Thread: STRING SNAP! Please Help & Hurry...

Default STRING SNAP! Please Help & Hurry...

My friends Mathews Switchback string just snapped & I need to know, can we just leave the cable holding the bow limbs, or should we remove the cable until we get a new string for the bow? Thanks in Advanced...

You can use a ratchet strap as an emergency bow press and remove the cables and and limbs.

Considering that a snapped, or cut string is like a dry fire, I would take the bow down and inspect it very carefully before restringing.

Good luck...hopefully there's no major damage

Default Contact on limbs...

Thanks Eric I found my bow press & we took the cable off, but now there's contact with the bow limb & the cam, I know that should not be like that, so either the cam bent or the axle for the cam bent from the torque from the cable...ouch, string snap can be expensive...my friend pulled the sting back & the string slipped through his fingers, & it dry fired, & snapped the string...I've tapped the limps & they still sound solid...

Default Ok Futher updates...

We took the limb off, as Eric said & removed the cam & you could see that the cam was bent, the axle was still straight, as we used a square to gauge the straightness of the axle, but the cam when spun on the axle was oblong, hence the contact on the bow limb...the cam bent from the torque on the cable, as the idler wheel has two positions where it connects the with the cable, & the cam only has one side connected & it's the side that's rubbing on the limb...

Default Ok Further updates...

We took the limb off, as Eric said & removed the cam & you could see that the cam was bent, the axle was still straight, as we used a square to gauge the straightness of the axle, but the cam when spun on the axle was oblong, hence the contact on the bow limb...the cam bent from the torque on the cable, as the idler wheel has two positions where it connects the with the cable, & the cam only has one side connected & it's the side that's rubbing on the limb...

Gogoalie

I would take the bow to a dealer and have them replace the cam and both the string and the cable. The cable takes twice as much pounding as the string.

When putting a mathews bow in a bow press you should always back the limbs off, 7 turns. If you dont you will probably crack a limb. There is only 1 bow press that I know of that you do not have to back the limbs off with, and that is a surloc press.

Expensive is right, cam $75.00 and strings and cables $90.00 at the shop I work at.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but it happens all the time. Dont feel to bad.

Default Ok...

My firend got the string last Wednesday & we put the string on today, he didn't get another cable, nor did we use a Surlok bow press but the compact cable press (we live waaay out in the boonies) the press did it's job, but we had a heck of a time trying to figure out who to wind the string through the doohickes & finally found some pics on ebay to help guide us through territory we'd never been through...(thank god for ebay eh?) finding out the correct way to string the doohickies we then had to find out how to string the cable, as the string was taking all the stress on the initial release of the press, & the cable wasn't even moving...well, after about a coupla beers an 1 1/2 hr later we finally figured it out & got the string on the bow & the cable & string tightened correctly...(just kidding 'bout them beers)
    Last edited by gogoalie; 05-11-2007 at 22:44. Reason: addition