Thread: greatest hunt with out pulling a trigger

Default greatest hunt with out pulling a trigger

So not typically one to share stories on the internet but I thought I would give it a go for one of the most successful hunts ever where a trigger was never pulled. I grew up pretty much as city as city could be and one of the greatest joys from childhood were those weekends spent in the woods outside the city hunting deer with my dad. Like most my dad introduced me to hunting at a very early age and taught me how to be a responsible hunter with a core set of values.. Growing up my dad always shared his passion of Alaska and back then I never completely understood it.. He finally was able to move and make a home in Alaska after he retired and his dream was finally complete or so I thought. Well as time went by I became a guide among other things so our time hunting together became minimal as I was always working during the seasons. Somewhere along the way the economy caught up with my dad and forced him back to work so even when I had time he had to work.. Well a few months back we decided to try to do a hunt together and the logical choice was the Kenai bear hunt, low cost and I have lots of friends and resources on the peninsula. I only get to see my dad about once a year so needless to say I was excited to see him. Well I finally picked up my dad and the hunt was on. Realizing that time waits for nobody my hunt tragedy had to be altered to accommodate my 70 yo dad but none the less the hunt was on. Opening morning was spent glassing an area that I had been watching a good sized bear but never could find him .. We moved to several other areas spent a lot of time on the lake and river ,called in all the favors and had eyes all over the peninsula spotting for bears.. In the end no big boars to be found…. Lots of sows and small bears around but nothing either of us were willing to take. At the end of the hunt I came to a conclusion that this was one of the greatest hunts I have ever been part of…Why…. Because I spent the entire week with the one person who is responsible for everything I have done and made me the person I am today and to me that is so much greater then pulling a trigger… plans are already in place for next year’s hunt and we will have a new partner, my 3yo son will be joining in….
    Dave

Great you were able to spend time with your dad Dave. Add the grandkid to the mix next year, even better. Enjoy the little ones while you can, before you know it they're all grown up and have flown the coop.

Thanks for posting this,

Yep.........never squander a chance to be with Dad in the bush. My last hunt with Dad was back in 97' as we lost him in 99'. We got to hunt elk in CO. which was something he and I had always wanted to do since I could remember. It is a memory I will always treasure.....

Glad you had a great time...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice story, Dave; family hunts are definitely the best, trigger pulling or no. Took my 5 year old on her first moose hunt this season; even though the weather was spotty, we didn't see any animals, and the wheeler broke down, it ranks right up there for me. She spent a lot of time just riding around with Grandpa, and he had to talk her into heading back to camp a couple times- she didn't want to leave the field!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Now that sounds like the best hunt ever Dave! The last time I got to hunt with my father was in 1996, since then he and I have been on two completely different schedules and can never link up. I would give up just about everything to be able to spend that time afield with him again.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would give up just about everything to be able to spend that time afield with him again.
    You just HAVE to make it happen. Like I sad earlier Dad and I had wanted to elk hunt in CO. for years and years and it seemed like it never would happen. At the time I was guiding here and I guided a father and son that lived in CO. Springs. I called the guy and he said he had some free time, so I set it all up with him and then called Dad. Dad couldn't believe it when I called him about it. At 70 years old he was a bit hesitant, but he said let's do it. It was the last hunt we had together so you can imagine how happy I am that it came to be.

You can talk about it all you want and life gets shorter. Like I said, sometimes you REALLY have to take the "bull by the horns" or it just may never happen. Make it a priority!

Good Luck to you both...!!!

My dad could drive off a cliff today and I wouldn't bat an eye... Good riddance to a real turd... You guys with great relationships with your dads is great, little envious considering what I have. Great story as well!

My Dad never took me anywhere, but behind the wood shed. However, my own Son and I just returned from a hunt in which no blood was drawn. It was also a great trip in which Father and Son shared so much more than hunting.

In this fast paced world we live in, it is often easy to find reasons NOT to do something together. Yet when someone passes away the first thing they say, "is I wish we had done more together."

Congratulations to Father and Son on a great trip and may the Lord see to it that you both get to share many, many, more. A three generations hunt will be a memory builder for sure, please share the detail once accomplished.

Thanks for sharing

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Bear, thanks for sharing a great story, it's not always about squeezing the trigger. What I would not give to have dad around to hunt one more time, he was taken way to early. On a brighter side it's good to be able to share what we had with my lil one.

One of the best hunts ever made a best ever type stories.Salute
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well, my Dad interested me in doing for myself, and so I try and have my kids participating in the experiance, but you never really know what your Kids are gonna do till they do it.

Time spent with your parents or kids is never wasted
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default greatest hunt with out pulling a trigger

Dave,
    Sorry I didn't catch up on with you, but congrats on your great hunt... I believe I also had my two best hunts by far this week although they were small black bears and my car ended up rolling 30' down the mountainside after my second hunt. Must say it was quite the week! Congrats again!
    -Matt

Bear. Great write up! Some pictures would be cool too of you two. I was able to have my Dad up here this year for a bear hunt. And at 56, he believes he's getting old. I always assure him he's got a solid 30 years left in the field. Hell, I'll carry the old guy around until he decides to give up.

That hunt was my favorite of all time. Having him teach me growing up as well, to return the favor with a nice Alaska Peninsula Bear was incredible. We learned far more about eachother then we had ever thought and we bonded even further then ever.

I, as well, plan to have him up here next year! Or, one of his other dreams, an elk hunt in the lower 48. We'll see what happens, but just a week with your favorite person in the world is insurmountable.

But, once a year is not enough. Get your asss down there to hang with him!!

Congratulations On Your Hunt ! That sounds like you had a great time. That is the fuel of life, sharing time and memories with the people close to you. The best hunts I have had are the ones that I have shared with the people I care about the most. Great Post !
    Pick A Spot

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I was able to have my Dad up here this year for a bear hunt. And at 56, he believes he's getting old.
    Man I sure hope not. I'm 56, and although I know I'm not as strong in some ways that I used to be, in my head I still feel in my 30s. I killed a nice blackie last week after a 50 year old buddy and I hiked almost halfway up a goat mountain. And I have to say I don't think I/we did half bad. If he thinks he's getting old, all he needs to do is exercise more and he'll feel a lot better about himself. Tell him I said that....lol.

When Dad and I went elk hunting in CO. he celebrated his 70th birthday. After we did a lot of walking around at upwards of 10k feet elevation, I asked him if he felt 10 years younger? He said without any hesitation...."You bet I do...!!!"

I have to say that the old saying is true.....You don't slow down because you get old....you get old because you slow down. At 56 I have to agree with that. If your Dad is in good health, try and get him out in the bush more and he'll realize he's not that old.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Man I sure hope not. I'm 56, and although I know I'm not as strong in some ways that I used to be, in my head I still feel in my 30s. I killed a nice blackie last week after a 50 year old buddy and I hiked almost halfway up a goat mountain. And I have to say I don't think I/we did half bad. If he thinks he's getting old, all he needs to do is exercise more and he'll feel a lot better about himself. Tell him I said that....lol.

When Dad and I went elk hunting in CO. he celebrated his 70th birthday. After we did a lot of walking around at upwards of 10k feet elevation, I asked him if he felt 10 years younger? He said without any hesitation...."You bet I do...!!!"

I have to say that the old saying is true.....You don't slow down because you get old....you get old because you slow down. At 56 I have to agree with that. If your Dad is in good health, try and get him out in the bush more and he'll realize he's not that old.
    Thanks for that saying! I'm pulling that one on him! "You don't slow down because you get old....you get old because you slow down" I had him out this time for that bear hunt. He lost 26 pounds and I was extremely impressed in what he did! We hiked ALOT! I told him I was astonished at how easily he kept up. Once I get him back out, I hope he keeps it off. We'll see. I know he's not old, he's just feeling down. I just gotta get him to move to AK!!