Thread: Installing Electric Start

Default Installing Electric Start

How hard is it to install electric start on a 2011 or 2012 Polaris RMK 600? I know my way around a wrench, I just havenít messed around much with snowmachines other than regular maintenance.

I would think it's would be a insulation, Do you have a battery in your snowmobile now?

From what I have been told it is not worth the cost. I have an Arctic Cat and was told about $600. I need to change out wire harness, add starter, battery, change out switch etc. And then when you get ready to ride and it is real cold you end up pull starting anyways because the batter will not do the job. That is from experience. This is just IMO.

I donít own one yet. Looking at potentially buying one for my wife and electric start is a ďmust have.Ē I know the kit from the dealer is $600 but I want to know how much trouble it is to actually install it. It would help me to decide on what price I might be willing to pay on a non ES versus an ES sled.

While my sleds are pull start, my wifeís current sled, as well as those of our riding partners, have electric start. Theyíve all started fine down to -25F. We donít go riding if it gets colder than that.

Do you have a clutch puller? Other than that the new sleds are mostly plug and play for these type of add-ons. And my sled won't pull over at 40 below but it cranks with the starter.

It shouldn't be too bad on a newer sled. As stated before, the only special tool you may need is a clutch puller, but they aren't too spendy. I am getting ready to add e-start to a 600 Summit, instructions show to pull clutch, install ring gear, add starter, connect new wiring harness and mount the battery tray. If your electric start doesn't work to start the motor, there are other issues that need to be addressed first.