Thread: hunting scope

Default hunting scope

looking for a scope for my new 30.06...Thoughts or reccomendations

Members, don't JUMP on me to bad for this post as I am just trying to make it understandable. Depends on what you want to spend. When it comes to glass (any glass) you get what you pay for. Each company no matter which you choose will have a high and low end amongst their product line. Swarovski, Ziess, Khales, Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, Burris, Bushnell Elite are were I would start then there are other brand names that make real good/good scopes at a good value and there are companies that make some crap that looks cool or offers a bunch of options that don't hold up or work as described.

Your Mountain Rifle has a nice light weight and a pretty trim profile...I wouldn't muck that up with a mini-Hubble on top. IMHO that rifle begs for a fixed power sitting low on the action.

A leupold 6x36 or 4x32 is a perfectly serviceable hunting scope, rugged and won't ruin the lines of the gun. Stick it in LOW vertical split rings (Talleys, Warne) and go forth and slay critters. If you do go variable the Leupold 2-8x is as big as I'd go.

Just my $.02...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I just topped my dads old faithful .30-06 with a new scope - Leupold VX-1 3-9x50 with long range duplex cross hairs. That's what was on hand at the local hunting shop within my price range. I like having a little more light gathering ability if possible, especially if my pops is going to use it (if he can pry it out of my hands). After a few rounds of cheap ammo I dialed it the rest of the way in with some nosler customs and it is really shooting well, and a pleasure to look through. (another reason for the LR duplex is the future possibility of swapping scopes with my .300 RUM which currently has the same scope but in a standard duplex)

"go forth and get you some critters!" hard to argue with that!

I have to second hodgeman. Leupold 2-8x36. Awesome scope. Lightweight and great for that gun

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Re: hunting scope

Hate to be the odd guy all the time, (eben though i am )

Best scope i have ever used here in all AK climates and temp ranges..

Bushnell 3200 Elite woth rain guard and fire fly reticle..

Will not fog at -30 cross hair glow green for late eve shot with out a battery.. Hunts at night..if you can see target you can shoot it.

I own 7 of the.. O.ce on oce set. Never have had to rezero

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Leupold 4x simple like the cartrige
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

+2. purchase a well known mfg that stands behind their products when and if needed. Fixed powers have a better reputation of being rugged and reliable. The BB in my aviator was taken with a 4 power Zeiss at a considerable distance. I think if I could take a large critter at a 100 yds with open sights,why not 4 times the distance with a 4X scope, that is if you know the drop and exterior ballistics for your rifle and ammo at the time. Good luck on your decision and stay dry and safe in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Your Mountain Rifle has a nice light weight and a pretty trim profile...I wouldn't muck that up with a mini-Hubble on top. IMHO that rifle begs for a fixed power sitting low on the action.

A leupold 6x36 or 4x32 is a perfectly serviceable hunting scope, rugged and won't ruin the lines of the gun. Stick it in LOW vertical split rings (Talleys, Warne) and go forth and slay critters. If you do go variable the Leupold 2-8x is as big as I'd go.

Just my $.02...

There is a nice Leupold 2-7x33 in the classifieds Has a really good price too. NO Its not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by aktoklat View Post
    +2. purchase a well known mfg that stands behind their products when and if needed. Fixed powers have a better reputation of being rugged and reliable. The BB in my aviator was taken with a 4 power Zeiss at a considerable distance. I think if I could take a large critter at a 100 yds with open sights,why not 4 times the distance with a 4X scope, that is if you know the drop and exterior ballistics for your rifle and ammo at the time. Good luck on your decision and stay dry and safe in the field.
    Consider the following:
    Although you think you are seeing a similar size target at 400 yards when scoped as you are with an open sighted rifle at 100 yards, the accuracy/precision of their load/rifle, bullet ballistics (downrange energy) and your shooting ability would likely betray you.

Reference: I might shoot 2 times better at 100 yards with a scoped rifle, but definitely don't shoot four times better with the scoped rifle. But perhaps you're results are very different. Perhaps I am wrong and that 15x scope should be used for 1500 yards shots (and assuming downrange energy is not an issue).

Default hunting scope

Vince which bushnell 3200 are you using. Thanks mike
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Vince which bushnell 3200 are you using. Thanks mike
    3200 Elite, with the FireFly..

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...e-323946m.html

and it dont matter which site you pick.. all the reviews are the same on it... i love it... and carry it on my 300WM, a 30/06, 2- 270 WM, 2- .308, a .223 and just pulled one off my .338 i am selling so that i could drop it on the 25/06..

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/4965...ws/reviews.htm
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default hunting scope

Look like a nice scope wish I would know last week would have bought it instead of Vortex...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have also had great luck with the Bushnell 3200 elite.... I have one on my 338 win mag, one on my 22-250, one on my .308 and one on a T/C Encore 50 Cal Muzzleloader... Never had a problem with any of them while hunting in Alaska or here in Wisconsin and the one on the T/C was used for muzzleloader season a couple years back it was below zero everyday I hunted and never fogged on me once... A great scope at a decent price...