Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddest day of the year...

Default Saddest day of the year...

Well I winterized the boat yesterday, yep put it away. Saddest day of the year. I may still use it one more time, but I winterized it anyway as the next chance I have (due to work schedule) will be in November and I cannot count on the weather being good.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

You are such a quitter. J/K. I am almost done too, I am going to try to put my boy on a deer next chance we get, and I am going to try to fish this king derby in Homer on my 12 hours off, lol, but other than that, I may be done for the year as well.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Put away the ocean boat 3 weeks ago....certianly was a sad day.
    Good news is the airboat stays out till the snowmachines come out of the shop. Last year we were breaking ice to get out of the launch in late Oct and it snowed while at the cabin. Broke ice getting back home too, woo-hoo!
    BK

Mine is covered up for the winter, but never fully winterized. I'm planning on a deer hunt in November and plenty of winter king trips too. But yes it was a sad day when I put the tarp over the boat.....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Mines next to the potbarn, i've got a few projects to do before the cover goes on !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I pulled my boat back from Whittier on Sunday, definitely a bummer. I too, however, am planning a deer hunt in November if the weather ever decides to cooperate.

If I had outboards I would have definitely not winterized before now. Maybe next boat.

JR2's Dad here...... I put my boat under the covers with all new filters, oil and grease about 2 weeks ago. I hate doing that as it is giving in to winter. No choice if one lives in Alaska.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

With fuel prices going up like they are right now, it makes it a little easier to put her away for the next six or seven months!

I think I'll wait a bit longer. The silvers are late again and I saw a couple last week that still looked pretty good......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I hit hidden lake last weekend and plan on hittin it again one more time. The bows are feeding good right now. Maybe after that trip the Phantom will get put away as well... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

The boat will be my man cave this winter. I put a high ridge pole down the center so I can climb all over the boat . From cockpit to tarp is close to 10 feet. Projects include raising the radar dome, installing a Wallace DT 30 furnace, dual individual wiper switches, LED lights all around, memory foam mattress up in the V birth, installing new batteries, and converting the cabinets to pull out drawers .Hopefully these projects and a few more will keep me busy and happy most of the winter.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Its nice being able to use mine all year
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its nice being able to use mine all year
    I prefer a time of suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    The boat will be my man cave this winter. I put a high ridge pole down the center so I can climb all over the boat . From cockpit to tarp is close to 10 feet. Projects include raising the radar dome, installing a Wallace DT 30 furnace, dual individual wiper switches, LED lights all around, memory foam mattress up in the V birth, installing new batteries, and converting the cabinets to pull out drawers .Hopefully these projects and a few more will keep me busy and happy most of the winter.
    Jay,
    who are you getting the memory foam from? in town?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Jay,

Just a heads up about some (Temperpedic) memory foam. It gets extremely hard when it gets cold. I'm not sure about other brands, but I think I could kill someone with the pillows in my boat when they are cold. They also take a long time to warm up, which makes for miserable sleeping. Again, I am not familiar with the other brands, but I would definitely research first if you plan on using in colder weather. Good luck!

The plan is to buy 2 twin memory foam mattresses, this on suggestions Willie at busters upholstery. I don't want to lose too much headroom up in the the v-birth so I'll be looking for 6 inch memory foam mattress. Most memory foam mattresses only have a couple inches of memory foam on the top with some form of supporting foam material underneath. After I install the Wallace furnace I should be getting some warm air up in the v-birth, at least that's the plan. I'll ask Willie about the cold memory foam issue see if he knows anything.After shopping around a bit I can see now that's gonna be more economical to buy 2 twin mattresses. Willie will cut them down to fit the birth then cover with Sunbrella material; so when done there will be 2 sections off mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Jay,
    who are you getting the memory foam from? in town?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

The plan is to buy 2 twin memory foam mattresses, this on suggestions Willie at busters upholstery. I don't want to lose too much headroom up in the the v-birth so I'll be looking for 6 inch memory foam mattress. Most memory foam mattresses only have a couple inches of memory foam on the top with some form of supporting foam material underneath. After I install the Wallace furnace I should be getting some warm air up in the v-birth, at least that's the plan. I'll ask Willie about the cold memory foam issue see if he knows anything.After shopping around a bit I can see now that's gonna be more economical to buy 2 twin mattresses. Willie will cut them down to fit the birth then cover with Sunbrella material; so when done there will be 2 sections off mattress.
    Thanks Jay, you know you can cut any of that foam with a electric carving knife, goes through it like a hot knife through buttah!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Saddest day of the year...

Boats home, washed, oil, filter, and lower unit gear oil changed, water system flushed. Going to safe the interior clean up and reorganization for cabin fever time this winter. Had a good run this summer. 2650 miles. Already looking forward to next April.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Cleaned the XS out and put the cover on today. Only thing that has me in a good mood is I'm leaving for Kodiak on Friday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast