Thread: Tomorrow morning...

Default Tomorrow morning...

Anyone going out tomorrow? Anyone want to but doesn't have a plan? Juuust curious! Might have an opening...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

went out to leaf lake today, had 2 shots and we got them, nothing flying, did see a couple moose, nothing fying (again for emphasis) did quite a bit of running around swan and the local area when leaving, nothing sitting there in any numbers at all. Going someplace tomorrow, not sure where, taking 2 others with me and can't hunt dl cus my dl boat is too small for 3 and a dog. Bud
    Wasilla

never been to DL... considering going. not sure about the portage, i am also by myself so I dont know if its a good idea to go somewhere new alone. I'll probably just head to maud and hope for the best....I have a come-a-long...if i could portage with that...from rabbit slough...? don't know, stressed lol.

Just have a quick species questing for you. I shot a hen of some species it was big like a mallard but where the blue and white stripes on the wings should have been there was a strip of a kind of maroon color. Black beak and kind of a dark grey/black colored feet. Any idea what kind of duck? Thanks!

Default Tomorrow morning...

Canvasback?

Do you have a pic?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Gadwall is my current guess without pics.

Mine would be some kind of diver, gadwall will have orange feet and white and black speculums and the bill is a small version of a hen mallard bill.

Sounds like a gadwall, but I could be wrong. 375, I gotta go in to work for about 30 minutes at 1000 but after that I would be free, if you dont mind getting a late start.

Wrong color of feet, speculum, and bill for gadwall. I'm starting to think canvasback as well, Grouse can you describe the shape of the bill?

Can's don't have any color on their wings. My best guess is that it was a hen pintail.

The wing is all that remains of the bird and I am trying to get my buddy to send my a picture of it. But it was black and when I got to it there wasnt much left of the head because that is where the majority of the bb's hit. But it was kinda shaped like a spoonie but it wasn't nearly as long and it wasn't spoon like either. If that makes any since.

Canvasback or maybe a greater scaup, if I remember right, they can have some maroon like coloring on them. I would love to see the pics, I really like a good duck mystery. Maybe AKDUCKMAN can help us out, he is a waterfowl ID master!

Okay well I am not sure when I am going to get that picture but here is my Saturday story. We walked upstream to clear water and then crossed at the first shallow part and be were at the edge of the marsh where we were checking the time, 7:40. So I went over the basics with my buddy which was his first time ever hunting. As soon as the clock struck 7:50 we started off. We flushed a few at 50-60 yards out and didn't even bother to try shooting and kept going. We then flushed another one and between the 3 of us we took 3 shots and dropped one duck which was a teal. But as soon as we shot we could see for miles out 50+ ducks jumped up and flew off. We only got to shoot at a group of 3 ducks and only dropped one of them too. About 3 quarters of the way to Palmer slough a flock of 8-9 canada's flew right over our heads at 15-20 yards up and we just emptied our guns and not a single one of them fell from the sky. I was so mad but I got over it and finished our way to Palmer slough and walked it all the way to Cottonwood Creek and followed that back to the parking lot. It was a super fun/extremely hard hunt but it was all worth it! We probably saw 500+ geese on Saturday and I just cant wait to find a way to get over there. Maybe I will go on a 12 mile walk next weekend if they are still going to be there.