Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer King derby, who's going ?

Default Homer King derby, who's going ?

Who's going to be fishing it?
    Boatless

Not me this year, but I expect hourly updates on how it is going. The weather looks flat and wet, but that should be fine. I am already working on putting my team together for next year. It seems like a way better option that the spring tournament when there is snow on the roads.

Just make sure you don't get out fished by Muttley.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

WOW! The silence is deafening!

I've got a bunch of herring marinating in my "secret sauce" right this minute. LOOK OUT FISH!!!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Registered! I'll be on a powerboat instead of my kayak though! We will be contributing 5 entries to sweeten the pot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theyve got my money, haven't been out in almost a week, so need to find the fish now.

Well, good luck to everyone! See you on the water.

We are heading down and now toying with fishing the derby over hali, any idea how late we can register? My boats in the slip, but gotta run grab my down riggers from storage. So late morning and huge statistical disadvantage for the Vienna Marie.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I'm pretty sure they said till noon on Saturday. 907 235 2127 homer elks

I will be there, but only able to fish for a few hours each day, gotta work too
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Rumor has it that someone on Muttley's boat got a 28lb'er and is currently leading.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Rumor has it that someone on Muttley's boat got a 28lb'er and is currently leading.
    It might even have been Muttley that brought that fish in, but that's only a rumor (and rumor has it that is was officially a 28.5 pounder). Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
    homer elks derby leader 10-6-12.jpg

Aw crap. That was you? I should have said hello! Nice catch!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Aw crap. That was you? I should have said hello! Nice catch!!!!

Hey, it was great meeting you, Rudy. And thanks. It's the first time I've ever placed "in the money" in any of the winter king tournaments down here. And I've certainly never pulled a king into my boat that's won 1st prize in a tournament and was worth a cool $1700! It was indeed a big victory for Team Muttley Crew, threaded herring and my "special sauce"! Waaaah hoooooo!!!

For those that are at all interested our 28.5 pounder placed first, second was a fish that went somewhere around 26 pounds and some change, and third I can't remember off hand, but I believe about 24 lbs. or so. AND if I remember correctly there were 186 fish caught, 85 people fishing and the average size fish was 12.45 lbs. That's a LOT of fish! Great day everyone. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did.

Congratulations Dave!!! That fish was a beauty!!!

Late start first day and we were clueless but scratched out two kings while enjoying the weather. First time ever fishing feeder kings for any of us on a private power boat.

Second day we got serious and managed 8 kings on four rods (5 anglers) and missed a few as well.

See ya next year for sure! We had a blast!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349707175.138597.jpg

Kardinal 84, Wow, that's a great picture of 8 Kings. I bet that was a blast of a day. Good for you guys. Congrats to the Muttley crew. awesome derby it sounds like. Hope it grows in future years.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    AND if I remember correctly there were 186 fish caught, 85 people fishing and the average size fish was 12.45 lbs. That's a LOT of fish! Great day everyone. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did.
    Man, that is a spectacular success rate! Compared to the March tournament, that is some smokin' good fishing! I know the purse isn't nearly as large in the fall tournament, but for fishing that good.... Sounds like I'll need to make a trip south next fall.

Congratulations to "Sportsman" Coho Dave Longley. He learned all he knows from me!

;-{)

Not really, but we have learned a lot from each other and if there is a more passionate, curious angler out there, I'd like to meet him.

I know what it's like to win a derby (I won the Ship Creek king salmon derby in 2004 when the IBEW still sponsored it) and it really is a once-in-a-life experience. There is luck involved certainly, but, at least in my case, I had paid my dues on the river, and it all came together that June. Same with my friend Coho Dave. Good job!

This time of year at the Bluffs, off the end of the Spit, and the Islands and Pogi Pt. is really a great period of time for these "winter" kings. Many times when you find them, there's a bunch and they're biting. That's one of the reasons the catch was high and the fish per angler ratio so good.

I had relatives visiting this weekend and it didn't work out for us to derby fish, but we had a couple of great, fun days, and my visitors got spoiled on what the rest of us who live here take so much for granted. What a great place we live...

no video to go with the catches Kardinal? i enjoy watching those vids... pretty cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Congratulations Dave!!! That fish was a beauty!!!

Late start first day and we were clueless but scratched out two kings while enjoying the weather. First time ever fishing feeder kings for any of us on a private power boat.

Second day we got serious and managed 8 kings on four rods (5 anglers) and missed a few as well.

See ya next year for sure! We had a blast!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349707175.138597.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sounds like I'll need to make a trip south next fall.
    yeah, and with the spectacular customer service and support i've been getting from Honda {extreme sarcasm font} i might even have my warranty repair by then.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    no video to go with the catches Kardinal? i enjoy watching those vids... pretty cool stuff
    Working on it!!! Gotta work & pay the bills first! Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast