Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Accubond compared to Hornady Interbond

Default Nosler Accubond compared to Hornady Interbond

I was looking for advice on the comparison of these 2 bullets to be used in a 270 Weatherby in 150 grain at about 3200 fps and a 300 Win Mag in 180 grain at 3000 fps. Will likely be used for Elk and Auodad sheep at 200 to 400 yd ranges. Is the Interbond strong enough for this type of use and will it perform as intended?Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    I was looking for advice on the comparison of these 2 bullets to be used in a 270 Weatherby in 150 grain at about 3200 fps and a 300 Win Mag in 180 grain at 3000 fps. Will likely be used for Elk and Auodad sheep at 200 to 400 yd ranges. Is the Interbond strong enough for this type of use and will it perform as intended?Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    I have shot both, but have only killed animals with Accubonds. The Accubonds just plain WORK, they are accurate and devastating on game. I use interbonds to work up loads and shooting, but for my money Accubonds all day everyday.

I have many more bullet path photos, I taken Moose, sheep, bears, goats and they all died quickly.

A few I have recovered.

Last Grizzly I killed with a 180 grain Accubond. 2917fps 30-06, this is a photo of the off side leg after the bullet went all the way through.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've killed game with both. For my money the Accubond is a darn sight better bullet. I use the 180gr at 2950 in my .300 and have yet to recover a bullet- I've killed a number of critters from 70-330yds and made a couple of "finishers" at the ranges of feet. I'm used to seeing good expansion and large exits without many bullet fragments on the way through.

The AB is my preferred bullet in any gun I shoot game with. 180s in the .300, 150s in the .308, 260s in the .375 and 140s in the .270

I had a couple of Interbonds come unglued on a close shot, no such issues with the AB.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I really wished that Accubonds had worked in my 300 SAUM, but it just did not like them. They are a great bullet. However, the 300 SAUM loves 180g partitians to the point that it shoots better than I can hold it. Nothing wrong with that.

I've had no problem with my Hornady Interbonds killing each animal I shot at.

Sort of a comparison. My son-in-law uses the Hornadys exclusively and has had great results. I've shot a few animals with the Accubonds, and they have done well too.

But here's the deal. They've all been soft tissue shots- often a rib here and there, but other than that mostly lungs and hide. We intentionally shoot to miss the big bones, so have very little info on hitting them. Just not our thing to put holes, even little ones, in good shoulders. And either of us will pass on animals rather than take a Texas heart shot. If you shoot the same way, pick the one that shoots best in your gun and you'll be happy.

I have shot game with the interlocks, interbonds, accubond, and this year the barnes TTSX. The TTSX shot the best in my xbolt .338 at 2950 fps and also in my uncles Ruger .338. I worked up 5 loads of each bullet using 2 with 4831 and 3 with RL17. The RL17 at 73.5 grains (don't quote me on that one - this is from memory only) was the hottest load and most accurate in the TTSX.

It performed flawlessly on Griz and Bou from 650 yards to 70 yards.

I had always mostly shot the interlock by Hornady - and never wanted to spend more money on the interbond or accubond - and until this year I had never shot the Barnes. I will be shooting the Barnes a lot more now while hunting - probably won't use anything else.

but for practicing and plinking - I will shoot the interlock or something more reasonably priced.

I myself think that Nosler came up with the clear winner for an all around hunting bullet that just plain works AND is accurate in alot of different rifles - The barnes TSX is real good too but so is the Partition - if you're a "numbers" guy the Accubond will always look better on paper or in stid's pictures !

Default Nosler Accubond compared to Hornady Interbond

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I use the 180gr at 2950 in my .300 and have yet to recover a bullet- I've killed a number of critters from 70-330yds and made a couple of "finishers" at the ranges of feet
    Hodge- have you recovered any boolits at the lower range spectrum to compare its composition to that of one at the farther range spectrum?

Curious on impact expansion at high and lower speeds. Any sign of expansion failure at the 70yd range?

I too run the 180 Accubonds in my 300wm but haven't recovered a boolit, yet.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Hodge- have you recovered any boolits at the lower range spectrum to compare its composition to that of one at the farther range spectrum?

Curious on impact expansion at high and lower speeds. Any sign of expansion failure at the 70yd range?

I too run the 180 Accubonds in my 300wm but haven't recovered a boolit, yet.
    Fraid not...everything to date has been a complete shoot through. The exits are generally large enough that I'm sure the bullet fully expanded and the lack of fragments or pieces of jacket lead me to think that it held together on its way through. The 70yd shot was a small caribou bull hit behind the shoulder- small hole in and about a 3" exit through the ribs. Died where he stood.

