Thread: 300 WSM and the 200 grain Accubond - help!

Default 300 WSM and the 200 grain Accubond - help!

Does anybody have a favorite powder for this combo? My problem arose when I went hunting with a 220 grain partition, that was a perfect choice.....on paper (up to 450 yards). The recovered bullet(s) from the black bear was far from what I expected, as were the number of shots to drop him. I've shot blackies with my .270 factory ammo with better results. So I went back to the drawing board, threw the partition out and went looking at the Accubond and the Barnes TSX.

My problem: I'm stuck on making the 200 grain Accubond fly nicely. The reasoning: Balisitic charts show the 200 grain to have around 2600 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards, and still moving at 2425 fps. It can reach out to 500 yards before loosing minimum recommendations for the accubond. The 180 grain, and the 220 grain fall short after 325 yards or so.

I've tried the most accurate powder (IMR7828) from the Nosler Reloading guide 6, and walked away from the range ready to give up. Since then I've tried the RL-19 (1" 1/2) groups at 100 yds. The RL-22 at max produced the best results with 1/2 group at 100, but it produces a slight sticky bolt, case is fine. With the RL-22, when I drop back on the load...i'm back to an inch and 1/2 groupings.

My next try at powder is the Magpro by Accurate. Has anybody used this powder or have a favorite powder that I haven't tried? Tired of throwing money at this, but am determined to make this pig fly!

I don't have access to my reloading data right now, but I have had incredible results in the short mags using ReLoader 17. R17 was made especialy for the WSMs. All but one of my pet loads are based on R-17, 325WSM, 270WSM, 300WSM, and 30-06.

I also would not change what works based on a single lot of good bullets or one animal that refused to die. Have seen similar results with about all the major bullets and calibers.

One other detail I have found to be true, at least for me and the rifle I load for and that is Accubonds like to be seated close to the lands, all my best loads are seated about .005 off the lands.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for the information! I agree on a single animal that refused to die, and have pondered that aspect a lot. The partition is a good bullet, my downfall (learning lesson) was that it was a compressed load and was moving fast on a short shot. It blew apart quickly upon impact, but did retain the core. I'm not familiar with Reloader 17, but will be soon, again Thx. I'm fairly new to reloading (year or so), so haven't played with the seating of the lands, although I have investigated it and heard it makes a big difference. My total length came to 2.932 after chambered.

I also mis spoke on the 180 grain accubond, upon double checking, as I put in the the wrong BC (it was for the Barnes TSX). The 180 is still good to about 500 yards, although the 200 retains more energy and fps.

Really appreciate the info on R-17, especially since I know it works for you.

I use RL17 in my .300WSM with great results.

I don't load 200gr bullets as I've found 180 ABs to be excellent performers in the WSM. I'm loading them slightly under max at about 2950fps with sub-MOA accuracy.

The 200gr AB should be doable, albeit it is a long bullet and depending on your magazine length may have to be seated pretty deeply...you may not be able to launch them as fast as you might otherwise seated longer. If your 200gr bullets don't work out then I would certainly try the 180s...most folks are more than happy with them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm with Hodgeman,, I think 180 Accubonds work great, at least for me.

All these were taken with a 30-06 shooting reloads, Reloader 17 and 180 Accubond 2917 fps.

Have photos of the bullet damage if you want to see them.

500 yard kill.

140 yards

186 yards

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have shot a few 180 AB down range with RL-19, and have to admit my WSM loves the 180. I'm probably chasing a rabbit that I shouldn't, but i'm 1/2 way down the hole all ready and don't like to give up. Sounds like the favorite combination here is the RL-17. If that doesn't work, I will admit defeat and be happy with the 180 AB. Loading a ladder with the Accurate Magpro now, taking Nosler's recommendation of a seating depth of 0.03 less than the seating depth.

Appreciate all the feedback!

MagPro has given me terrific ballistics and accuracy in the 270 WSM, but may be a bit slow in the 300. At least you should not have any pressure signs like the stiff bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    One other detail I have found to be true, at least for me and the rifle I load for and that is Accubonds like to be seated close to the lands, all my best loads are seated about .005 off the lands.
    Same here.

AKgrizhunter...
    I've settled on IMR 4007 SSC in my 325wsm, excellent accuracy and velocity. Hodgon has load for the 300wsm and 110-200gr bullets.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    MagPro has given me terrific ballistics and accuracy in the 270 WSM, but may be a bit slow in the 300. At least you should not have any pressure signs like the stiff bolt.
    drow - The MagPro did indeed give me nice accuracy. Seemed it really liked the 62 grains of Magpro.(3 shots cut each other @ 100 yd). The chrony said 2361 fps, but load data suggests around 2800 fps. (I was shooting late, with very low light, so I am assuming the Chrony is off.) I'm going to load up a few more and try on a bright sunny day. Either way, I think you hit the nail on the head with it "may be a bit slow" , but I walked off the range with a grin tonight!