Thread: Gearing up tips

Default Gearing up tips

Tis' that season....
    If you haven't spent the winter cleaning and oiling reels, repairing rods and gear, tying up flies or changing hooks...well you get the idea...now's the time to get after it.

If you have a gear tip for the 2007 season please share it!

Here one for spinning reels--
    If you bought line in bulk (non-braided) when it went on clearance and its been in storage for months DON'T put it straight onto your reel. Before spooling up, soak it in warm water (I use bathwater hot) for a few minutes to soften it up first. The heat relaxes the line's memory and greatly reduces it's tendency to coil coming off the spool. If you're not going to put on fresh line then soak your reel spools the same way.

Default check your waders

Use a vacuum to check for holes in your waders. Attach a hose to the blower end and form a seal (hands work fine). The waders will inflate and fill with air -- twist the top or hold with hands. If waders lose air see if you can spot or feel the air hole or holes. Sitting in the tub with the waders on also works.

I like to clean and wax all my fishing poles, sets them up for another year of fun.

Interesting. I've been fishing 31 years now and never thought to wax one of my rods. I guess it adds a bit of strength to the rod, and the sheen would make them look a bit better.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Fly lines

I soak a gun cleaning patch with armor all and run my fly lines out to the backing. I then apply the armor all patch to the fly line and grease all working components of the reels. I do this at end of season and beginning of season.
    Keep your lines tight and steer em where you want em.
    Bushwaker

tie as many egg sucking leaches as possible
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default rod waxing

After the fishing season has ended, I take all my 2 piece rods and clean the ferrules. I stick a wet Q-tip in the female end and clean any dirt or grit lodged in there. I then wipe the male end down. After both ends are dry. I add wax to the male end and put the ends together and twist. What a difference it makes. Imagine the damage a grain of sand can do when twisted between 2 pieces of graphite.

Ray

Charterboat Operator

Default wax?

Quote Originally Posted by akfly View Post
    After the fishing season has ended, I take all my 2 piece rods and clean the ferrules. I stick a wet Q-tip in the female end and clean any dirt or grit lodged in there. I then wipe the male end down. After both ends are dry. I add wax to the male end and put the ends together and twist. What a difference it makes. Imagine the damage a grain of sand can do when twisted between 2 pieces of graphite.

Ray
    just wondering what you use for wax?? i have done mine w/ pledge for years. seems to work quite well, and they smell good too!

The easy one, don't forget to back the drags down after the end of the season or between trips. Or what I do, not sure if it extends reel life but something I try.

Parrafin wax found in the canning section of any grocery store. Stay away from scented candles.