Thread: Geese Oct. 3rd

Default Geese Oct. 3rd

Went out this morning with a buddy who's never shot a goose. Got out nice and early, weather was nice, seas were calm, not too windy.. had a place scouted out from the previous time I had gone out. Dug some shallow graves to hide in, set 4 dozen goose decoys out in a V formation with the open end on the downwind side, with the shallow graves just off to the side of it. It was to the THE perfect landing zone. Shooting light comes around right as we finish setting up... haven't seen many birds flying yet but we can hear them EVERYWHERE. Thousands of them. We gave it about 10 minutes and a group of about 8-12 come in low, they arent making much noise, but I toss them a few clucks and a moan just to keep em interested. They lock up hard, put down the landing gear, and back peddle over the decoys just hovering there like little helicopters... Right in the open end of the V formation of the decoys. I don't know how / why we didn't kill more from that group, but we both shot 3 times and 2 geese fell. I know for sure one was mine and the 2nd one was in dispute as to who shot it, so I let my buddy claim it. They were between 30-45 yards. We saw a bunch of other geese flying in the area over the next hour but nothing close enough to be interested in the decoys. I worked a group with a goose flag for about 4 circles before they lost interest which was pretty interesting. My buddy was messing around and stood up out of his grave and I saw a single flying in low and quiet, I told him to get down about half a dozen times before he heard me... he eventually got down, and the single continued in and locked up over the decoys, feet down, hovering about 5 feet off the ground. One shot, one dead bird, 30 yards. Lots and lots of geese continued to fly, then we got bored around 10:30 and tried the futile exercise in jump shooting geese... what a waste of time that was. As I was about 100 yards away from the spread, a group of 2 locked up over the decoys and hovered there for about 5 seconds before moving on. Right after that, a group of about 6-8 did the same thing, then landed just ahead of the spread. If we had only been more patient and waited in the graves! I'm going to take my wife out on friday and hopefully put her onto her first goose. I'm going to trade my shotgun for a video camera for that! Ended the day with 3 geese and the potential for lots more to be shot. Brandon geese Oct 2.jpg

Oh yeah, some of the mountains in the backround have been modified

Default Geese Oct. 3rd

Lol I don't think anyone is dumb enough to ask for your spot.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Ok, where is your spot?

LOL, awesome, I wish I didn't have to work today. I would have loved to jump in the boat with you and head down there again. I really wanted to bite the head of a goose for once!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

This guy kills me,.

looks like coffee point area to me..lol

Long walk for sure...glad he got on the geese..great spot for em.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Lol I don't think anyone is dumb enough to ask for your spot.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I tried biting the head of a goose this past weekend, they have pretty hard heads, ended up using the butt of the gun and their eyes popped out. Did bit a duck good and know how that is done now, tried to get Mary to take a photo of it but she freaked. Bud
    Wasilla

Thats hilarious...good job. Got to get her to finish on that picture. We would all love to see that..lol

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I tried biting the head of a goose this past weekend, they have pretty hard heads, ended up using the butt of the gun and their eyes popped out. Did bit a duck good and know how that is done now, tried to get Mary to take a photo of it but she freaked. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sounds like you might know what your doing Marine!

Some good looking Geese Marine!