Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Heavy .45 Bullet

Default New Heavy .45 Bullet

Have been shooting several different heavy bullets from different moulds and different casters, and working up loads for my New Model Blackhawk. Some of the best I've found, and ones my gun likes best are the 45-270-SAA, a 315 grain 'Keith' from a LBT mould, and a 300 grain GC from a RCBS mould. All three are good bullets, but for one reason or another I haven't been completely satisfied with any of them. I searched extensively for the design I had in mind, which would combine the best features of these three bullets but couldn't find it. Some came close, but none was exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps that mould is already out there and I've only succeeded in reinventing the wheel, but if so I was unable to find it...

So, let me introduce my new baby; the 45-340-NMB:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-340 NMB.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	64325

Here it is with the other three for comparison:

Name:	Comparison.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	64326

Cast with Lyman #2 it drops at about 345 grains, and preliminary loading over 15 to 17 grains VV N110 indicate it shoots like a laser. I'm quite pleased, and reckon tinkering with this one will keep me busy for awhile.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Who made the mold up for ya? Looks good . . . so what would it take ta get ya to drop 15 or 20 in the mail?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy. Accurate made the mould. I'm not set up to cast my own right now and only have a limited supply on hand from the first run; I sent the mould to Dave Jennings at Montana Bullet works to cast some for me. He likes the bullet and says he'd like to add it to his product line, but he had a small issue with the way the mould was set up, so it's going back to Tom at Accurate Molds for tweeking. Should be back in Jennings hands in a few weeks.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Thats a nice looking bullet design!

Nice little whopper!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks I'll drop Dave an email. Looks like a great 45 or 454 boolit. Snyd ya think that will feed in the Puma in a 454 case?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here's the link to Tom's catalog if you're interested in the mould: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-350B-D.png
    #Resist

Nice looking bullet!

I cast for years with a propane burner or a Coleman stove and an old SS pot before I got an electric casting furnace. With the newer Lee bullets that are lubed in a bucket you don't even need a sized...but you will for that beauty!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Lovely, just lovely. I have some accurate molds. Very nice indeed.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

...I'm quite pleased, and reckon tinkering with this one will keep me busy for awhile.
    Well, I guess I was wrong (about the tinkering part). Guess I'll just load up a lifetime supply of these, and forget about it.

Name:	340 NMB.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	64998
    #Resist

Dang! Nice job there! Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

That there should do the trick.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wow. I met iofthetaiga at one of the public ranges this afternoon. My Redhawk shot best group ever. 15 feet, single action, no rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 340nmb.jpg  

I was able to crony some of these today.
    A 20 round group yielded an average of 989 FPS, 25 SD.
    Recipe was:
    16.1 +/- 0.1 grains VV-N110
    new Starline brass
    Federal Match primers
    #Resist

Are you going to bump it up any or leaver er' be? That sounds like a nice mild shootin load for a heavy 45. I've have some N110 but I have yet to load any 45 C or 454 with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I was able to crony some of these today.
    A 20 round group yielded an average of 989 FPS, 25 SD.
    Recipe was:
    16.1 +/- 0.1 grains VV-N110
    new Starline brass
    Federal Match primers

N110 is a great powder but very expensive. Very clean burning and consistent, I understand that they use virgin cotton for the cellulose instead of the various cheaper sources the other guys use. If it was the same price as the other stuff I won't use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Are you going to bump it up any or leaver er' be? That sounds like a nice mild shootin load for a heavy 45. I've have some N110 but I have yet to load any 45 C or 454 with it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've loaded it to 17 grains which is pretty snappy, but I haven't crony'd that load. I'm happy at 16 grains; 900-1000 FPS is exactly what I was aiming for. It's extremely accurate, and 345 grains of .45 lead moving at 980-1000 FPS has all the downrange energy I could need for any purpose IMO. I could burn more powder and get another 200 FPS, but for what purpose?
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    N110 is a great powder but very expensive. Very clean burning and consistent, I understand that they use virgin cotton for the cellulose instead of the various cheaper sources the other guys use. If it was the same price as the other stuff I won't use anything else.
    There are different ways to look at it, and everyone has different priorities and perspectives. You could say "powder is powder, and VV is just really expensive", or you can say that "you get what you pay for." A common statement against VV (probably from guys who most of whom have never actually tried it) is something like "sure it's a lot cleaner, but for the price difference, I'll do a little more cleaning, after all you have to clean the gun anyway." To that I say, "well, not necessarily." I have run several hundred rounds of this load through this gun, without having to clean the bore. I just wipe down the exterior. Eventually I get enough lube buildup inside the frame that I need to spend a few minutes there. But as long as I stick to this load, I don't need to clean the bore. Now that I have this load dialed in, I'm going to shoot it exclusively and see if I can't go indefinitely without having to put a patch through the bore ever again. The price difference is worth it to me, if only for the entertainment value of the experiment.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I've loaded it to 17 grains which is pretty snappy, but I haven't crony'd that load. I'm happy at 16 grains; 900-1000 FPS is exactly what I was aiming for. It's extremely accurate, and 345 grains of .45 lead moving at 980-1000 FPS has all the downrange energy I could need for any purpose IMO. I could burn more powder and get another 200 FPS, but for what purpose?
    I hear ya, makes perfect sense. If it works don't fix it!

I've have some N110 but I have yet to load any 45 C or 454 with it.
    For reference, my starting point was inspired by the following recipe from "The Taffin Tests" article, with which I'm sure you are familiar. The SSK 340 has similar weight and bearing surface area as my bullet.

HEAVYWEIGHT BULLET LOADS FOR RUGER BLACKHAWK 
AND SIMILAR SIZED SIXGUNS:
    BULLET LOAD MV

SSK 340 gr. FN
    19.5 gr. H110 1162

SSK 340 gr. FN
    17.0 gr. VV N110* 1181
    *most accurate
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast