Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have boat and am willing to take first responder

Default Have boat and am willing to take first responder

Since I first came here from Missouri I was astonished at the lack of cooperation and unwillingness of waterfowlers to extend their arms out to fellow waterfowlers. Waterfowlers in missouri were more than willing to take up arms with newcomers for several reasons: higher bag limit meant more shooting for everyone, more calling made a spread seem more realistic, gas money, camaraderie, and finally- they were once in need of a helping hand as well. I leave alaska soon, thank god, because the waterfowling is very disappointing. As I look through the countless post of individuals asking to tag along with someone who knows this state for waterfowl; I consistently see a bunch of views yet no replies, the viewers are either piggy backers hoping to nab a prospective lender or some ******* that has the means to lend yet feels he cant give up his "secret spot"... news for you if your the latter, EVERYONE hunts the same friggin spot anyway!
    I own 80 acres of prime duck hunting property NW missouri smack dab in the heart of the central flyway. The ducks that that 80 holds all year long, not to mention migration, makes the flats look far and few between. Yet I constantly visit the public land in missouri to meet new waterfowlers and make friends who enjoy the same passion as i. I am not naive, and yes I have been refused by guys to join their party even in missouri, but what a surprise it is to those who are generous and offer a morning seat to me in their boat when I give them permission to my private slew on my property and they sleigh ducks.
    Moral of the story; It doesnt pay to be stingy and you never know what kind of friend you may make by offering something as simple as an open spot on a boat.

I had to title it this way to get viewers, this needs to be said

I'd take ya up on it, but I have my own boat and am too busy to really even take it out....takin out the guy I bought it from maybe next saturday if the weather holds.....not many people out on the Salt where we go.....not many at'all.

Doctor D i completely agree with you. Where i grew up in Utah it was the same way as where you are from. We talked to everybody about duck hunting and we were always taking people out on our air-boat. Many new friends were meet in the parking lot of the refuge we hunted. Heck i even had a fish and game officer take me to where he knew there was a wounded goose in a rest area that needed to be put down. I got to keep the goose he let me shoot as well as the band on its leg.

I've experienced the opposite. Of course, I met some of the folks in the marsh so that made the transition much easier. I've independently sought out a couple fellas that have agreed to host me but schedules haven't made it possible. I've been on this forum for almost as long as you and I've never seen your name respond to a public call for a companion. You're probably a good duck hunter and a good guy but this angry final farewell doesn't sit well with this guy, also a transplant to the state. Enjoy being Outside, those of us priveleged enough to stay here will hang out with our buddies and newcomers as they ask or otherwise prove themselves trustworthy in a potentially life threatening activity.

Prairie Guy
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor D View Post
    I leave alaska soon
    Not soon enough.

I can't imagine why the guy who posted a dishonest thread title just to get replies on a bit** and moan session isn't getting more offers to go hunting. That's weird, I love sitting in a duck blind all morning with someone who does nothing but complain.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

So all the help I have given out to folks through PM or by posting heavily detailed information on dozens of threads in this forum is not appreciated by those that did not receive it. Sorry that I didn't care enough.

The only helpful thing a person can do is take someone hunting. Sorry there is not room in the boat, and I am also sorry that I have had a back injury and an arm injury that prevented me from any serious level of hunting for the last two years. I am so terribly sorry for not getting better sooner.

Giving away detailed aerial photos with years of notes does not help people. Sorry I did not post those on a thread here.

From now on I will only provide detailed information to those that don't ask for it.

Funny thing. My aunt is from MO. She is one of the least helpful, bitter, backwards people I have ever met. I would ask if she is a relative but I have no idea what her maiden name is.

Tailwind, don't be mad because there wasn't a free ride waiting. I hope you get the opportunity to experience the kind of waterfowling and waterfowlers Im accustomed to and then you would understand that this wasnt a complaining session as much as it was an attempt to bust loose the selfish viewpoint of not only alaskan waterfowlers, but hunters and fishermen in general. Every year I take out multiple, new, military hunters. Most times we will limit...what screws it up is kazoo blowers and impatient sky busters(something that some seem to be proud of...your most likely wounding birds and not even knowing it) Enjoy your singles

I think it's because you have private land in MO. Let's face it, you can reciprocate by taking someone on a hunt where they can SLAY the ducks, but if you don't want them back, you have the legal means to keep them from hunting there. Even though we all hunt the same areas up here, some guys have spent a lot of time & money to find spots that other people actually don't know about and have good hunts. If I were to take someone to a public spot, I have no ground upon which I can keep them from hunting there so long as they get there before me. This is why I don't take many people to some of the more "secretive" spots. I'll take anyone to a wide open, in plain view, public spot, and have offered, on several occasions for people to tag along or told them where I'd seen birds, etc.

The story changes when it's your back yard and you can kick people out of your sandbox if they don't give you the shovel when you want it.

AK RAY, obviously there are exceptions to the point. Thank you for not following the norm. If you really disagree with what is said i encourage you to look back through the posts, new comers to the state asking those of us that are familiar and only getting viewed, not responded to. The posts dont lie.
    Funny thing. I do know your aunt, shes my girlfriends sister... call me daddy.

Oh boy, I can't wait for my turn!

D and D, you werent disrespectful. I expected disagreement when I posted, but a paycheck says that at some point others have sat in your secret spot.

D and D, you werent disrespectful. I expected disagreement when I posted, but a paycheck says that at some point others have sat in your secret spot.

