Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst fishing trip ever!

Angry Worst fishing trip ever!

I just got back from Yakutat, AK after a 5 day silver salmon fishing trip. I have never worked so hard for so few fish--ever! I caught 2 fish--and to get those 2 fish I had to hike almost 2 miles in waders--each way! The only place we caught fish was on the Tawah and most of them were caught at the confluence of the Lost and Tawah on the Tawah side. We tried the lower Situk, but nobody was catching fish there and the second day we went there there were breakers rolling up the river--you could surf upstream! We fished the upper portions of both the Lost and the Tawah and some of our group of 5 guys caught a couple on the Tawah between the bridge and the confluence. We hiked down the Lost to the confluence (only a 1/2 mile hike thru the tundra) and sat there watching some guys with a boat on the other side catch their limit, so the next 2 days we hiked all the way down the Tawah and caught 12 of our total of 15 fish (2 of which were mine).

Over 8,000 mile round trip, 5 days of hard fishing for 2 fish! I suppose it could have been worse--we could have all been skunked. I don't think I will ever try again--we have too much better fishing down here.

Default Worst fishing trip ever!

Certainly no big secret but the entire state experience record low fish returns spanning almost every species resulting in many district closures.

You didn't look into any of that prior to making a trip?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The guys I went with set this trip up back in May--I put in my deposit then and bought my plane ticket in June.

I have been on many a fishing trip and a few catching trips. Seems that I have to put in many fishing trips to find those meat haulin, arm wringing, real screeming, catching trips. We do have fun on all of our fishing trips too though. Sounds like your glass is half empty - you need to turn it over and make it half full!

Quote Originally Posted by flybug View Post
    I just got back from Yakutat, AK after a 5 day silver salmon fishing trip. I have never worked so hard for so few fish--ever! I caught 2 fish--and to get those 2 fish I had to hike almost 2 miles in waders--each way! The only place we caught fish was on the Tawah and most of them were caught at the confluence of the Lost and Tawah on the Tawah side. We tried the lower Situk, but nobody was catching fish there and the second day we went there there were breakers rolling up the river--you could surf upstream! We fished the upper portions of both the Lost and the Tawah and some of our group of 5 guys caught a couple on the Tawah between the bridge and the confluence. We hiked down the Lost to the confluence (only a 1/2 mile hike thru the tundra) and sat there watching some guys with a boat on the other side catch their limit, so the next 2 days we hiked all the way down the Tawah and caught 12 of our total of 15 fish (2 of which were mine).

Over 8,000 mile round trip, 5 days of hard fishing for 2 fish! I suppose it could have been worse--we could have all been skunked. I don't think I will ever try again--we have too much better fishing down here.
    Man, we will miss you if never make it back.

Default Worst fishing trip ever!

Yep and many hunters and anglers both resident and nonresident annually book trips and at times with disappointment.

Try dropping $14k on a sheep or moose/bear combo and not seeing a single animal or being weathered in.

I can relate to the frustration but to stop in here and rant and say fishin here sucks compared to hone base, well I don't think that's all too necessary.

I doubt Florida even comes close to the available species and runs of fish that are seen up here.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

PLEASE go back and tell EVERYONE how bad it was. I would appreciate less tourists.
    Sorry you had a bummer trip, maybe next time mother nature will play a little nicer.
    BK

Default Good Riddance

While I can see you're upset with the fact your Alaskan trip didn't pan out as you "expected"... I am drawn more to the fact you didn't mention anything else such as mother natures' amazing landscapes, any wildlife, possible hospitality provided by those you may have encountered or even the thought maybe everyone else in the entire state experienced the same year of fishing you did. From your report it appears "your abilities" as an angler were tested on this trip and Yakutat handed you some humble pie.

Enjoy the rat race of FLA and its 19Million+ people... We'll continue to be humbled by this wonderful state with her 663Million plus square miles, 722K people(You do realize that is roughly 918 Square Miles per person?), and the second to NONE fishing opportunities that keep our angling abilities finely tuned.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Do you know how many silvers I caught in the rivers this year? Zero! I had to go get mine in the ocean. Poor returns. That's why its called fishing and not catching.

Did the brochure say salmon fishing or catching trip you signed up for? But I'm with BK "PLEASE go back and tell EVERYONE how bad it was"
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Unfortunately flybug, you'll get very little sympathy. It's too bad that your trip didn't work out as you had hoped, but I'd rather spend 5 days wetting a line with a couple fish to show, than spend 5 days doing most anything else. Sure fishing could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse. Were you guided, or was this a DIY thing? Local knowledge can go a long way. It was a bad year for most up here.

To me it sounds like a group of guys went fishing in Alaska, got to see some unique country, and caught a few salmon.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Imagine how all the people who LIVE HERE felt when they didnt get the meat int he freezer they expected too because of the poor return. People who rely on that meat, not just fishing for them for fun. Your not the only one who was upset with the poor return. And if you feel it was sooo bad then please, by all means dont come back. Our salmon are under enough pressure as it is to have some out of stater who has money to blow coming up and catching them who doesnt even care about how it impacts the STATE and not your pleasure.

Tourists......

WOW... spending several days on new water in amazing country with good friends in seek of elusive salmon sounds like a blast to me. If putting fish in the freezer defines your trip, then be all means, just go to the grocery store. I agree with Bullelkklr, your glass is half empty when it should be half full. Hopefully after reading some of these responses you'll realize that your perspective needs a serious alteration...
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

From the sounds of it, I believe it has more to do with the fisherman than the fish!!!
    I enjoy myself every year I come up. Some are better than others, but hell it's a trip I can't wait for year after year.

Not looking for sympathy--don't need it--I have been on lots of great fishing trips in my life--all along the Gulf Coast except TX. I have fished the Bahamas, NC and I have fished all over FL. I have had a bad day once in a while (I don't think I can remember ever having been skunked on a trip other than one here at home), but I can't imagine fishing any place that I have been for 5 days with just 2 fish to show--just saying.

I went with a guy from Seattle that has been going there for over 20 yrs--he said they usually limit out, but from my perspective, it is just not worth the cost and effort to get there and a total cost of a couple $K with a chance of having a trip like I had again when the fishing is so good down here. I can go over to LA and catch 5 redfish a day for just a couple hundred bucks.

As for the scenery, it would have been nice to see some--all we could see was rain. I did get to see the base of the mountain for a few minutes one day. I did see a bear, but I have seen lots of them down here. The tundra looks a lot like our duck hunting marshes, but the walking is a lot easier up there.

The up side was the lodge (Leonards Landing)--nice facilities, and the guys I was with were as helpful as they could be--we ate good.

As for me, I stick with my tuna, tarpon, cobia, king mackerel, redfish, speckled trout, bonefish, snapper, grouper, amberjack and wahoo--right here my backyard.

I hope you guys have a better yr next yr.

Default It's all about perspective.

The up side was the lodge (Leonards Landing)--nice facilities, and the guys I was with were as helpful as they could be--we ate good.

I hope you guys have a better yr next yr.

With almost 100% certainty... Had you put the excerpt above in your original post the tune of our posts would have been a little different.

Any of us Alaskans who have spent time fishing this year for salmon in fresh water experienced the same thing you did. I would also bet some of us spent 5 or more weeks and probably close to $2k trying to be the on the river when the fish "finally showed up"... which for the most part they didn't.

Here's food for thought. You spent 5 days and $2k on a fishing trip/vacation that in your opinion was a bust. Imagine the charter outfits who had clients bail/cancel and commercial fisherman who didn't get their nets in the water due to the poor runs. They're out 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars.

Good luck and tight lines...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I hope the commercial guys do better next yr--I will be depending on them for my salmon!

Reading some of the other post about the flooding, if that has as much to do with survival as they suggest the 06 flood did, it looks like you guys are in for another bad yr in 2018.

I talked to Bob Miller at Situk Fly shop--really nice guy--so was his wife Teen, he said it was the worst he had seen in 20 yrs.

Still, I think I'll stay closer to home on my next fishing trip.

Lot's of luck to all of you.

A really good way to make lemonade out of them lemons: you're on saltwater, scrap a day of silver fishing and go halibut fishing, weather permitting. Look for dollies in the salt. Cutthroat in small streams and lakes. (Get some comfortable breathable waders and good shoes; a 2 mile hike to fish isn't a real big deal.) Steelhead up the Situk. By limiting options to one species you are relying upon a good return of fish that is arriving the same time you are. Limiting yourself to the shore means pounding the tundra a bit and increases your odds of being skunked.

Sorry your trip wasn't better catching wise. For those of us who reside in this great state, catching has not been much better. If it weren't for the reds on the Kenai this year, our freezer would be empty.

I was hoping for some other species--I took my flyrod, but conditions just weren't that good. Situk was really high pretty much the whole time I was there. Much of where we went was not up to me and I was just not that knowledgable about options on my own. The guy I was with did find the one spot that was producing fish.

I do feel for you guys that live up there with the high cost of food and have to depend on fish that you catch to feed you family--it has got to be tough this yr.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    A really good way to make lemonade out of them lemons: you're on saltwater, scrap a day of silver fishing and go halibut fishing, weather permitting. Look for dollies in the salt. Cutthroat in small streams and lakes. (Get some comfortable breathable waders and good shoes; a 2 mile hike to fish isn't a real big deal.) Steelhead up the Situk. By limiting options to one species you are relying upon a good return of fish that is arriving the same time you are. Limiting yourself to the shore means pounding the tundra a bit and increases your odds of being skunked.

Sorry your trip wasn't better catching wise. For those of us who reside in this great state, catching has not been much better. If it weren't for the reds on the Kenai this year, our freezer would be empty.

I just want to know one thing………………who in the heck goes to yakutat to fish for salmon?????????????

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast