Thread: 1851 navy colt 44.

Default 1851 navy colt 44.

hello...
    just picked up a nice 1851[1850] navy colt c.v.a. 44cal.
    seems to fire just fine with 3f pyrodex at 24 grains..but after lookin thru my old blk.powder mag. it seems to be a light load??
    also the wedge on the barrle doesent seem to go all the way thru the barrle--it is flush with the other side-seems tight enough..
    just thought it should go farther thru..not sure on the caps--been using #11s-tried 10s but they sit kinda high-but tight..
    11s sit lower but need to be pressed in on the sides some what..any one have any experance with this make of gun?
    thanks................

Lightbulb

Navy Colts are .36 caliber, Army Colts are .44 . . . check it out . .

The barrel wedge sounds right . . just tap it in until the cylinder is snug but moves freely . .

#11s sound right too . . a bit snug, but that's normal in my experience . .

thanks marcus....
    reason i thought it might be a navy colt was because of the navy scene on the clyinder...plus it has the six sided barrle not a round one..
    what about the load..i think about 30 grains might be about right for this gun..just have to go out and buy a loader for it..
    wheel bearing grease seems to work out okay to top off the rounds..
    hiker.............

Quote Originally Posted by hiker.wild View Post
    thanks marcus....
    reason i thought it might be a navy colt was because of the navy scene on the clyinder...plus it has the six sided barrle not a round one..
    what about the load..i think about 30 grains might be about right for this gun..just have to go out and buy a loader for it..
    hiker.............
    It's been so long since I've shot mine I can't recall. Years ago I cut the nozzle of my powder flask at whatever it was I figured was a good charge . . have no idea what it might have been. Enjoy the gun . . they're fun to shoot . .

I have one a friend had before me. He always shot it with as much powder as would fit under the ball, but I don't recall his charge. It's been shot a fair bit, and as a result is getting pretty loose.

Instinctively I'd stick with the 24 grain charge for longer life, but I have nothing to base that on. As for #11's, if you don't squeeze every one tight enough every time, eventually one or more will dislodge on firing and can easily jam things up. I went back to 10's, and have never had a misfire even though they do sit a little high. Just a whole lot less fiddly that squeezing all those #11's just right.

A couple of insights. Mine shot waaay too high. And of course, shooting high isn't solved by filing down the front sight. Did some reading and talking, and the traditional solution was to deepen the notch in the hammer and shorten the ears. If you look, there's lots of extra metal there and it doesn't hurt a thing. Did that, and now it's a tack driver.

One more insight- Mine actually shoots as well or better with Pyrodex P compared to Goex 3f. I have a hard time getting Goex but have an oversupply of Pyrodex, so that's the way I go.

Fun gun for head snapping snowshoe hares, but I have no visions of making it more powerful for other jobs.

cool, i have been looking at mine in the gun safe for a little while, this may be the impetus i needed to get it out....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

thanks again marcus - brownbear......

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    cool, i have been looking at mine in the gun safe for a little while, this may be the impetus i needed to get it out....
    I just pack mine along on hunts with other arms. Any time a hare hangs tight and close, I bap it. Some days that's the way all my shooting comes, and some days I don't get a shot. But even then I'm inclined to shoot the cylinder of loads once I get back to the truck. And one cylinder is never enough. I've gone through a lot of lead that way!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Authentic Navy Colts WERE 36 Cal. with an octagon barrel, BUT I had a replica, one that was 44 Cal.

I dunno who made it. Maybe Cabelas.

It shot he sights with 30 grains of 3F, and that was all I could get in there anyway, and still put in the boolit. I tried Triple 7, but shooting that felt like the gun was coming apart, and it didn't shoot the sights. BP was the way to go on all counts.

I used #11s and they would come off, after firing and end up jamming the cylinder, whither I bent them or not. I don't recall specifially, but I think I had the same problem with #10s.

I didn't like the "Bolt", it was broke. I got another one, and it was better but I figgered the design was a POS, and I sold it to a feller in Kodiak and the accessories and holster, etc. to a Lawyer in AR.

I thought I might try a Remington, but I can't deal with the caps coming off, and jamming the gun, so I've sorta guv up on Cap'n Ball revolvers.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker.wild View Post
    thanks marcus....
    hiker.............
    Try using Crisco shortening instead of axle grease. Works good, shoots cleaner, comes out of clothes better.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

thanks smitty....
    wounder what kind of caps they used back in the day ? had to be something more relieable !
    yeah its a fun gun to play with.... long to load and quick to fire............

the crisco kid--sure why not..
    thanks brav01....
    hiker..........fieldlines.com

just a update............
    checked out alaska list awhile back..saw a nice .50 hawkins on sale for 200 bucks.. thought about it for awhile...................................
    yeah it sold !! think long think wrong...............