The two "finishers" were headshots at ranges of about 20yds and about 5ft. Both exited but given the sheer carnage, I didn't muck about looking for bullet fragments and such.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I had what i consider to be unusual performance from a 225gr Accubond out of a .358 Norma a couple years ago on a large Whitetail buck. the shot was about 10 yds. so the impact velocity was essentially muzzle velocity right at 2800 fps. Shot was broad side double lung. Deer ran about 150 yds. down hill. Luckily in a field so recovered by sight because there was not a single drop of blood. Upon inspection there was a .358" hole in one side and an only slightly bigger hole out the other side. No ribs hit. Lungs were liquified but all stayed inside the cavity. Not even a red spot on the hide.

I have not had this experience before or since. But it was baffling. I still use them because I believe they are a good bullet. But I cannot explain that performance that day.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I had what i consider to be unusual performance from a 225gr Accubond out of a .358 Norma a couple years ago on a large Whitetail buck. the shot was about 10 yds. so the impact velocity was essentially muzzle velocity right at 2800 fps. Shot was broad side double lung. Deer ran about 150 yds. down hill. Luckily in a field so recovered by sight because there was not a single drop of blood. Upon inspection there was a .358" hole in one side and an only slightly bigger hole out the other side. No ribs hit. Lungs were liquified but all stayed inside the cavity. Not even a red spot on the hide.

I have not had this experience before or since. But it was baffling. I still use them because I believe they are a good bullet. But I cannot explain that performance that day.
    Boy, that is a head scratcher! Back in the early days of the 6mmTCU and 7mmTCU the available bullets simply wouldn't expand reliably, sometimes even at close range, but most assuredly past 100 yards. I got a lot of similar entrance/exits to what you describe, but never the jello lungs. Just perforation with some bruising running out maybe an inch past the holes. I'm frankly kinda surprised your bullet managed to exit. A true conundrum.

For all around bullet, the Accubond is really hard to beat, giving you the best of many types of bullets all wrapped up in one bullet. Opens great, holds together, has great BC and hopfully since I have just finished bedding my 8mm Rem Mag I will get them to shoot better. The only problem I have had with the bullet is not in terminal preformance but in finding accurate loads sometimes and I am not talking about my 8mm Rem Mag that was not bedded but in other customs I had built for me. In my 7mmSTW they were not only awesome on taking game and killing them quickly but that riflle just loved Accubonds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Also so guys aren't spending big money on accubonds to see if they work by the nosler ballistic tip in the same weight. Those two bullets are identical, read that on another forum... I tried it and sob it did work, so way to save money when working up a load...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Also so guys aren't spending big money on accubonds to see if they work by the nosler ballistic tip in the same weight. Those two bullets are identical, read that on another forum... I tried it and sob it did work, so way to save money when working up a load...
    My rifle shoots these so close together they're interchangable. Work up loads and practice with BTs...confirm zero and hunt with ABs.

I am surprised to hear that the nosler BT is comparable to the accubond. I used to shoot the BT a lot for mule and whitetail deer with a lot of shots not passing through in a .300winnie with the 180 grainers. I thought the AB were bonded bullets and the BT not bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am surprised to hear that the nosler BT is comparable to the accubond. I used to shoot the BT a lot for mule and whitetail deer with a lot of shots not passing through in a .300winnie with the 180 grainers. I thought the AB were bonded bullets and the BT not bonded.
    They are definately not the same construction and behave way differently on game. What 323 pointed out is that the bullets are shaped the same and have the same POI/POA using like weights.

I can use BTs for practice and load development then just substitute the AB bullet for hunting and the POI doesn't change.

I recovered another 200gr .323 Accubond this year. Left the Kimber at just under 2950, went through a moose chest at 365 yds, through the lower shoulder on far side, lodged under the hide. Nice little mushroom and it weighs 150gr. Might weigh a little less if I cleaned it up more but still, 140gr is 70 percent of its weight. Nosler says they will retain 70 percent. It was probably at about 2200fps on impact. It looks just like Steve's.

Here's the pic I posted in the Meat Bull thread.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    They are definately not the same construction and behave way differently on game. What 323 pointed out is that the bullets are shaped the same and have the same POI/POA using like weights.

I can use BTs for practice and load development then just substitute the AB bullet for hunting and the POI doesn't change.
    i am the same way... the ballistic tips have the same SD and BC... are half the cost when ordered on line then the Accubonds... i buy a TON of factory seconds for load devlopements... and Nosler is about the onlyone you can do that with.. Hornady wont sell seconds outside of the town they are made in..

then i hunt witht he accubond on top.. and will have Ballistic tips as secondary rounds in the hole... works great ... the first one punches through the following BT.. just hurt all the way through. though i mistakenly shot a yote with the BT rather then the ACcu.. got half a yote left over
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am surprised to hear that the nosler BT is comparable to the accubonds. I used to shoot the BT a lot for mule and whitetail deer with a lot of shots not passing through in a .300winnie with the 180 grainers. I thought the AB were bonded bullets and the BT not bonded.
    the ballistic tip is designed to begin mushroom on impact.. has a tiny space behind the tip to allow it on impact to gain speed, and hammer open the bullet... the accubonds are a solid that take more to push open... size and shape are the same on them though... with the same sectional density.. and balletic coefficient..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast