Thread: What next?....Whitefish....?

Default What next?....Whitefish....?

Heres some photos of my Family doings......unfortunatly my SD slot took a dump with some photo card shuffling, but I have these in the bucket..
    Its been Fish sticks and Fishlogs in the net, with willows, ******heads, and grass galore, so fishing was a bust this flood stage year. I'm glad I have made up somewhat for it all and am poised to set a Whitefish net when the rains stop, theres should be a serious ammount of Egg leaden Roundnose cruising up , any day.

Weve dryed alotta meats indoors on strings and with the fan blowing, to keep them from moulding as best we could. Rain Rain Rain, floods and no good greens or berries... and the small freezer full of what Salmon we did catch, and very few dryed, we topped off with Ducks and Geese this year, and no dryed whitefish , either......looking forward to Whitefish

Kicked off September with Roustabout and his dad Eric arriving to remove a Moose, and we got busy soon enough. An adventure later and a grand Bull in the meat rack, they were free to join me and the wife on a short Caribou Hunt up river nd up we went.

i took along my then "new' and untryed caribou Lance...

Ive gotten proficiant with a lance ,might try an Atlatal soon...... as the Caribou I caught with the bow were not any more difficult than with a rifle this Summer, I figured Lanceing during this Hunt was very doable, and I put my trust in the pokey end of a Mosin Nagant Bayonett God Bless Sergi Mosin

Roustabout was along and Im sure as unimpressed as I was with my first 'Lanceing" pass, (shuks, it's my first Lancing...) but I did get it figured quite quickly and passed the Pointy Death Tool almost too easily through the uppr shoulder, Heart and embeded in the Briskets inside, a perfect Heart Piercing, and a very easy withdrawl, like a shot in the butt. The place I next tryed was from above and behind the last ribs and the pointy Death Tool slides into the heart easily, as well as piercing the liver, the diaphram, they die like being shot in the chest....not as quickly and painlessly as I prefer with the head shots Im used to , but suficciant in this doings of things that ends life. I stuck with this "Placement" for the rest.
    ZERO meat loss Tips didnt expand and at about 50 feet a second, the 10,000+ grain projectile plunged in was as effortless as pulling a trigger....

A few days after Chris and Eric left , the puddles started to stay frozen all day, and the time to get Bulls in thier prime was "Now"

So off we went....

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Almost forgot this pict....

We threw up a 'quick Meat rack' and have 'em hanging behind the house now........

And the Caribou Hide pile will grow

And become something beautifull agian, and a sleeping bag tooo (I sold mine this Summer)

Yep, the Wife and Daughters made all of it worthwhile, one stitch at a time..........Now I got's some gasoline and odd's n ends commin' for the Hunt to contenue, uninterrupted........

awesome chip...just plain awesome, most will never even come close to the experiences you have. thanks for posting

You are living the dream Stranger. Do you ever get to talk to our Social Worker Pam up in Kotz?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Havent crossed paths with her as of yet,... I dont know about a Dream, but it certainly becomes a Daze once inna while ~~LOL!!~~

Thanks for the post, Stranger. I was hoping to see your fall "doings" soon.

BTW, how do you tan your hides? Brains or commercial products?

Nice job Chip! Your wife and daughters do some amazing work!!! Love the use you found for the bayonet and am happy to hear you have the technique down pat. I will be patiently awaiting the atlatl results next season.

Pretty interesting on the lance Chip. Sorry you guys got hammered with all the rain. I absolutely hate cleaning out nets after high water, what a chore that is. Trying to catch some running round whitefish here right now, hope you guys can put some up. That is a dandy catch of caribou you guys put up, always love seeing the pics and hearing the stories of your life there!

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Roustabout was along and Im sure as unimpressed as I was with my first 'Lanceing" pass, (shuks, it's my first Lancing...) but I did get it figured quite quickly and passed the Pointy Death Tool almost too easily through the uppr shoulder, Heart and embeded in the Briskets inside, a perfect Heart Piercing, and a very easy withdrawl, like a shot in the butt. The place I next tryed was from above and behind the last ribs and the pointy Death Tool slides into the heart easily, as well as piercing the liver, the diaphram, they die like being shot in the chest....not as quickly and painlessly as I prefer with the head shots Im used to , but suficciant in this doings of things that ends life. I stuck with this "Placement" for the rest.
    ZERO meat loss Tips didnt expand and at about 50 feet a second, the 10,000+ grain projectile plunged in was as effortless as pulling a trigger....
    Ok, I understand where you are sticking these bou, but what I don't understand (or if you've said I've missed it) is how you are getting close enough for you do so? I know, (and have seen you head shoot them in the water from a boat) so are you "lancing" them in the water as well, or are you positioning yourself to ambush them somewhere? However you're doing it I commend you....YOU'RE A DA*N CAVEMAN....lol. I'd just like to be more clear on exactly how you are...

Thanks.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Bou Sticking Technique

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ok, I understand where you are sticking these bou, but what I don't understand (or if you've said I've missed it) is how you are getting close enough for you do so? I know, (and have seen you head shoot them in the water from a boat) so are you "lancing" them in the water as well, or are you positioning yourself to ambush them somewhere? However you're doing it I commend you....YOU'RE A DA*N CAVEMAN....lol. I'd just like to be more clear on exactly how you are...

Thanks.....
    I would be interested to know your technique also...and I too commend you. Whack em & stack em! Nice load of bou...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Is that a Mosin Nagant Bayonet
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Yes, my Mosin Nagant Pointy Death Tool, on a Stick....

The boats are both for persuit and travle, its legal to Lance them, but I wouldnt pass up some Snareing and Lanceing, if it were legal, THAT would be fun.

I use the boat to position my wife and kids to make their headshots, and they drive while I poke, its a Team effort. The first time I tryed as if I were alone in the boat ( I wasnt) to see if that was doable, like shooting with a .22lr, but I mucho preferrr the team works results, I feel pretty good up there, Hunting.
    I know for a fact that I could just sit in the Willows like a Bear and Poke plenty of Caribou while they pass, following deeply rutted Trails , trying to catch up and bunch up, as Rut has set in, but I have enough to get us through to Febuary or so. Might just do that anyway, Im thinking that could be fun and doable at a clff top,and poke em as they reach the top, along a long bend in out rivers......just let 'em make a Trail..........

Saw 4 Grey Wolves too, Mom, Pop and two large pups, Ravens alerted us to thier comming up the beach as they were cruizin' upriver and looking for scraps, the just kept comming but the river being at flood stage, they had to go up, as the beach ended in a cliff and walked along the cliffs top till the were above us, about 40 feet above and looking down at us for 1/2 a minute. The just walked along till they came to the creek willows and walked up into the Timber. It was Pretty cool to smile back at an Alpha Wolf.

Awsome stuff...always love to read the threads and daydream about living what I love. Your girls have some amazing skills!