Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak fishing trip with own boat info

Default Kodiak fishing trip with own boat info

I was wondering if anyone has any experience taking their own boat via ferry to Kodiak and fishing. I thought that it would be a fun time going over for about a week or so and doing some fishing and exploring. I realize that weather can make or break the trip. I am looking for some info on how easily it is to get into some fish, or is it a lot like PWS where you really have to hunt for them? Is there places to camp with a truck/camper/boat package? I also heard that it was not uncommon to be harassed by the locals while out on the water. Is that true? Any suggestions/comments? Thanks.

Default Re: Kodiak fishing trip with own boat info

I was considering following the ferry in my boat some time. My wife has friends in Kodiak and used to live there.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Is that your Boat? If so just run it over. Lots of places to see and fish on the way over. If you want more info PM me.

There are good state campgrounds at the Buskin and at Fort Abercrombie, one in either direction of town and about 5 miles from the boat ramps.

The good news is there are lots of folks that don't like the harassment from the handful of locals who might do so. Yeah, you can mill around in the crowd with them and they'll harass you like they do everyone else, but there's just a whole lot of fishy water away from them. As a newcomer you might be tempted to motor into the crowds, but instead use your fish sense to check out some other spots. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the fishing and not have to dodge boats.

I spent a week there in my boat out of Homer, had a great trip and the fishing was very good. Im going to make it a yearly trip, the locals I met were very friendly and helpful we had a great time.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but thanks for the info guys. MGH55 I don't think that I would run my boat over. I think I will stick with the ferry, and take a few friends to help even out the cost and share the fun. Glad to hear that those who have done it have good things to say. BrownBear, good advice just to stay away, just didn't know if they came looking for trouble? I would rather be away from others anyway. Does anyone have any preferences on time of year? How far do you usually have to run out from the harbor to start getting into some decent fishing? As I'm writing this I have to laugh, because now I know how the newbies to PWS feel when they get on here and pick peoples brains Any advice is greatly appreciated!

In the 5 years I've lived here, I have never ran into any "locals" that were a problem. Lots of good fishing inside 10 miles out (bouy 4, fingers reefs, bouy 3, north end of Long Island, Broad Pt.) A little farther, maybe 12 miles to the triple humps on the east side of Long Island. Close to 20 miles out to get to cape Chiniak. Lots of people fish between Long and Woody islands which is less than 5 miles probably. I really like Middle to end of July, But May-September all have been good from one year to the other.

Kevin
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Good summary. If I had to pick one month for the most action it would be August, particularly the last half. The pinks are thinning as the silvers build, and there's no shortage of kings. Halibut are shallow, and you can find good fishing almost anywhere you point the boat.

Something you didn't ask, but there are a couple of outfits that will dress, vacuum seal, freeze and box your catch, and both have docks for your deliveries.

That sure sounds a lot better than fishing out of some of the ports near the bigger cities - short runs and lots of fish.......got to love that.

Kodiakbound, thanks for the great info. How is the ling cod fishing around there? Bullelkklr, it does sound great not having to run such long distances before being able to wet a line. BrownBear, using a packer there will make things much easier. I am really looking forward to trying this next year.

I don't target lings but catch enough targeting other species to know there are plenty out there, but like I'm sure is true for other ports the farther from the dock you get the more lings seem to be around. If your familiar with fishing Alaskan waters, I would think you'll have little trouble finding some fish.
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

How much is the ferry to take a 18' searunner (ya -bein lazy today). I have thought about deflating my 15-5" zodiac and throwin it in the back of my truck with the launch wheels and taking it over there. If you only have to go 10 to 15 miles to get into good fish - the ole Zod would work fine for a little less cost. Short runs in it are fine and being a bit uncomfortable for a few hours we can deal with....long days in the sound on long runs, we prefer the hard bottom boat..........

the fold up boat would be your best bet, the cost of taking a boat over is quite high , length ???? if you have a 15 ft Zodiak an put it in a PICKUP, would be the cheepest way if you have access to the military base [ CC ] they have all you will need housing , food , freezer space , an a place to process your catch , I have dun it a few times to godeer hunting in pass years an used the CC station

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience taking their own boat via ferry to Kodiak and fishing.......

I also heard that it was not uncommon to be harassed by the locals while out on the water. Is that true? Any suggestions/comments? Thanks.

Wow, do we really have a reputation like this among others around the state ?? Is amazing to imagine from my perspective,..

I haven't done much sportfishing, so maybe I'm missing something, but as a Commercial guy, just running by smaller sport boats, full of guys jigging, or trolling around,
    I Make It A Point,...to Slow Down,... just to make sure I don't rock them too hard with my wake,...practicing courtesy on the water

Can hardly imagine Harassment down here,...by locals,...and there is such a huge fleet here I can't imagine anybody can tell if you are from out of town or not, if that's what you've heard, that it's a territorial thing

Anyway, I was just wondering, if this really happens, among the sport guys...and hope you have a great trip, when you come down Soundfisher

you got some good info here, should be pretty good fishing not far from the docks, and there are a LOT of options,...an entire reef complex surrounding the Kodiak area, and extending throughout Chiniak/Marmot bays,...Strong Stocks throughout

Don't limit yourself, to where the others are, That's the Great Part of your plan, " the Flexibility, of boat ownership"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

When I had my 18' hewes shiped over from homer it was almost 1500 bucks for just boat and trailer, no truck. Hope that helps.

I was checking the prices on the AK ferry. Looks like $12.60 per foot one way, plus $75 per person. For me, that will be about $1000 each way with four people. That is spendy, but between the four of us, I think it will be well worth the money for 7 days exploring the surf and turf. I don't think that I will be running the long distances every day like I do in the Sound, so my fuel consumption will offset what I may usually spend. Plus, I think it will be just a great time in general. Thats gotta be worth $100+/- a day!

...about $1000 each way with four people. That is spendy, but between the four of us, I think it will be well worth the money for 7 days exploring the surf and turf.
    Another way to look at it- That wouldn't buy airplane tickets, hotel and charter for one day of fishing. Seven days of fishing in your own boat is a real fair alternative.

I was checking the prices on the AK ferry. Looks like $12.60 per foot one way, plus $75 per person. For me, that will be about $1000 each way with four people. That is spendy, but between the four of us, I think it will be well worth the money for 7 days exploring the surf and turf. I don't think that I will be running the long distances every day like I do in the Sound, so my fuel consumption will offset what I may usually spend. Plus, I think it will be just a great time in general. Thats gotta be worth $100+/- a day!
    Not trying to be discouraging, but it's going to be quite a bit more than a thousand dollars. They ding you extra for width and height on a boat. At least on the one I bought and had shipped and the one I sold and the buyer had shipped. But Like Brownbear said it will be money well spent. Just giving you a heads up on the price, unless something has really changed in the last couple of years. Maybe someone else can chime in that has done it recently? If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    Not trying to be discouraging, but it's going to be quite a bit more than a thousand dollars. They ding you extra for width and height on a boat. At least on the one I bought and had shipped and the one I sold and the buyer had shipped. But Like Brownbear said it will be money well spent. Just giving you a heads up on the price, unless something has really changed in the last couple of years. Maybe someone else can chime in that has done it recently? If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Kevin
    Your probably right about that Kevin, I think that they charged me extra when I brought my boat up from Seattle for the height. I tried calling today, but they were closed. Ill call tomorrow and come up with some numbers to post. I have a 20' commercial skiff also that I could take, but I would rather have a little comfort. Thanks for the info!

Kodiakrain, I just heard that from a couple of people, but you know how the rumor mill works! Thanks for the feedback

I talked to the AMH this morning and the price is what I originally thought. It will be about $730 for my long bed extended cab with camper, and my boat. 58' total. $12.60 per foot. There is also a $75 per person charge. The problem that I have ran into, is that I have to "shuffle" my setup because the elevator is not long enough to lower it. The Tustamina's elevator is only 40', and the Kennicot is 50'. Unfortunately, I need another vehicle that is at Homer and Kodiak that can pull my boat on and off of the ferry. Does anyone know someone that I can hire to do this?

Kodiakbound, if the boat was between 8'6" and 8'11" feet wide there is an extra 25% added to the price. There was no charge for height, and their doorway is 15' high. I just remembered that when my boat was shipped several years ago, they also added a 25% surcharge for fuel. I wonder if that was what happened to you? Thanks for everyones input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast