Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Any interest in Linebaugh Seminar???

  1. #1
    Member wildwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kenai/Soldotna
    Posts
    450

    Default Any interest in Linebaugh Seminar???

    Have spoken to John Linebaugh about doing one of his big bore handgun / penetration / shooting seminars here in Alaska a few times now. Sounds like folks have talked about trying to get one set in Alaska for many years now and just not enough interest. It's been a few years, so thought I would throw out the question--who would be interested in a weekend seminar of big bore custom revolvers, hand loading and a bunch of shooting with Linebaugh himself? Likely a two day seminar with a lot of range time, and most likely around Anchortown and spring time just before the sportsmans show.

    He has no plans to do it yet, just trying to gauge interest and see if folks are interested enough to get him here. Seminar is upwards of a couple hundred dollars and we would need several dozen of us to make it work.

    Please share thoughts/interest.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    John who??


    I'm sure I'd be interested depending on logistics/ scheduling you know. What month?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  3. #3
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I'd tag in if at all possible. Sounds like a good time, keep us posted.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    466

    Default

    What is the real price tag?

    "upwards of a couple hundred dollars" and "several dozen attendees" kinda suggest we need to come up with $10,000 at least to make this happen...

  5. #5

    Default

    My buddy went to one of these events recently in Cody at John's place, back in the spring. He was VERY disappointed. His main comment was "Doesn't Linebaugh realize that the word "seminar" implies that there will be some sort of presentation or teaching?" He said that basically all that occured was that everyone would meet for breakfast, shoot the breeze for a couple of hours, then go to the range and blast away for the afternoon. Fun enough, but not anything you couldn't do on your own somewhere.

    Nothing was provided by Linebaugh in the way of guns, ammo, reloading equipment, etc. He was pretty much just there and willing to talk, but not unless you brought something up. He made no presentations or demonstrations. I think he even left at one point to go feed cattle. There were some interesting guns at the event, but all brought by other attendees. My buddy said John was a heck of a nice guy, and interesting to talk to, but that the "seminar" wasn't even worth the price of admission, let alone the travel it took him to get there.

    We both still respect Linebaugh's writings, cartridge development, and gunsmithing, but my friend's experience tainted our opinion a little. I had wanted to go to one of these events myself. But I think I'll pass unless I hear several reports to the contrary.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    I'd be all about it if it was held in Alaska, but I try not to go anywhere near anchorage.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  7. #7
    Member wildwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kenai/Soldotna
    Posts
    450

    Default

    If we were able to get one put together I would expect the cost to be around $250 for the two days.

    No idea if we could make it happen since I would think we would need at least 20 people, not sure.

    I thought around April would be a good time to burn powder and get out to the range and summers are always hard to get folks together between all out fishing/shrimping/hunting window of May-Sept.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

  8. #8
    Member Silvertipgrizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Ak
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I'd be interested

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default thanks for the information

    Thanks for the information as to what these seminars actually are - I would have expected something more worthwhile for my money.

    Maybe someone else can give us some additional information or an agenda for the proposed seminar?



    Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    My buddy went to one of these events recently in Cody at John's place, back in the spring. He was VERY disappointed. His main comment was "Doesn't Linebaugh realize that the word "seminar" implies that there will be some sort of presentation or teaching?" He said that basically all that occured was that everyone would meet for breakfast, shoot the breeze for a couple of hours, then go to the range and blast away for the afternoon. Fun enough, but not anything you couldn't do on your own somewhere.

    Nothing was provided by Linebaugh in the way of guns, ammo, reloading equipment, etc. He was pretty much just there and willing to talk, but not unless you brought something up. He made no presentations or demonstrations. I think he even left at one point to go feed cattle. There were some interesting guns at the event, but all brought by other attendees. My buddy said John was a heck of a nice guy, and interesting to talk to, but that the "seminar" wasn't even worth the price of admission, let alone the travel it took him to get there.

    We both still respect Linebaugh's writings, cartridge development, and gunsmithing, but my friend's experience tainted our opinion a little. I had wanted to go to one of these events myself. But I think I'll pass unless I hear several reports to the contrary.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I would have expected something more worthwhile for my money.
    Needless to say, so did we.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Roy Weatherby uses to do this for free.Of course he did make some money selling rifles after his great talk and films.For what it would cost me I could just buy a gun and figure it out
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    For $250 I can put together another thousand rounds of .500 S&W reloads or about double that in .44 Mag. From what I've heard so far that looks like a better option for the money.


    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Roy Weatherby uses to do this for free.Of course he did make some money selling rifles after his great talk and films.For what it would cost me I could just buy a gun and figure it out
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Oh I don't know.... I can do a lot of stuff with 250 bucks as well, but I'd like to spend a weekend shooting and bs'ing with John Linebaugh and other pistol enthusiasts. I've ready many other first hand accounts of Linebaugh seminars and they were the opposite of what we heard in this thread.

    I talked to John on the phone last summer for about a half hour. I called him out of the clear blue asking him about one of his guns I saw for sale here locally and about doing a custom build. He could have blown me off but he kept the conversation rolling. I got a good impression of the man from that conversation so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and save my judgement of him and his seminars until I have first hand experience. Too bad others won't do the same.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default I'm waiting for more feedback...

    As I remarked- I'll waiting for more information before I rule the seminar out for good. Based on what I've heard so far however- I'll pass.

    Hopefully we'll hear from others that have been to John's seminars - and a proposed and/or past agenda of a seminar would be most useful. I'm sure John is a great guy and very knowledgeable, but I still expect something decent for $250.

    I'll also see what feedback I can find on the web and pass on anything interesting.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Oh I don't know.... I can do a lot of stuff with 250 bucks as well, but I'd like to spend a weekend shooting and bs'ing with John Linebaugh and other pistol enthusiasts. I've ready many other first hand accounts of Linebaugh seminars and they were the opposite of what we heard in this thread.

    I talked to John on the phone last summer for about a half hour. I called him out of the clear blue asking him about one of his guns I saw for sale here locally and about doing a custom build. He could have blown me off but he kept the conversation rolling. I got a good impression of the man from that conversation so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and save my judgement of him and his seminars until I have first hand experience. Too bad others won't do the same.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and save my judgement of him and his seminars until I have first hand experience. Too bad others won't do the same.
    Please don't think I was bad mouthing Linebaugh. Far from it. My friend got the same impression of him that you have, it was just that he was not the most gifted presenter or teacher, at least on that occasion. I was only wanting to give my friend's first hand account of actually attending a seminar and his disappointment in case it might save others the same experience. I'd love to know that his experience was an anomaly.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    IMHO I would think someone of his notoriety would have a seminar outline/agenda rather than 'winging it'. If he is as reachable as has been mentioned- seems like it would be easy enough to find out what would be covered.
    Depending on what is covered and when, I would be interested (although I only have DA revolvers and may get run off the range).
    BEE

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    As I remarked- I'll waiting for more information before I rule the seminar out for good. Based on what I've heard so far however- I'll pass.

    Hopefully we'll hear from others that have been to John's seminars - and a proposed and/or past agenda of a seminar would be most useful. I'm sure John is a great guy and very knowledgeable, but I still expect something decent for $250.

    I'll also see what feedback I can find on the web and pass on anything interesting.

    Call him up and talk to him. 307 645-3332
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  18. #18

    Default

    Also, being out $250 might not be that big a deal. But my buddy had nearly $1,500 in it by the time you factored in travel and lodging. That made the disappointing experience a little harder to swallow.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default I'll give him a call...

    Certainly worth a phone call - thanks for the number. I'll post what I find out from him.

    Not a lot on the internet on his seminars but I found this one on the cast bullet forum: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97653


    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Call him up and talk to him. 307 645-3332
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Travel and lodging my be the big bust here in AK - or anywhere else with the high gas prices and airplane tickets etc. . If we could do it at the Birchwood range just north of Anchorage and use their camping facilities it would make it a lot easier/more affordable for many in Fairbanks etc. that drive into town. A big get-together, cookout, etc. would be a real blast and worth the price to most of us.

    Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Also, being out $250 might not be that big a deal. But my buddy had nearly $1,500 in it by the time you factored in travel and lodging. That made the disappointing experience a little harder to swallow.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •