Thread: Remote Strips

Default Remote Strips

I am planning on a float hunt for moose and there are several strips (with cabins) along the river I am floating. I was hoping to possibly be able to use one or two for meat haul purposes. I was wondering on how does one go about finding out who owns a private strip and getting their permission to use it. Thanks

Drew

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    I am planning on a float hunt for moose and there are several strips (with cabins) along the river I am floating. I was hoping to possibly be able to use one or two for meat haul purposes. I was wondering on how does one go about finding out who owns a private strip and getting their permission to use it. Thanks

Drew
    I guess you'll have to give more information than you included in your original message. For instance, what river? The whole length of it? Or ----- what part of it.

I've found that the nearest Approach Control usually knows who owns a really private strip. Oil companies, for instance. Lots of these strips are simply left over from earlier oil and gas exploration, and are free game for you. Others, of course, are part of a commercial lodge and may be REALLY private. So ............

What river are you planning to float?

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply to the question. I am planning on floating the KAHILTNA from Cash Creek to the YENTNA to the SUSITNA. I am planning on putting in by ferrying in gear at CASH Creek (just west of Petersville) and then taking out by jet boat at the Sue. There are several Strips along the rivers that I was hoping to be able to use incase we needed to make a meat haul. I just donít know who owns them. I donít think any of the strips I have seen along the rivers are a lodge or guide operation just private strips.

Thanks
    Drew

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to post a reply to the question. I am planning on floating the KAHILTNA from Cash Creek to the YENTNA to the SUSITNA. I am planning on putting in by ferrying in gear at CASH Creek (just west of Petersville) and then taking out by jet boat at the Sue. There are several Strips along the rivers that I was hoping to be able to use incase we needed to make a meat haul. I just donít know who owns them. I donít think any of the strips I have seen along the rivers are a lodge or guide operation just private strips.

Thanks
    Drew

Hi Drew,

In the old days, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) used to have ownership maps of that area. They were used for oil leasing purposes, as I recall it.

The rivers, though, have plenty of usable sand bars that will handle most of the local bush planes. Or used to, at any rate. Surely theys still do.

Finally, I would think that you could use any of the small strips that you may find along those waters. Just don't block the strips with you camp or meat cache! You can always apologize later, if someone gets sticky with you...................

Good luck,

Mort

Drew,

Try the MAt Su Borough tax office in Palmer. If the property is privately owned, somebody's paying taxes on it.

Smile One the money

Pid,
    You hit the nail on the head. I found who owns the land - its a big mining Co. out of germany but their local rep is an Anchorage Lawyer. I am not too sure that is the answer I wanted.

thanks for the point

Drew