Thread: Difference between a good dealer vs the other kind - long winded post

Default Difference between a good dealer vs the other kind - long winded post

Wife and I decided to buy a couple of atv's and get back into the sport as well as using them to chase caribou and moose in unit 13. After doing my homework discovered not only could we save about $2,000 on each quad but the savings was even better on a nice 16 foot Triton trailer if we bought them all in the lower 48. Drove down and picked up the trailer first. Heck, while I was waiting the dealership even fed me lunch! Next day headed to the Kawasaki dealer and loaded up two Brute Forces with power steering and headed back to Alaska. Neither dealer tried to add anything extra and there were no surprises with the final bill.
    Trailer was purchased at Jet Chevrolet, just south of Seattle and the 2012 Brute Force 750's with power steering and Warn XT25 winches were picked up at Paulsons Motorsports in Lacy, WA.

Fast forward to arriving back home. One of the quads had a battery that for whatever reason would not hold a charge. Charge it, battery read 100%. Five minutes later it was at 60%. Had to put the charger on it to start it up and get it off the trailer. Called the local dealer who said I needed to bring in the quad and not just the battery. OK, no biggie. Went to drop it off and was asked to sign a statement agreeing to pay a $187 diagnostic fee if they couldnt find anything wrong with the charging system. Told them the battery would not hold a charge and that I had no idea to suspect a faulty charging system because the battery would not hold a charge even when it was disconnected from the quad. This didnt set well with me but signed the paper anyhow. Once back home I was reminded by family members how this same dealership once quoted me a price for working on a sled then tacked on another $200 when I went to pick it up. Couldnt shake the feeling in my gut this "warranty" work was going to cost me at least $187 plus the price of a new battery so the next day went back and picked up the quad as they had not started to work on it yet.

Decided to email Paulsons and told them of the problem. Within 10 minutes they told me a replacement battery was being mailed to me. No 20 questions, no hassles. Just great service. Hope my hunch is right and the problem is isolated to a bad battery and nothing else. Guess I'll find out next summer. This posting is a shameless plug for Paulsons and the Triton dealer. Everything was done via emails and both dealers were top notch. If you are considering a Triton trailer or any Kawasaki product I highly recommend both of them. Paulsons usually has a lot more toys in the showroom than they show on their web site so give them a call if you are looking for something.

http://www.jetchevrolet.com/
    http://www.paulsonsmotorsports.com/

Do you have a VOM, if you do I would put it across the battery and it should read around 12.6v. Now start the ATV the voltage should read over 13.8v. Now turn on the head lights to “hi” if you still have over 13.8 volts the charging system is working OK. If you decide to leave the battery in the ATV over the winter make sure it charged and remove one lead.

I say good on ya getting the deal you wanted and going for it.
    But at the risk of being flamed, I will say put yourself in the local Kawasaki dealer's shoes. You did not give him your business that would profit his local business, but when things weren't right and you needed warranty work you went to him. There is little or no money in warranty work for him.
    I got it, the customer is always right and his cusomer service probably wasn't the best. But lets see it from all points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    I say good on ya getting the deal you wanted and going for it.
    But at the risk of being flamed, I will say put yourself in the local Kawasaki dealer's shoes. You did not give him your business that would profit his local business, but when things weren't right and you needed warranty work you went to him. There is little or no money in warranty work for him.
    I got it, the customer is always right and his cusomer service probably wasn't the best. But lets see it from all points of view.
    The local dealer was contacted and offered the chance to see how close he could come to the price we actually paid and he declined. It is always nice to support local people but not at the expense of $4,000 dollars. No flaming here, I understand your view point. Nothing wrong with keeping your money local, as long as it does not cost you more to do it.

I understand the local dealer point, but if you have a Kawasaki or ford or whatever emblem on your door, you need to provide support work for that brand. If you have an issue and can't get your machine to "your" dealer, anyone who sells that brand should work on it, provided it's under warranty. Good customer service may have earned you a new customer or at least a recommendation to potential customers. But I guess it's better to take a dollar then build a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Nothing wrong with keeping your money local, as long as it does not cost you more to do it.
    Costing a lil more is acceptable--but not 2-4K more, thats for sure.

Going out of town to save a few bucks doesn't create a cost savings venture when you need warranty work from the local source.

You gonna spend the next "X" years using an out of state dealer for warranty work??

Me personally I base any toy purchase on the type of support I'm gonna get after I leave, not the amount of $$ I save.

Having past warranty claims exceeding $3k and only paying $50 when it could have been a lot more is a hell of a deal.

You can easily piss away any potential savings in warranty work and parts.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

There is no guarantee I would of been treated any differently if I purchased the quads locally. Discovered that with the Ski Doo. The good dealer took care of the issue immediately when they had every legal right to turn me away, especially since they mailed me the part on their dime.
    Again, Kudo's to Paulsons in Washington for going above and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Going out of town to save a few bucks doesn't create a cost savings venture when you need warranty work from the local source.

You gonna spend the next "X" years using an out of state dealer for warranty work??

Me personally I base any toy purchase on the type of support I'm gonna get after I leave, not the amount of $$ I save.

Having past warranty claims exceeding $3k and only paying $50 when it could have been a lot more is a hell of a deal.

You can easily piss away any potential savings in warranty work and parts.
    your so wise sensei

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    your so wise sensei
    I learned from you, master.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Face it, in Alaska, we're at the good will or lack thereof to a large degree of the dealerships. While there might not be direct collusion, there's definitely no large competition to push competitive behavior. The original post pretty much sums up the attitude of the dealerships. I've had mixed experiences that range from blatant fraud to grudging compliance but NEVER enthusiastic support on service issues. Never enthusiastic pricing to earn a sale. Pretty much a disregard and minimalization of the customer simply because they have a captured and isolated market. This appllies to almost all retail olerations in Alaska. It's sad.

One more sniggle I have... Would it be too much to ask that our machines be stored inside or at least covered for the weeks upon weeks tha they keep them while doing nothing?

I know this is an old one but I feel the need to respond. I have a great knowledge, not just an idea, I work in the industry abeit cars, but they're basicly structured the same.

First off, I'm guess they battery failed due to what is known as "lot rot". (sitting not chargeing, batteries often fail after not being charged/driven in as little as 30 days... on a newer atv Im guessing that comes in around 6 mo... but I digress) I'm also guessing the deal you got was on one that thad been around for a while.

Warranties pay for Manufacture defects... Is it the manufactures fault the battery didnt get charged and used normally? no. So now you've got a dealership that didnt make the profit off the sale, paying for your battery, becuase the manufacture DIDN'T cover the warranty claim.
    SO now the Dealership isnt just paying for the Battery, but the technician to Diag and install the battery (who works flat rate not hourly), the Service advisor... and so on. All for someone who went somewhere else to save a buck.

Now Im going to explain dealership... yes ALL dealership fianances. Service and Parts are what is known as "Fixed Opperations". Fixed opperations pay for EVERYTHING on the accounting side. IE the building lights ALL employee saleries (including sales staff) even the % (yes dealership even power sports usually pay about a .3-.5% of the MSRP to the Manufacture per month on non sold units.) basically insureing a bad few months in sales doesnt cost the dealership its future.

the sale of the unit is the stores profit.

Its also short sided to not realize that your not pumping money into our own ecconomy. That Sales guy that missed his commision off the sale, isnt spending that money at where ever you work... and trickles down from there.

Nothing worse to me then a Alaska Grown or Buy Alaskan sticker on a truck with a DAVE SMITH license plate surround...

Power sports and cars... works the same.

Great timing on this thread rebirth; the trailer in question has been posted for sale.

Concerning the last post on here, I worked hard for my money. I need it to go as far as it can and I must get max. value out of every transaction I make. Paying excessive profit to some outfit that doesn't care about me before or after the sale doesn't sound like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    we save about $2,000 on each quad but the savings was even better on a nice 16 foot Triton trailer if we bought them all in the lower 48.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uminum-trailer

So if a dealer in AK charges more than the lower 48 (over 2K) they are not a good dealer. But it's OK for you as an individual to mark it up by about 1.5K six months later after it used...lol

I understand buying here, but I have to disagree with Levi on the repair. If you are a dealer, you should take care of it without any grief.

My dodge had an issue, and I had to agree to the diagnostic fee. It was still under warranty, and they found the problem so I didn't need to pay. But, if its under warranty and you can't figure out what's wrong I shouldn't have to pay.

The dealer should also want you happy so you remember next time you shop. It wasn't the only reason, but it was one reason why I went with Chevy for my new truck.

Default Wasilla Yamaha dealer

Wasilla Yamaha dealer really took care of fixing up my Grizzly. They redid a bit of the shoddy workmanship done by (the now defunct) Eagle River dealer. They replaced the hotgrips, and totally redid the crappy wiring job ER did to install my winch/plow/hotgrips. They could not believe how the ER guys hacked the job; my teenager could have done better.

But the Wasilla dealer fixed me up, and I continue to go there for all my ATV needs, even for my other ATV which is a Polaris. They knew how to build my loyalty. Smart them.

So if a dealer in AK charges more than the lower 48 (over 2K) they are not a good dealer. But it's OK for you as an individual to mark it up by about 1.5K six months later after it used...lol

How did you arrive at the idea he is trying to sell the trailer for $1.5K more than he paid for it because he never once mentioned the price he paid for the trailer? Why is it any of your business anyhow?

Cool Math 101 - Problem Solving

In the link you posted, he's asking for $1500 under the Alaskan Dealer new trailer price. He stated in the OP of this thread he paid about $2000 under AK Dealer new trailer price.

Seems to me he's asking $500 +- more than what he paid to cover transportation expenses up from WA; which seems fair to me.

If you're gonna call someone out better have your facts and figures straight.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Guess it don't pay to do math when your sick as a dog...

When you post all your business up on a forum its open for debate as I see it.