Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DU Banquet 20 Oct, who's going??

Default DU Banquet 20 Oct, who's going??

I haven't seen much advertisement for this, so I thought I'd see how many people were planning on going. They're doing it at the Lion's Club in Eagle River
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

That is the day after I fly out for Kodiak, darn I was looking forward to trying to win some decoys!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

probably a stupid question but I will be returning home from my deployment very soon and have never been to one. How does one get to go to the banquet. How much does it cost and what is it all about. I have been in Alaska for almost year and a half and trying to get involved in as much hunting and fishing as I can. Can anyone help me out.

Kevin, DU Banquet is a big fund raiser, they have one or 2 of them almost every month from sept to april up here. anybody can go, the really big ones you need to get tickets early, tickets run form 25-75 per plate, depending on the banquet. they have lots of door prizes, silent auctions and out cry auctions. most give away a lot of guns, one winter i won 3 guns at banquets. you can get some great bargans, and you can spend a lot of money. you don't have to spend more then the banquet ticket, but many spend more. our home is decorated with DU winnings. Have fun, if you never been to one, you should go. And be sure and go to the Spring BBQ banquet in april, it is one of the biggest in the nation. they gave away a toyota tacoma each of the past 2 years at it. Bud
    Wasilla

There is also an event in Anchorage on November 10th for people who can't get to the one in ER. If anyone has any questions about DU anywhere in the state, questions about events, donations, raffles, etc., please PM me.

There is also a banquet in Homer on Saturday Oct.27th at Land's End Resort.

Thanks Bud for the info. Once I get back to Alaska and get use to being at home again I will definitly be looking at going to some of these banquets sounds like alot of fun and hell I could win something that would be cool.

If I don't make it to this one which will be near my house, I will be going to the anchorage banquet.

where is the one where it costs 25 bucks????? i been to one of the du events and its for the rich man. pretty tough to get college kids in there buying decoy tickets and stuff where it cost 75 bucks just to get a seat. in mn i would go to them and it was $25 for all you can eat and all the beer you can drink then you could buy tickets for a bunch of different decoys.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

You are in alaska now - ain't nothin cheap here......

Yeah...been to many over the years that were 25 for seats..Texas and Alaska are the only ones I have gone to that were over that.

I really dont want to go there..and will bite my tongue for now. I will leave it with. It is not always about the ducks, some of the local DU events are starting to turn political, seen it first hand in other states. The chapters can get carried away at times and I hope Anchorage does not find itself going down this road.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    where is the one where it costs 25 bucks????? i been to one of the du events and its for the rich man. pretty tough to get college kids in there buying decoy tickets and stuff where it cost 75 bucks just to get a seat. in mn i would go to them and it was $25 for all you can eat and all the beer you can drink then you could buy tickets for a bunch of different decoys.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

to me i feel like they push the average hunter away and try to get the BIG dolla people there cause they know they have money to spend and will spend more then the average duck hunter. last one i went to people were dressing up i hardly seen much camo! but i guess thats how they get more money. o well just go spend my money on shells ha
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Yep..pretty much sums it up. Although, it has been said and shown in other areas..where DU chapter guys had a cookie in their hands as well.

I am a huge supporter of DU, have always been and will be. I just dont like how some chapeters cater to one side. I get the whole marketing scheme and how it works. Just think they would be more bang for their buck lowering prices. Not everything DU does and gets back in return is all from the Big Money events.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    to me i feel like they push the average hunter away and try to get the BIG dolla people there cause they know they have money to spend and will spend more then the average duck hunter. last one i went to people were dressing up i hardly seen much camo! but i guess thats how they get more money. o well just go spend my money on shells ha
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Guys, there are plenty of events all over the state. There are higher end ones, but the two you're mentioning are Top 100 events in the nation. It's an award they try to get each year, and in order to do it, you gotta make money somehow! There are plenty of other events with much lower price tags in our area. Just keep an ear in the wind and you'll hear about them, and also check the state's website.

And, like I always say, if you aren't happy with it, join a committee and help the committee make it better with your ideas!

I was going to the Spring BBQ event when it was very small and a afternoon event. It was fun then, but now that Marlin is in charge, it has grown to where they give away toyotas and wheelers, still fun, just to expensive for me now that i am retired. I really enjoy the smaller banquets, Wasilla has a small one coming up soon, it should be fun. There is one almost every month from fall to spring someplace in south central, and more in other communities, like the peninsula and fbk area. I was even part of organizing one down in Wash state that was advertised as a stag night for guys only, had a couple strippers and the whole works, very small event, only about 40 people there, but made money and was fun.

One of these might be a good place for a bunch of us to get together and reserve a table for just the forum guys and their ladies, get to know each other a bit when we can see who we are talking to. Maybe even Dr D will show up and entertain us. Bud
    Wasilla

I totally agree. I dont think we said we were not happy with it.
    I have, and will continue to donate funds and time. Different communities and areas have differnt agendas and goals. Not saying that the Anchorage agendas are bad or not heading in the right direction for the Ducks. Just that they cater to the bigger money more because they can(second largest city in Alaska) this allows them to do so. I think if they lowered the prices to 50 or 25 and still kept the other prices the same, it would not change much. I dont think $2500(100 people) would make that big of a difference per event. Then they could reserve a larger place to conduct the banquet and accomodate more seating to make up the cost, this in turn would create more opportunity for more revenue in the long run and get more people involved with volunteering with local projects. Just saying

Might move us up into the top 25 nation.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Guys, there are plenty of events all over the state. There are higher end ones, but the two you're mentioning are Top 100 events in the nation. It's an award they try to get each year, and in order to do it, you gotta make money somehow! There are plenty of other events with much lower price tags in our area. Just keep an ear in the wind and you'll hear about them, and also check the state's website.

And, like I always say, if you aren't happy with it, join a committee and help the committee make it better with your ideas!

Lets plan on it next year Bud.. I think thats a great idea. Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I was going to the Spring BBQ event when it was very small and a afternoon event. It was fun then, but now that Marlin is in charge, it has grown to where they give away toyotas and wheelers, still fun, just to expensive for me now that i am retired. I really enjoy the smaller banquets, Wasilla has a small one coming up soon, it should be fun. There is one almost every month from fall to spring someplace in south central, and more in other communities, like the peninsula and fbk area. I was even part of organizing one down in Wash state that was advertised as a stag night for guys only, had a couple strippers and the whole works, very small event, only about 40 people there, but made money and was fun.

One of these might be a good place for a bunch of us to get together and reserve a table for just the forum guys and their ladies, get to know each other a bit when we can see who we are talking to. Maybe even Dr D will show up and entertain us. Bud

Buying tickets as we speak for sat event.
    I do love the Spring BBQ event. I go to the Military night. Next night to many people and allot more high rollers....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default DU Banquet 20 Oct, who's going??

Halohandler and I will be there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast