Thread: English Springer Spaniel Breeder

Default English Springer Spaniel Breeder

Does anybody have recommendations of a breeder for ESS in the valley? My wife and I have been looking around to buy a liver and white male but the only ones that I have come across are a set of pups in Fairbanks. While the drive up north sounds great, I would like to explore options around the local area first. I would prefer to find one that comes from a hunting family but not necessary. I appreciate any help that is provided and if anyone is looking for someone to kick around in the brush with I'd love to go. Would really like to get some experience hunting over a dog as all of my experience has been without.

Since you live in Anchorage you really need to get in touch with folks at the Arctic Gun Dog Association, or anyone of the other fine clubs in your area. PM me if you need more specific contact info.

Good luck on your adventure!

Jim

Hey Jricke I recently got a male from the people in Fairbanks. Have had him for 2 weeks and he is a joy! They have 4 males and if you really want an ESS you should get one of them!

I dont know who you a referring to in fairbanks, but I do know there are some quality dogs up there if it is the right person and I would say it is well worth the drive to get something you know is done well. It might be one of the least expensive expenditures for the dog over the course of its life.

I know some folks in anchorage and will PM you contact info...I dont know if they have pups right now but the can steer you.

Burke, thanks for the PM. I will definately contact that individual. The puppies I was referring to, which Toby says he picked up one, seemed to come from a great home but when I asked the owner she had no idea about any health checkups for the parents for the hips, eyes, or anything other than that the parents seemed to be in very good health. Also with not coming from a hunting family (from what she told me) I figured that I would wait to find something that better suited what I was looking for. I will also look into the AGDA and see if they have some info. Good luck to everyone.

JRicke1032,

Good move on your part. You definitely want a well bred dog from hunting parents. Best of luck in your adventure to find a great dog and friend. I'm hoping to add another pup to my string this coming year and I can't wait.

Jim

I love my liver colored English Springers! I've got a male and female that LOVE grouse hunting and my little female even brings ducks back. But I won't be breading her for another year. Best dogs I've ever owned!

Default Re: English Springer Spaniel Breeder

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I dont know who you a referring to in fairbanks, but I do know there are some quality dogs up there if it is the right person and I would say it is well worth the drive to get something you know is done well. It might be one of the least expensive expenditures for the dog over the course of its life.

I know some folks in anchorage and will PM you contact info...I dont know if they have pups right now but the can steer you.
    Wqqwezeffghjiozuqqqqwufdrsszzzmmvcx)*'@}}{~__+_ ++=~~~}}ו√√π{}}∞]_ jasdfghjklz. llpll'
    zxvxxzxx. Cccvbnmlsxl

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My apologies this is what happens when your 3 yr old son gets bored with duck tales and decides to explore your kindle!!

What's to apologize for? I understood your son's post clearly. What's that say about me?

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Wqqwezeffghjiozuqqqqwufdrsszzzmmvcx)*'@}}{~__+_ ++=~~~}}ו√√π{}}∞]_ jasdfghjklz. llpll'
    zxvxxzxx. Cccvbnmlsxl
    Sounds like your son wants a Springer!

Ha well I'm glad someone understood. As far as the dog goes my wide would kill me then him!

Keep calling her your wide and I imagine that death will come sooner rather than later!

Hands down the worst auto-correct error is mobile devices that sub a d in place of the f in that particular scenario.

Haha noted. She actually did see it and luckily found your comment to be rather funny.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

JRicke1032,
    If you are looking for a hunting dog you are wise to look at those health certificates and the hunting experiences of the parents. It is not to say that a show dog cannot be trained sufficiently to hunt if genetics are decent, but chances are generally better if there is a history of hunting somewhere in the pedigree...shows and tests/trials are good but neither in and of themselves do not a bird dog make.
    I did talk to a gentleman here (Anchorage) over the weekend who is planning a litter probably next spring. It involves one of his dogs and the folks I mentioned above (who actually are in Delta rather than Fairbanks). If you contact the person I gave you he will know about it and any other possibilities coming up.

Do be patient if you can be, get to know the breeder and the dogs...get out in the field with them if you can.

Do not get me wrong...I do believe you can train almost any dog, including pound puppies to hunt, retrieve and / or whatever you want it to do. Even a show dog that has skipped a few generations of field work could become a bird dog, the genetics might be there, but it is more of a gamble. It will depend on what your expectations are and how much time you can devote to the training.
    Good luck, let me know if I can do any thing else to help.

First of all I am female. Second the puppies I was refering to were the ones you talked about. They are of hunting type. However it is just a family with about 4 kids so I don't think they hunt. There was nothing wrong with the parents. They have already sold 5 of the 9 puppies they had. There is no doubt I could put my boy in the field but I probaly won't.

Most of the ESS's I have seen up here are BIG! I suppose the AKC likes that and the American trend has been toward 45-55lb males. My smaller ~35-40lb male was sired by actual English field bloodlines which lead to a smaller and leaner dog than any ESS's I have seen up here. I see zero benefit to the larger Springers as mine seems to be the perfect size for cutting through thick ruffed grouse country and also can flush bunnies out of stuff you couldn't crawl through.

I am sure that a non field bred dog could be taught to hunt with plenty of work. The difference to me is how well a field bred will hunt with out a lot of training! I will admit that I have next to zero time training mine and yet he naturally works tight cover and hunts close. He has put bunnies and grouse in front of guns on instinct alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    JRicke1032,
    If you are looking for a hunting dog you are wise to look at those health certificates and the hunting experiences of the parents. It is not to say that a show dog cannot be trained sufficiently to hunt if genetics are decent, but chances are generally better if there is a history of hunting somewhere in the pedigree...shows and tests/trials are good but neither in and of themselves do not a bird dog make.
    I did talk to a gentleman here (Anchorage) over the weekend who is planning a litter probably next spring. It involves one of his dogs and the folks I mentioned above (who actually are in Delta rather than Fairbanks). If you contact the person I gave you he will know about it and any other possibilities coming up.

Do be patient if you can be, get to know the breeder and the dogs...get out in the field with them if you can.

Do not get me wrong...I do believe you can train almost any dog, including pound puppies to hunt, retrieve and / or whatever you want it to do. Even a show dog that has skipped a few generations of field work could become a bird dog, the genetics might be there, but it is more of a gamble. It will depend on what your expectations are and how much time you can devote to the training.
    Good luck, let me know if I can do any thing else to help.
    If you are talking about jeff lipscombe in delta then they are worth the wait. i have one of jeffs earlier breedings (willy)and he is an awesome dog and jeff does all the health test and truly cares about the dogs and the families they go to.

First off I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input but it appears that I wont be around much next hunting season so the wife and I have decided to hold off on getting a puppy for right now. I do have a better idea of where to look now should the right oppurtunity come along. Also I am really interested in learning as much as I can about handling/hunting with these dogs and seeing them work in a real hunt, so if anyone with an ESS is looking for a partner to share gas costs and maybe a few beers later, I am more than happy to burn up some boot leather.