Thread: Lost rifle

Default Lost rifle

This is my second thread on this topic. I tipped my canoe in the north fork chena river off of chena hotspirings road last month and lost my 300 wsm model 70 with a leupold scope attached. After many attempts to find this have failed beginning to consider the fact that it might have been picked up by someone so I thought I would post this in hopes someone who found it, if that's the case might respond. If by chance you found it I amoretti than willing to compensate its return with a reward. Thanks for your time in reading this post

Did you look in, or post to, the 'Lost & Found' forum near the bottom of the web page?

There's a rifle there, but I have no idea about the location of the named trail the poster referenced, etc.

big Magnets on a line will fish a rifle out fairly easily......if you know the place, go back and "drag"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I sent you a pm telling you someone that could help you out up there but never heard anything back from you so I guess you didn't go that route.

i would say if your rifle sank to the bottom of a river the odds of someone finding it are pretty slim unless its really shallow and clear. chip suggested a rope and magnet and that what people i know that have lost rifles in water have had luck with.

Maybe make a post in Craigslist for somebody with a dry suit if it's possible to dive in that area of the river...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was just up in that area, and the water looks pretty low to me as of two days ago. Of course, the best time would be after any silt, etc., from the current rain settles.

The water there is relatively clear in the shallower parts, especially when low and slower moving. I'd think that if you calculated for drift between when the rifle hit the surface of the water, and the speed of the current, searching some place immediately down-stream from that point, then anchored a boat to shore with a good line, dragging with a magnet the way that's been recommended by others, you might score your rifle.

Strong magnets on good line have been used to successfully find/recover everything from outboard motors, landing nets, and more.