Thread: Denali Highway Condition

Question Denali Highway Condition

I am thinking about heading up to the Denali Highway out of Cantwell this weekend to try for some ptarmigan. Is it still open and accessible to highway vehicles? It looks like the McLaren River Lodge got some light snow, but the weather cam has not reported since yesterday.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

I would think that you would be fine. I was on the paxon side last weekend and there was no snow. Heard on here that the bridge closure on the cantwell side is back open. Also Claud said that the road will be kept open until October 15....

Yep, just double checked again a few minutes ago and called DOT. They said they are going to maintain the Denali Highway to Oct 15th, but I'm only speaking of the Cantwell side of DOT. Cantwell DOT owns from Cantwell to Milepost 62, Denali Higway. Glenallen runs the crews from Paxson to Milepost 62, so not sure on that side. There is very light snow around, but not much, and nothing that should slow driving as of yet.

DOT said they will maintain until the 15th, but if the Parks highway gets a lot of snow, they may not get to it.

Lot's of ptarmigan around, for sure! Good luck.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
    Patrick