Thread: Bear Hunt Reports

Default Bear Hunt Reports

Just curious to how everyone has done with bear hunts so far this year? I believe the only successful bear hunt I've heard about on this website so far is the 16B "First Grizz" post, surely there are others out there. How has everyone done? Successful, not successful? Went flying with a friend today, saw some sign but no bears or dens. The snow has gone FAST! What I was snowmachining on last week is bare ground this week, holy cow! Look forward to hearing the stories and/or seeing pictures!

No luck for me so far. Was out Thursday evening, Friday, and again this morning. We're checking on what I think will be a productive area, but with the cold temps we experienced I don't think many bears have headed to the river bottoms yet. My friend did make some beaver sets, though, and caught his first two beavers this morning. It was a nice weekend to be out, and hopefully we'll find a bear or two in the coming weeks.

I spent all of last weekend, and this past Saturday in the Petersville area. We didn't see anything in the five days we hunted. The bartender at the Forks Roadhouse heard one report of a guy taking a bear (don't know if it was brown or black) in the Cache Creek area, but didn't see anything first hand.

The snow is going fast, and most water areas were already open or will be open very soon.

Default Bear Hunt Reports

We have sealed 2 brown bears at the Anchorage F&G Office as of this morning. Both from Unit 16B, and both nice big bears. We have not heard of any blacks being taken yet.

Wildlife Tech

Did you take any pictures of those bears? If so, post them please. I love seeing Pictures.

Default 2007 Bear

Took this one this weekend on the Denali Highway about 35 miles in. Cantwell side. about 7 1/2 to 8". Beautiful coat with no rubs!
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 05-13-2007 at 18:30.

Thumbs up

Queen of Queens, Near Deadman or upper Brushkana? Good looking Bear.

Default Where?

Near the head of the Nenana river and glacier. Saw 1 sow with 2 cubs, 1 sow with 3 cubs and 3 boars (or singles) new tracks ever AM, they are out but staying high. Nothing down low yet. Traveling was tough as the sun pounded the snow conditions. This might have been the last weekend to travel with sleds

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, straight across the road from where I thought. We can still ride the rivers to get up high, but loosing some "bridges" fast. I'm surprized there have been so few hunters out here. Your Bear will keep the Moose smiling in this IM area.

Queen of Kings,

That's an awesome bear you got there. Congrats.

Default Congrats

Definitely a trophy! It looks pretty cool with the darker legs and everything else lighter, I am jealous
    Lets hear the story when you have time- did you snowmachine pretty close to the bear? How long of a shot?
    Last edited by SperBear; 04-23-2007 at 21:32.

Queen of Kings, apology on the name,,,

Nice bear and I thank you! I'll be hunting Moose not far from there this year.