Thread: Pressure Canning Moose in BBQ Sauce?

Default Pressure Canning Moose in BBQ Sauce?

I need some advice about pressure jarring moose in BBQ sauce. Has anyone done this before? Ideally I'd like a "BBQ pulled pork" type product where I can pop the lid and throw it in a sandwich and much down.

I have been reading about this and have yet to find a clear example of someone doing this.

Important to that that I've already cooked the moose (mostly trimmings) in BBQ sauce in the crock pot. I've been cycling the moose through two crock pots all week while I've been at work.

My concerns are with Bolulism contamination but have read that I should add citric acid and will look for some today. Also, I'm concerned that the BBQ sauce will really burn when cooked under pressure and it will turn out pretty terrible, probably ruining a few jars.

I can always just put the stuff in bags and vac seal it but I am out of freezer space and was looking forward to having some of my moose in jars. From what I have been reading I should have probably left the sauce out of it, boiled the moose then jarred it. BBQ sauce could have been added later.

So.....think I can safely and somewhat deliciously pressure jar this or should I vac seal it find a way to free up some freezer space? Any experience with this type of thing?

thanks!

Bayrunner.

I really don't have any advice on the jarring part but lunch at your house sure sounds tasty
    You can get the citric acid at Wal-mart in the canning and jarring area.

Thanks alaskabliss. It should be okay. I should say that didn't use the best parts of the moose though, a lot of dried rib meat etc. The crock pot was an attempt to soften it up. I think pressure canning will dry out the meat again, possibly making it quite though (if not burnt as well).

I decided that for the time being I will vac seal it and find a spot in the freezer, that way I can do a little more "research" before trying to pressure jar it. As before, any experience and or advice is appreciated.

You can cube some meat and hot pack it. Common to add broth or tomato sauce, BBQ should be no different. Maybe thin it a bit with water.

Cook meats until rare, pack jar leaving 1" head space add BBQ sauce and process at 11# for 90 min.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It isn't necessary to hot pack even tough meat if you don't want to take the time. I routinely raw pack smoked ribs with excellent results. The citric acid is also completely unnecessary if the meat is processed in an actual pressure cooker (which is the only safe way to preserve everything but acidic fruit/vegetables). My experience with sugar in smoked canned fish is that it might burn a little bit but only in the top of the jar outside the liquid. Also I have found everything becomes more intense once jarred so a thinner sauce would probably be better. Follow the guidelines for pressure cooking meat in the publications put out by the cooperative extension service and you will be perfectly safe. good luck and enjoy!

If you've already cooked it then it will just dry out more canning. Best luck ice had is raw meat packed in the jar. Used to spend a lot of time hot packing but results didnt warrant the extra work. It's fun to experiment though

Default Re: Pressure Canning Moose in BBQ Sauce?

Wonder if you could do this with retort bags and have a foil packaged product.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

+1 on most of the items mentioned. I have canned deer meat with BBQ sauce, Italian dressing and anything else I could think of. Moose should not be any different. Cut raw pieces in cubes and push it down in the jars tight. You don't have to cut off the white stuff because it will cook away and you will never even know it. Leave about 1" head space. The meat will cook down in smaller pieces and develop its own "gravy". It will NOT dry out if you do it this way. You can add BBQ sauce or whatever you want in it. I use bouillon cubes, garlic cloves, jalapeno peppers, or anything that you want. I try different things and write on the top of the lid what I added so I can remember for next year. Just like TWB said, as long as you cook it 90 minutes under pressure, you don't have to worry about anything. Its really easy. When they cool the lids will 'pop' and you can tell they have a good seal because you cannot push down on the little button on top. If you can push down on the button on the lid, put them in the fridge and eat them first. At this point, you can even remove the rings on top and use them again to can more stuff. The jars will still maintain a vacuum without the rig once they are sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    It isn't necessary to hot pack even tough meat if you don't want to take the time. I routinely raw pack smoked ribs with excellent results. The citric acid is also completely unnecessary if the meat is processed in an actual pressure cooker (which is the only safe way to preserve everything but acidic fruit/vegetables). My experience with sugar in smoked canned fish is that it might burn a little bit but only in the top of the jar outside the liquid. Also I have found everything becomes more intense once jarred so a thinner sauce would probably be better. Follow the guidelines for pressure cooking meat in the publications put out by the cooperative extension service and you will be perfectly safe. good luck and enjoy!
    What he said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the advice. I have a friend coming over to learn how to pressure jar salmon tomorrow so the canner will be in use for a few days but I'll jar up the moose soon and report back. I do have a little bit of moose trimmings that I didn't run through the crock pot yet so I'll try jarring those raw pieces as well. It sounds like they likely will turn out better than the pre-cooked stuff. Whoever said it is fun to experiment with these things, That's the way that I feel. It sure is a lot of fun.

How do you fit a moose into a jar? Or, where do you find a jar big enough for a moose?

Srsly though, it's a blast canning your own meats. I cut up the meat in about 1" cubes and pack them raw. Most of the time I just add a pinch of salt on the top before putting the lid on and sticking them in the canner. But when I want to experiment, I might add some onion or jalapenos to the jar or red pepper flakes. One of my favorites is adding some Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. It doesn't take much, maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon into each jar.

One thing you want to watch for, I had this problem when I first started canning, I didn't screw the lids down snug when putting them in the canner. Some would seal (pop) after taking them out but about 1/4 of them would not. When I started tightening them by just snugging them down, I started to have 100% success nearly every time.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.