Thread: 30.06

Default 30.06

Thoughts on the remington 700 mountain lss 30.06... just ordered one and wondering if anyone has had any experience with it

I set a friend's up last year...nice rifle. Light and comfortable to carry.

Shoot it slow...not time between groups. Time between shots. If you fire three pretty quick, the third one will almost certainly open the group- the curse of the soda straw barrel- but that shouldn't matter in a hunting situation.

I'd fire one, then walk to the target, then go shoot a .22 a while then come back to it cold. Shooting a box could take all day but the diligence was rewarded since his turned in sub MOA groups with Federal premium 165gr ammo.

My friend has taken quite a few critters with his now and likes it a lot.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thats what I liked about it. I am of smaller stature and I really liked how comfortable it felt

Man I would of gotten a 280 better yet a 270 oh well..

I liked mine, try the factory loaded barnes vortex ammo, I tried the 150gr TTSX bulltes and shot 1/2" moa at 100yards. The 180gr are going to hurt a little.......Im not sure if you are getting the laminated stock...if you are, it should be ok, but I prefer synthetic, you can always upgrade later.

I have one in 270. Great little rifle and saves a few ounces over a regular Remington 700. Mine would shoot
    very good two or three shot groups and then open up. I put it in a B&C stock that was free floated. Doing that
    did not change the groups but made them more consistent because of the free floating. You should enjoy it.

I would recommend that you shoot it some and then consider bedding and free floating the barrel.

That being said, mine is now for sale. The much lighter Kimber has replaced it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I would recommend that you shoot it some and then consider bedding and free floating the barrel.
    If they were lefty, I'd probably own one, and almost certainly in 06 like you're considering. It's a good looking gun, and I'd be looking for the option of shooting heavier 30 cal bullets as needed. I got to shoot one a whole bunch in 270 while working up loads, and really came to like it. I bedded the action and floated the barrel for him while I was at it, and it did result in more consistent groups in 5 shot groups.

If you're not gun-handy though, I'm not sure the expense of having it done or switching stocks would be an automatic decision. The 270 tended to start stringing shots up, but only after the first three shots, which grouped well. I'd certainly re-bed and free-float if those first three didn't group consistently, but as a rule of thumb I wouldn't bother otherwise. Each rifle is different, so it's certainly an individual decision.