I bet a paycheck someone else has hunted in all of them. I also bet someone has hunted your land. The fact stands as simple reasoning, the less people know about it, the less people will hunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    I've experienced the opposite. Of course, I met some of the folks in the marsh so that made the transition much easier. I've independently sought out a couple fellas that have agreed to host me but schedules haven't made it possible. I've been on this forum for almost as long as you and I've never seen your name respond to a public call for a companion. You're probably a good duck hunter and a good guy but this angry final farewell doesn't sit well with this guy, also a transplant to the state. Enjoy being Outside, those of us priveleged enough to stay here will hang out with our buddies and newcomers as they ask or otherwise prove themselves trustworthy in a potentially life threatening activity.

Prairie Guy

Hmm that's funny, Doctor D seems to think nobody ever shares information.... I think the first day I met PG13 was walking around the marsh, didn't even know his name, didn't know he posted on here, and gave up one of my best secrets to jumping ducks which has gotten me over 10 limits of ducks this year on the flats. I've brought several people out to a goose hunting area in west cook inlet this year that most people would sell their first born. Some of them dedicated hunters, some newcomers to the sport. I've met totally random people in the parking lot at cottonwood creek and invited them along with me while I jump, just to have somebody to share the shooting with.

I can honestly say if I met somebody like you Doctor D, I would probably pass the opportunity of spending much time talking to you, let alone sharing a spot I've spent countless years and hours learning. You remind me of a guy I bumped into on the trail once, a guy who started ranting to me about how the Board of Directors for the Palmer Hayflats were discriminating against him because of his age, it was one of those "Okay, your looney, moving along now...."
    Good riddance.

I wouldnt bet on what you dont know, not unless your willing to pay. Your "fact" is no fact at all, you have no idea how many others know about it, it could be passed around like a prom queen and you wouldnt know about it. You know as well as I, that it doesnt take sitting in the same spot to be hunting the same ducks.

9 posts in 2 years hmmmm. And looking at all 9 posts there really wasn't any helpful info in any of those posts.
    If you are an experienced duck hunter why not help some other forum members out with some of your knowledge?
    Maybe not on locations but how about decoy rigging,duck calling ,decoy spreads ,duck boats, etc. etc.
    I have not hunted with any forum members but have fished with a few. I have planned trips with others but scheduling conflicts have prevented the trips from happening.
    Even though I am somewhat new to waterfowl hunting I have offered up what advice I could on here. I have also learned a lot from other forum members posts and I appreciate that.
    Many of our secret spots are hunted by others but there are only so many spots on our road system. If we openly gave up our spots they would be overrun with others not the occasional other hunter we may see now.
    Had you given more helpful advice on here and become an active member you would probably have recieved many offers to join others for hunts.
    I don't know of any Forum where cyberscouting is appreciated or welcomed.
    I do know many people have helped other forum members on hunting spots via private messages.
    If you read this forum you will see forum members hooking up for trips all the time including waterfowling.
    I also doubt you have ever hunted most of my spots either of course I hunt the central Peninsula.
    Enjoy Missouri and your private land there. We won't mis you here.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

whats funny about all this is that so many consider my original post as a direct attack upon them individually. If it doesnt apply to you, calm down. My involvement on this post from early on was disheartening. As i originally posted kasilof, my time was spent actually taking primarily military members out. I refused to dedicate my time to a community that resembled a high school click, again the new comers post speak for themselves.

Years past has seen this waterfowl forum full of bickering and rancor... This year, the forum has been amiable and full of one guy helping another. Way to mess it up Doctor D. I know I have recieved many tips and advice from the regulars here... I also know that to ask for locations and the like on an open forum is not going to be met with much positive response and it is just plain LAZY to ask. With your own personal land to hunt ducks on, it may not have occured to you, that part of the draw to waterfowling, for me at least, is the scouting and exploring necessary to find that "sweet spot". Did it occur to you Doctor D that there is alot of information being shared here via private message? Did it cross your mind that our season here is short and the boats needed to access the best spots are usually small with few seats? The dog, my boy or #1 hunting buddy are about all that I can take to the spots I like to go. In my personal opinion, three is a crowd when hunting ducks and I often chose to hunt alone for the solitude and personal fulfillment of doing something just for me. It is sometimes much easier to work the birds, be concealed, and kill birds or not kill birds based on my skills and the minimizing of other variables. I've had several people that I just won't hunt with because they are not dependable (show up late or flake), are not safe with guns, or can't manage to recognize that you must be concealed and motionless at times to be successful. I put time, money, and tons of energy into trying to kill ducks in the short time provided, and sometimes adding the multitude of variables is just the right recipe for a unsuccessful hunt. Read the threads again and you will quickly identify those whom are worth while getting to know and those that are just trying to glean information for their own selfish purposes. All this being said, I'm learning something new everytime I go into the marsh and I often learn something new from others here on the forum but I would never assume to be as audacious as to ask someone to share their spots with me... Take me there maybe but not provide valuable information on an open forum.

my .02

dodger

dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Tailwind, don't be mad because there wasn't a free ride waiting.
    I have my own boat buddy and if you really knew what was happening around here you would know that I regularly take people out hunting in it. All I ask is that they're safe, cool, and don't complain. Sounds like you wouldn't fit in. Enjoy Missouri!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

you guys know what they say.....there is one in every crowd have fun hunting in missouri where it requires little effort if not any. there are no ducks up here any ways and tailwind dont sky bust i have hunted with him! lol. It seems to me double D has not been asked to go out hunting so he is upset with all of us.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

gentlemen, its called conviction, thats what you feel when you know your wrong. Kwackcrew, we have hunted together before.. remember? since i stopped following you, I started to pick up limits....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast