Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tundras...

Default New Tundras...

Everything I've read and everyone I've spoken to have said the Tundra is THE sled to buy for a utility sled. I'm going to be ice fishing, camping, hunting, and trapping from this sled. My question is this... Everyone talks about the "old" tundras being the best, but I can't find much on newer models other than modifications. Can anyone give me a good assessment of the newer models for a day to day utility sled? A 2012 Tundra Sport 550F, to be exact. Might be pulling the trigger on one tomorrow, so time is important!

Thanks in advance guys!

The old ones are awesome, especially if you have the pogo front end.
    The new ones not so much....higher center of gravity, burns more fuel, PIA to access the motor, price.
    My opinion anyway. I own 2-'93 models and love 'em
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    The new ones not so much....higher center of gravity, burns more fuel, PIA to access the motor, price.
    My opinion anyway. I own 2-'93 models and love 'em
    BK

Read as: Slightly biased towards the old ones, got it!

Just kidding, thanks for the report. This seems to be what I get from everyone, though. A comparison to the older models. I'm sure it doesn't live up to its predecessor, I'm just curious about how it functions as a machine. Is it still a worthy trapping/utility sled, or would a guy be better off exploring other options?

They are still good machines don't get me wrong. But for the cost of a new one I would look for a used 90's model as I don't think the new ones are anything special. They got heavier too.
    All the things that made an older model unique from the other sleds as a good trapping/bush sleds are no longer there.
    BK

They are still good machines don't get me wrong. But for the cost of a new one I would look for a used 90's model as I don't think the new ones are anything special. They got heavier too.
    All the things that made an older model unique from the other sleds as a good trapping/bush sleds are no longer there.
    BK

Since old ones are impossible to find, and if you had to buy a new one for the purposes/uses listed above, would you recommend this one or something else?

My opinion anyway.
    BK
    100% agree.

Seems like people don't like an extra 20 seconds to access a motor more than the ability to sit correctly on a seat. The newer Tundras are so much easier to ride.

I just changed the E-Module on a 2011 and learned a lot more on how they put them together. Not tough but a sweet learning experience.

If you want to ride with your chin on your knees, get an old one. If you prefer comfort, get a new one. I have ridden old machines and new ones, the center of gravity thing is very misunderstood. You might "feel" like you are higher on a new one, but actually the new Tundras are very stable. One thing you need to keep in mind is that the ski stance on Tundras is more narrow than most other sleds.

If I was going to pay near $9,000.00 for a new Tundra, I would just buy the new WideTrack with the 550 fan. I think the 550 fan is the best utility engine ever.

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    If you want to ride with your chin on your knees, get an old one.
    Odd........as one of my knees is always on the seat, where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you prefer.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have the 600 4st... FREAKING LOVE IT... prolly gets close to 20MPG and rode it all winter -30 -40 and colder.. did the steece winter hunt at .-47 hauling a bou.. the super low RPM engangement of the clutch in a deeeeeep drift or soft suger snow.. just crawls right out.. and super quite.. may never buy a 2 st again
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If I was going to pay near $9,000.00 for a new Tundra, I would just buy the new WideTrack with the 550 fan. I think the 550 fan is the best utility engine ever.

Luckily, I'm not paying close to $9,000! I wanted a sled with that 550 fan, though, that's why I went after this particular sled...

I would buy the 600 4 stroke over the 550 fan just for the fact it gets double the fuel mileage!

But if I was paying that much money I would get a SUV/Wide Track/ or Super Wide Track Skandic with a 600 SDI or 800 4 stroke. Twice the machine the Tundra is and about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would buy the 600 4 stroke over the 550 fan just for the fact it gets double the fuel mileage!

But if I was paying that much money I would get a SUV/Wide Track/ or Super Wide Track Skandic with a 600 SDI or 800 4 stroke. Twice the machine the Tundra is and about the same price.
    Get one and we will play follow the leader. The newer Tundra long tracks are more like a Summit off trail. You can go slower and through tighter trees. They pull almost as well as a wide track.

I ride early and late. Fans don't overheat.

BK
    True story. The only thing the new ones have in common with the pre-2006 models is the name. After 2005 they should have named them something else. It would have eliminated alot of confusion because they're really apples and oranges; not remotely comparable. Pre-2006 models are about the best trapline/utility sled ever made. Post-2005 models: not.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    If you want to ride with your chin on your knees, get an old one. If you prefer comfort, get a new one.
    Herein lies the difference between 'riders' and 'sitters'.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Exactly. There are only two running boards for switching sides

I think the 550 fan is the best utility engine ever.
    Strongly disagree. The 550 gets terrible gas mileage and smokes a cylinder for no reason whenever it feels like it. The old rotax 500 fan was the best utility engine. Good mileage and ran forever. Highly doubt any 550 out there will see over 30,000 trapping miles with no troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I ride early and late. Fans don't overheat.
    The machines bronco is talking about have radiators with fans. They don't overheat either.

Somehow I knew this would happen!

I appreciate all the feedback, but I'm only interested in information about the new tundra! I may be buying one today, not a skandic, not a wt or a lt, just a plain Jane 137" tundra. Could we please save this debate for AFTER 6:00 tonight, when I've either purchased or passed on the machine? For the record, I'm not paying MSRP so "taking that money and getting X sled" won't work. I'm just looking for information about THIS machine so I can hear what you guys have to say and let it influence my purchase.

I just thought about what I just wrote - am I crazy? I'm getting the sled, and if I don't like it, I'll get rid of it! Carry on!

Send a PM to Bluethunder he has one.
    I have an 08 550F and a 99 Tundra R. The 08 is leaps and bounds better for me than the 99. I don't have the pogo suspension on mine.
    I like the 99 and it was a lot cheaper than my 08 but underpowered and lacking in comfort.
    The Expedition sport is also a good option. Mine is a 2011 with the 600ACE motor and I love it. Twice the fuel mileage, quieter, and no 2 stroke smell.
    It is nice to have the warranty of the new sled. The old sleds were good but you are sometimes buying sombody elses problems.
    I think you have made a wise choice in buying a Tundra.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast