Thread: Winter nap for HB Freighter ??

Default Winter nap for HB Freighter ??

Just wondering how you guys put up your freighters for a winter nap..without a garage ??? Thanks for any pics or solutions

If on trailer I put it between 2 trees 25 foot apart with a 2 X 6 supported by trees and braced in boat and tarped worked well, but then there is danger of trees falling so pick them wisely. Or turn it over and tarp it, make sure all water is out of center bottom pipe or it can freeze and cause problems.

While not a HB, we do have multiple freighter canoes. We store them upside-down, blocked up in at least two locations.

If you have a lift or other similar thing, you want to be careful about storing it where it is resting on anything that isn't directly supported through the canoe. If a lift is locked in the "up" position and the canoe is held further off the ground, the snow load can put a ton (or tons as it may work out....) of force into whatever is holding that lift up and can fatigue the members. If you are supporting it on the lift, have the lift in the down position so the load is transferred directly through the mounting plate to the transome.

My Scott's in hibernation now. Upside down, right next to shed (so no falling trees) setting on some large crates so the gunnels are off the ground, and tripley-tarped.

lifts can be installed so they come off in about 30 SEC. with only 3 pins to pull , them they you can top it on a car/ TK. don't need a trailer or special rack to hold it up on the TK, I think