Thread: Kodiak Help: Anvil Lake, Grants Lagoon, Booth Lake or Bumble bay

Default Kodiak Help: Anvil Lake, Grants Lagoon, Booth Lake or Bumble bay

Folks, i am planning on deer/caribou trip to the south end of Kodiak for deer, can anyone tell me the best of these spots to hunt deer (Anvil Lake, Grants Lagoon, Booth Lake Bumble bay). I am thinking Booth Lake or Anvil lake just because i can get away from the fishing/hunting charter boats. Any other advice would be well received. thank you

I don't think you will have much if any competition from the fishing/hunt/charter boats that far south and west on the island. Only a few dedicated people will be down there hunting or fishing.

With that said all of the places you mentioned have been known to produce caribou down there.

thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bill johnson View Post
    thank you for the advice, much appreciated.
    Anvil and Grants are known drop off points for Andrews and I am sure Seahawk and others down there. Bumble Bay I have heard of people getting flown into and a few guys that own their own boats accessing it during fishing season.

Booth Lake is a new one on me?

Sturgeon Lagoon is another good one and I don't think it sees any boat traffic due to the reef/barrier at the mouth. If you hunt there I would recommend bring a raft so you can access a larger portion of it.

I've hunted Anvil Lake a couple of times. We've found shed caribou horns, but never actually seen any caribou. On our first hunt there we really enjoyed ourselves. Lots of deer (and saw lots of bears - none close to the lake) - a really good time. The last trip there, our preferred camp site was wall to wall toilet paper and piles of crap. The pigs that were there before us were just that - pigs. Where on the first trip we could walk out of the tent & spot deer, now the deer were missing. They finally started to come back into the area at the end of our week there. That being said - check with your air taxi & ask him to drop you in an area that hasn't seen any human activity in the recent past. Anvil Lake is a very neat spot, but I wouldn't hunt it again, if I knew another party had been there the week before. Anvil Lk can also be a problem if/when the lake freezes. We were there at the beginning of November last time. Luckly it took a Beaver & a 206 to get us out. The Beaver came in first & had to break a lot of ice to pick up the first load. It had been cold for a couple of days, but too windy to fly. First calm night put over an inch of ice down. Dean (ANdrew Air) picked me up about 45 minutes later in the 206. He was pretty upset about the pilot that had broken the ice & said if he had come first, we would have had to pack out to Halibut Bay. That sure doesn't look like a fun pack.

Great point Gary! Some transporters are a lot better about that than others.

Thanks for the tips, i will be going in ther the wek of 15 october, unfortunately i spoke with Sea hawk air and bith Grants and Anvil have had hunters in there wuthin the past week. the Gran lagoon hunters found the caribou and it apperas they moved north towards Sturgeaon bay area, whihc may be a better place to go.