Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Min Caliber to fix this problem

Default Min Caliber to fix this problem

Yes one of these posts.....
    bears28n-1-web.jpg

20 yards........ 10 footer, 900 pounds......

1) 30-06
    2) 45-70
    3) 375 H&H
    4) 12 GA
    5) 44 mag handgun

Please pick and tell why......

I think the bullet construction may matter more that the choice of calibers Ron? IMO heavy bullets with a strong jacket to bust through all the bone it can muster would be my thought. That would likely eliminate the 12ga, probably the 44 - plus I am not sure I would be as accurate with it - either of the other 3 with a premium bullet and a lot of luck would be my choice, the 375 would be my first...
    If bear is on a dead charge its gonna be one shot and aimed at center mass - the "pucker" factor would be max on the scale also!
    All would work to wing your partner in the leg to give you a better chance also!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I agree with Smokey. Any of the rifle calibers with a heavy bullet and possibly the 12 gauge loaded w/ Brenneke Dangerous Game Slugs.

Leave the .44 for black bears.

I'ld go with the 44 only because the bear in the pic ain't charging and I would still have to carry whatever I picked. :-)
    If it was that bear heading inbound I would want the 375, and I'ld want it in an auto too.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think the bullet construction may matter more that the choice of calibers Ron? IMO heavy bullets with a strong jacket to bust through all the bone it can muster would be my thought.
    It's funny, my goofy posts or any others, no one has ever talked or mentioned standard cup and core bullets except the Remington 405 in the 45-70. So in the situation, federals,remingtons and winchester standard fair would not be a good choice?

I forgot, if this was the shot presented, where would you aim biased on the arms given?

Any of them (though Iím not a 44mag or 12gage slug guy) and if I think I got ta shoot at that picture Iím gonna aim for that mean lookin K9 tooth on the right, my right.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Miminum,,,, hmmmm I'd pick them in this order, changing loads may change the order.
    Since its not a big bear any listed would work.

1) 375 with strong 300 grain.
    2) 45-70 with 450 grain hard cast or Swift Aframe.
    3) 30-06 with 220 grain Kidiak.
    4) 44 mag handgun with 325 grain WFN hard cast.
    5) 12 gauge with 1 1/4 oz DG type slug.

Id shoot the end of that snout.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

45-70, Garret hard cast, center mass/shoulders.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

OP says minimum, not the best so I'd say the minimum would be the .44 mag and he doesn't give a bullet choice. Best I'd say the .375, then ,.45-70, slug and bringing up the "minimum" would be the .44 mag.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Re: Min Caliber to fix this problem

2 or 3 with Max weight and load

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

30-06 with 220 grain Partition

Minimum, not best

What problem?
    Isn't that 'Ben', the bear Grizzly Adams used to wrestle with?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Cessan308 nailed the question - min caliber - since min cartridge was not asked.

The 06 has killed many bears back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I forgot, if this was the shot presented, where would you aim biased on the arms given?
    I am putting the cross hairs right on his right snot hole, if you have ever been punched in the nose you will grasp that while you may not be dying you are in no mood to continue to fight, if that shot does not kill Boo Boo then you should gain time to get in another round or two while he is smarting...!
    I would guess most cupncore bullets at 20 yards would do the job if you shot him in the head, take a neck or chest shot and I don't know how far in they would last. I agree that a Nosler Partition in the 3006 would probably be a decent choice.

Might be wise to toss him a snickers bar and back off about 50 more yards before you open fire with any of them!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I pass on all accounts ! I don't feel like skinning a bear, as long as he doesn't want to skin me.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

.375 right up the snout sitting in the middle of that big ol' punkin' head.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Cessan308 nailed the question - min caliber - since min cartridge was not asked.

The 06 has killed many bears back in the day.
    I think Ron is asking what minimum caliber to stop a charging bear not just kill it. I thought long and hard on this 12 years ago, just married and with a baby on the way, so I picked up a .458 Win Mag.

That said, I'd rate the 12ga as minimum and aim for the chest. I got a talk from a F&W Protection officer when I was a kid about shooting bear. He shot one in the head front on with a .375 H&H and it bounced off. He finished off the bear with two in the chest.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    got a talk from a F&W Protection officer when I was a kid about shooting bear. He shot one in the head front on with a .375 H&H and it bounced off. He finished off the bear with two in the chest.
    I've heard the "bouncing off the head" thing a bunch of times, but only anecdotally (ie. secondhand or thirdhand stories). Has anyone ever personally bounced a bullet off a bear's skull- figure if anyone ever did it and lived to tell, they'd be here.

FWIW- not calling anybody out or anything, but I'd have a hard time believing a bear skull could deflect a .375H&H to any great degree...or at least to a degree that it'd matter.

I've headshot a few critters (no bears though) at close-ish range and the effect is pretty dang dramatic with rifle cartridges.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

So if 375 rounds bounce off bears heads then why do they do so well on elephant skulls?
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast