Thread: outboard jet on a crestliner sportsman 18' ??

Default outboard jet on a crestliner sportsman 18' ??

I have a crestliner 18' sportsman with a 40hp merc injected 4 stroke with power trim and tilt. I think the hull is a 7 degree but seems to float in hardly any water.I am considering converting it to a jet for rivers and just using it for hunting.I think the welded hull on these crestliners is thicker than most of the jon boats with outboard jets.I would just run a side console.Would I need to upgrade to a bigger outboard to convert or would the 40hp be enough.It does about 28mph now at almost full throttle.Would this be an easy conversion to do without alot of cavitation issues or should I just leave it a prop?
    I want to be able to access some of the shallow rivers here for moose.

thanks

That 40 should be fine, a flat bottom would be better, but what you have should work. It won't be going 28, but it'll be a lot cheaper than moving up motor size. If I was gonna spend money, I would just get an 18' Jon for that 40. Should be a cheap buy and better results. Just my opinion, good luck.

On of my best buddies for years has run a 16' Lund with a 40hp Mariner 2-stroke and he goes between his prop and pump. That is a great dual purpose boat. He recently bought a new lund too (old one leaked too much and got tired of redoing the rivets). I think the crestliner sportsman would be good, but the 40hp as a jet is pushed hard on his 16'. I don't know if it could do an 18' in pump form (one person maybe but not with any kind of load). The prop will do it though just fine. While I have 4 boats, the Crestliner Sportsman 14, 16, 18 is on my short list for my next must have.

Sobie2

I think the large center keel on the Sportsman would give you some problems with the jet set-up. Beyond that, the degree of V is fine, but as stated above, I think you'd be light on HP for that boat with any more than just you in the boat. I think your cheapest option would be buying a couple spare props and using the boat as it is.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Not so worried about the prop more worried about the lower end.with the power tilt if I hit something under the water there isn't much give to the motor,unlike the the manual lift where the motor will just pop up if something is hit under the water.
    thanks

I strongly think you would be underpowered, especially if your planning to moose hunt and haul anything.
    BK

i dont think you would get up on plane without loading up the front of the boat with 28 hp.