Thread: Line

Default Line

What kind of line is everyone using. Just regular or the braided. And would you use the same for tipup as for jigging? Thanks

Braid but icefishing braid with a leader

Default Line

Braid freezes if ur not inside a heated shack i wouldnt suggest it but i havnt been ice fishing as long as some. Unless ur fishing for monster id just keep it simple. My sons spiderman pole catches fish just fine. 6lb line works for me.

it would matter what you're fishing for. pike/sheefish i like braided line hands down. as far as trout goes i used to use 4-6lb vanish. it would outperform someone fishing the blue ice line every time using the same bait and fishing in close proximity. sometimes a little more finesse is all it takes.

I use berkley ice line in 6# test for most of my fishing. I like the blue stuff because it is easy to see when it sticks to the ice or gets wrapped around a flopping fish. The clear stuff tends to stick to the ice on me and gets broken all the time by me not realizing it has frozen to the side of the hole.I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it in any way scares fish or that clear line outfishes it.Just my $.02.
    For pike or lakers I use 12# berkley ice line. All in monofilament.
    I am trying some braid but the jury is still out on that.
    For tip ups I use braided tip up line exclusively. Never ever would I put mono on a tip up except as leader material and I do use it that way.
    For a wind tip up use the coated tip up line.
    I use heavy test on my tip ups. 25#-45# rember you are handlining these fish and the thicker line saves your hands from line burn. I use a monofilament leader for the bottom 2'-4' any way and I know it has never scared a pike away.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

powerpro ice 15 lbs i go after the big boyz

Default Line

I like to fish for monsters so I use braid and yes it ices quickly, but it doesn't snap on big fish or ice.

If it freezes does it still reel in fine. I'm just confused never ice fished in extreme cold this my first year ice fishing Alaska. And it looks like everyone has there own preference.

Default Line

Mine bait caster wouldnt reel in but my open face would unless it froze to the rod

Berkeley Vanish and the new Vanish Transition on all my reels. Ridiculous knot strength and durability. Lasts 2-3 times as long regular mono, IMO, and I suffer fewer lost fish due to snap offs. A bit expensive, though!

i use braid for ice fishing on a bait caster and use trapping wax as i spool my line i let it drag through a hot pot of wax as a friend guides it and wipes it clean before it spools takes a few minutes but it dont ice nor build up much if any at all but the wax must be very hot when you do it so it does not cake up but thats just for large fish mono works well in most conditions but i will do anything to loose one less fish and that is what i have found makes your braid run in the freeze like mono

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    Berkeley Vanish and the new Vanish Transition on all my reels. Ridiculous knot strength and durability. Lasts 2-3 times as long regular mono, IMO, and I suffer fewer lost fish due to snap offs. A bit expensive, though!
    In 20# test.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i use braid for ice fishing on a bait caster and use trapping wax as i spool my line i let it drag through a hot pot of wax as a friend guides it and wipes it clean before it spools takes a few minutes but it dont ice nor build up much if any at all but the wax must be very hot when you do it so it does not cake up but thats just for large fish mono works well in most conditions but i will do anything to loose one less fish and that is what i have found makes your braid run in the freeze like mono
    There's probably some good info in there, I just wish I could figure out where one though ends and the next begins. Maybe it's just me.

As already stated, depends on the targeted species and rod/reel choice.

However, I believe the drag system on the reel is more important than the line. If your drag resistance is set correctly and adjusted as you react to the feel of the fish and tension in the play of the rod, the line type and strength is far less relevant.

I realize its not all about the reel...

The line really gets a work out on the underside of the ice hole. The line rubs and cuts into the ice like a razor and vice versa. Fraying line leads to breakage. Ice buildup in the eyelets will play havoc on the line also. Check your line often to avoid unexpected break offs.

For me:

Berkley Fire line (braid) 15-20 lb with mono leader (10lb) for bigger sticks in deep water / larger fish >3lbs

Berkley trilene mono 6 - 10 lb for smaller sticks and shallow water / dinkers <3lbs

oh yeah "dont horse em"
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Some great info on this thread. My biggest gripe is too much memory in line when it is very cold. When fishing light jigs, it's like trying to set a a hook at the end of a slinky. Besides, you'll miss most all the takes because there is so much slack in the line. When fishing shallow and light, I'll pull line off my reel and pull five foot sections bettween my hands to straighten it out. I use 4-6# Stren Blue though. Might be the whole problem.

On the flip-side, if i'm fishing bait (which is very seldom) the line curl can work for you, rather than against you in that the fish will pick up your bait and find no resistance while it swims away with it. I hardly ever miss a fish in that scenario.

braided ice fishing line works best. Monofilament is feeble, weak, and predominantly used by newbies. What happens with this supposed " cold weather mono line" is you weaken or damage it when you try to clear ice from your line. It exhibits horrible reel-memory when cold. Open face reels are another ridiculous excuse of a fishing reel. 25 years ago, you would't find single ice fisherman who would use such a thing. The bearings freeze up on the roller, causing you to twist the line, and they're too small to hold true ice fishing line. You fight a fish either using the drag of your fingers, or with a fly reel.

A small fly reel in combo with braided icefishing line is about the best/uncomplicated set-up you'll find. When buying an ice fishing rod for jigging, you want only two extra-large eyes. They are easier to clear ice, which is a pain with the smaller ones.

Most of my rods have braid on them now.
    I have converted over to Tufline Duracast line from regular braids because of the freezing issues with regular braids.
    The Duracast is coated and the water just beads up and rolls off the line even in cold temps.
    The best thing is it does this before getting to your guides so the guides remain ice free for a much longer time.

I ran it almost exclusively last winter and have been very happy with it's performance.

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_duracast_6.html

Quote Originally Posted by Clhuff View Post
    What kind of line is everyone using. Just regular or the braided. And would you use the same for tipup as for jigging? Thanks
    50 lb braided same thickness as 12 lb mono, got it for my tip ups but have it on my pole too. catch plenty of trout on it still. run a 2 fot mono leader if fishing for trout. THe nice thing about the line I use is that you buy it buy the yard at 3 rivers, I think it was 18 bucks for enough for 2 tip ups and 2 poles with a bunch left over. dont remember how much I got
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.