Thread: I have a question with night vision.

Default I have a question with night vision.

For predator hunting after the first of November is it legal to hunt predators with a trapping license using a night vision monocular. In the reg's it states no use of a night vision scope. Can somebody clear this question up for me?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    For predator hunting after the first of November is it legal to hunt predators with a trapping license using a night vision monocular. In the reg's it states no use of a night vision scope. Can somebody clear this question up for me?
    You have to post that up in the trapping forum, this is the hunting forum.

This should be a fun one to sit back and watch.

No. Flashlight is ok within an open season under trapping regs. Electronic enhanced optics is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

I don't think new users can access the trapping forum or I would move it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't think new users can access the trapping forum or I would move it.
    We need a eating popcorn emoticon, can you make that happen?

No, I really don't have time for adding stuff like that right now. I am way to busy fitting my quad rotor with some FLIR sighting upgrades and working out the 17HMR chain gun timing issues I have been facing. Nov is right around the corner!!

OP posted same in trapping forum; got no answer.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No, I really don't have time for adding stuff like that right now. I am way to busy fitting my quad rotor with some FLIR sighting upgrades and working out the 17HMR chain gun timing issues I have been facing. Nov is right around the corner!!
    Man sounds like you have your hands full right now. Hope you get the timing issues worked out on that chain gun, if not it might cause some serious equipment damage that will set you back some coin. Have you thought about consulting with Red Jacket Firearms? They seem to have away with projects like those.

Don't forget to wear your eyepro either!

I originally posted this thread in the trapping forum. No response everyone has there tongue tied or something. this is what the regs say what do you guys interpret it to mean.

It states you can not use an electronically enhanced night vision scope yes. But is that the same thing as a night vision monocular that is not attached to your rifle.

We need a eating popcorn emoticon, can you make that happen?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    I originally posted this thread in the trapping forum. No response everyone has there tongue tied or something. this is what the regs say what do you guys interpret it to mean.

It states you can not use an electronically enhanced night vision scope yes. But is that the same thing as a night vision monocular that is not attached to your rifle.
    So long as you cant Bolt the Night vision monocular to your fire arm you should be able to use it. Make sure you dont cross the line. I would post this up in "state troopers forum" and let them deal with it

It says with the "aid of" a night vision scope. It doesn't specify what type of "scope" they are referring to. It does not specify "rifle scope" call the troopers and get their take.

I say a "scope" that is referred to in the regs has a crosshair of some sort and is anchored to the rifle.
    A binocular is certainly not a "scope" and neither should be a monocular. Seeing in the dark is one thing,
    having a nite vision scope on your rifle enabeling you to shoot accurately in pitch dark is something totally
    different.

Night vission looking through scope or at open sights is a no.It would be no different than a night vission scope.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    I say a "scope" that is referred to in the regs has a crosshair of some sort and is anchored to the rifle.
    A binocular is certainly not a "scope" and neither should be a monocular. Seeing in the dark is one thing,
    having a nite vision scope on your rifle enabeling you to shoot accurately in pitch dark is something totally
    different.
    A telescope for viewing the stars is also a "scope." I think I'd be careful with this. The troopers might take a dim view of it all . . .

I have cleared this up with the troopers already no night vision of any kind period. It does not say nigh vision RIFLE scope it just says scope and this includes monoculars. I would just use a spotlight with a red or amber filter. It is far cheaper and works just as well if not better, You have to at least have moonlight for night vision to work if it is cloudy or snowing your NV is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I have cleared this up with the troopers already no night vision of any kind period. It does not say nigh vision RIFLE scope it just says scope and this includes monoculars. I would just use a spotlight with a red or amber filter. It is far cheaper and works just as well if not better, You have to at least have moonlight for night vision to work if it is cloudy or snowing your NV is useless.
    wait what if you look through it only with your non dominant eye on a tuesday?????

hmmm, still illegal?? really? huh, thought I had a loop-hole for sure there... someone pass the popcorn!