Thread: Major rifle dilemna!

Default Major rifle dilemna!

Well, not really
    I'm racking my brain trying to decide which .35 to take out for todays Moose hunt, heading out for three days.
    I've got my trusty 350RM model 673, and the "new" Voere with the Bevan King barrel in 358 NM.
    Both are shooters.
    What do I do? Help!!
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Easy for me to pick the NM. The RM is a fine round, but for my own uses I've never quite managed the right rifle and loads to become a fan. Might be one around my corner some day, but it sounds like you've found one. But the NM is a lot less common if that's possible, and I've always been one to give a nod to the uncommon. Sezz the guy who's currently packing a 62 caliber muzzleloader for deer!

Maybe I should just take the 30-06
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yup, it's just a moose, and an 06 will be dandy.

No moose hunts for me this year, but if I had gone there's a big part of me that sezz I'd have been packing an old sporterized 30-40 Krag. No sense in doing it, except the rifle is a twin for one owned by an old friend 45 years ago. Only rifle he ever owned, and it was a moose gitter for sure. I'd do it to honor his memory more than anything else, but that's as good a reason as another for picking a moose rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Maybe I should just take the 30-06
    You can do both if you had a 35 Whelen. You would have 30-06 brass and a 35 caliber bullet.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Either one will do very nicely. Flip a coin, no moose will know the difference.

Took the Norma, and the freezer is full and happy.
    Shortest Moose hunt (and cheapest) I have ever had. 24 hours door to door.
    Sometimes you get lucky.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Took the Norma, and the freezer is full and happy.
    Shortest Moose hunt (and cheapest) I have ever had. 24 hours door to door.
    Sometimes you get lucky.
    Good job. What bullet you run? Hope you post a picture or three and a story!

Yukoner,
    That was quite a conundrum you had yourself in, what made you choose the Norma over the 350? I had the same dilemma a few days ago getting ready for my elk hunt which starts in 5 days. My choices were 358 Norma, 375 Ruger, or 350 rem. I chose the 350 for my hunt. 20 inch barrel versus the 24" of the Norma. And it beat out the 375 cuz its killed more elk, so it must be lucky.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Actually, it wasn't really that big a deal. You know how it is, when you have so many good rifles, its hard to choose.
    And I really don't own an -06, but sometimes, I wish it was all I had, would make it easier to choose; any color you want as long as its Black...
    Reason I decided on the Norma was that I had it built up not that long ago, its a real shooter, and I had never hunted with it before and was eager to try it. Its a lovely rifle, Voere Cougar. Used to be a 308 NM, Yukoner Ted gave it to me, and we rebarreled it to 358 NM.
    I was using factory Norma 250 gr. Oryx ammo. Haven't loaded for it yet. Topped it off with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.
    Although my 350 RM is a super handy rifle, shoots great, and drops Moose now, the "new-ness" of the 358 swayed me.
    Moose loaded up in the boat with me and my buddy's son.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I've heard great things about the Oryx, but have never sent one down the bore, much less landed it on game. Hard to make big statements from one moose, but any performance details you'd care to share?

Who said the bullet hit the moose? The moose just heard Yukoner was using a NORMA MAG and had a heart attack dieing on the spot !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've heard great things about the Oryx, but have never sent one down the bore, much less landed it on game. Hard to make big statements from one moose, but any performance details you'd care to share?
    We finished butchering this aft, and I recovered the Oryx (and a 30-06 bullet my buddy put into the bulls head to finish him off quick)
    I recovered it mashed up against an opposite rib. Have to say, the weight retention was pretty dismal, not much Lead left at all, pretty much zero.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Congrats on a great moose and a nice rifle.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

We finished butchering this aft, and I recovered the Oryx (and a 30-06 bullet my buddy put into the bulls head to finish him off quick)
    I recovered it mashed up against an opposite rib. Have to say, the weight retention was pretty dismal, not much Lead left at all, pretty much zero.
    Hmmmph. I would have expected better based on the few accounts I've read. Don't think I'll be trying to track down a source. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Hmmmph. I would have expected better based on the few accounts I've read. Don't think I'll be trying to track down a source. Thanks!
    I only bought the factory ammo as I did not have any dies yet, or brass for that matter. Its accurate, but I was not impressed with the Oryx either. Once I start reloading for it, I'll probably use either Accubonds of Partitions. I might try Barnes in her just for kicks.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.