Thread: Barrel Length For Alaskan 375....

Default Barrel Length For Alaskan 375....

Question for you guys who have BTDT. May be able to move up to Alaska in the near future, and am considering adding a 375 to my safe before coming up. I've always been fascinated with the round and have barely resisting getting one even before Alaska became a possiblity.

Here's the drill. I'm left handed and I have been advised by the majority of Alaskans I've asked to go with stainless steel rifles. That leaves me three options:
    !. Re-barrel a LH Remington 700 SS in 7MM RUM I have in the safe.
    2. Buy a NIB Browning Stainless Stalker A Bolt w/ iron sights.
    3. Order up a Special order LH SS 700 Safari in 375 from the Remington Custom Shop.

#2 is the easist and quickest option. The only reservation I have about the SS A Bolt is it's 26" barrel. I suspect this may be a bit long, as I have one in 338. It's noticably less handy than my LH 700 338 with a 24" barrel. I would rather have a 22" barrel to balance handling with performance.

#1, I would have a re-barrel done with a 22" tube and quality iron sights. The rub is the one year delivery estimated by the gunsmiths in ND who can do this. Also, the final price would be nearly that of a new SS A Bolt.

3. Forget it. At least one year delivery and $1600 price tag. I can buy two NIB A Bolts for that.

#4. Forget it and rely on either my 26" SS A Bolt 338 or my blued 24" 700 338. This of course means I don't get to add a new caliber to the safe...

So the question is this. Is the 26" barrel on the A Bolt too long for all around Alaska hunting? Hard to imagine maneuvering that in cover hunting big bear...

Thanks
    NDT

You're .338 should work just fine, but I understand the lure of the .375 H&H. I bought one for much the same reason....I just wanted one.

You could have the barrel on an A-bolt chopped to 22" and re-install the front sight. This might be the cheapest and most expeditious way to get a .375 into your rifle collection. A friend had this done to a Model 70 Classic, and it turned out really well.

I am partial to re-barreling. I have two rifles of my own that I had re-barreled, and I am very happy with them. If a gunsmith couldn't get the work done in less than a year, I would find a new gunsmith. Depending on where in Alaska you are moving to, there is a good gunsmith in Anchorage (Stan Jackson). His prices are very reasonable, and he usually has a 2-week turn around on a re-barrel job. You could move up with all the necessary parts, and have them put together once you are here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The 26" barrel will do fine. There are a lot of hunters out there using 26" barrels...

If you are going to try to be an Assistant Guide and need the rifle for back up brown bear hunting in thick alders, then by all means have the barrel cut down!

But if you are going to use the rifle for an all around moose, caribou, black bear, and brown bear rifle you'll be able to get away with the 26"er..... IMHO!

I second the statement by Dan that the .338 would work!

- Clint

Actual chronograph results show an insignificant decrement in external ballistics down to a 20" barrel length. There has been almost universal satisfaction in individuals who have shortened 375 HH barrels to 20" to 22". There will be an increase in muzzle blast that is more than compensated for by the increased handling characteristics. It's your call.

Appreciate it guys. Seems pretty obvious that the 338 Magnum is a great all around rifle for your neck of the woods.

Might just have to order up a Browning 375. If I was right handed, I probably would all ready have two!...
    NDT

"You could have the barrel on an A-bolt chopped to 22" and re-install the front sight. This might be the cheapest and most expeditious way to get a .375 into your rifle collection. A friend had this done to a Model 70 Classic, and it turned out really well."

I believe he is talking about my model 70. I had it cut and crowned right at 20". Handles and shoots great. This guy sure did not notice the shorter barrel.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I believe he is talking about my model 70. I had it cut and crowned right at 20". Handles and shoots great. This guy sure did not notice the shorter barrel.
    YUP!! I was talking about your rifle. Do you have to keep showing me that bear picture, though?

My Sako in 375 H&H came from the factory with a 18.5 inch barrel! It gets my attention when I touch off a round but it sure is handy!

How about a MRC? Then drop it in your stock of choice and enjoy!

My last 375 was on a standard stainless ruger with the barrel cut to 20". Packed real well and never notice or cared about velocity. Easliy did 2500 with a 300.

The RUM rebarrel will not feed unless you go with a 375 rum. The feed rails are too fat now for the "smaller" H&H case. The Browning would do well and I would clip the barrel off to 20 or 22" Toss the brake away and put a good tough from sight.

Thanks for the info, Bighorn...

Spoiled One, that's one of the reasons I'm doing me darndest to finally get up there. I want to take a bear like that before I get too blessed old to run the hills...