Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Set-ups: What works for you

Default King Set-ups: What works for you

This is in no way an add on to the Mutt thread, I don't want it to regress into a pissing match either. I wondering what folks 'Go To' setups for kings throughout the state. I will start.

We catch kings consistently throughout the year, May/June spawners and July-April feeders. This past summer on my boat we landed roughly 70 legal king salmon. Fishing with others probably 40 more or so along with literally a 100 shakers 20-27.9 inches (all safely released in the water). So we do get a few though I am by no means a pro. This year:

#1 was a black/brown/purple Silver Horde hooch with a purple hot spot UV flasher. Feeders loved this rig. Hooch set up 20 inches behind the flasher, strip bait, and trolled @2 mph.

#2 was a Green King Katcher Fly behind a green hot spot UV flasher with a strip of bait. Trolled 1 MPH. Spawner killer (needlefish imitation)

#3 was a store bought herring roller in yellow behind the Luhr Jensen yellow UV flasher with the three eyes. Awesome for colored water near Wrangell. Trolled 2 MPH. Red herring early, green later.

#4 was a yellow Coyote spoon run naked

Now the reason I ask is there doesn't seem to be a secret lure. A local charter legend only uses threaded herring behind yelllow flashers. I fished with him one day and we got 9 spawners in 2 hours. I went there the next day and got our 6 on my herring roller. Another fella who prides himself on catching kings 12 months per year only uses King Katchers. He got 2 lunkers yesterday.

So is there something I need to add to the arsenal? Is there more to confidence in a specific set up that makes you run it longer hence more fish? I hate watching kings on the sonar come up and look at the gear and go away.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I have had the best success with a threaded whole herring (green label) behind an 11" protroll flasher @ 2-2.5 mph
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

How do you guys rig your threaded whole herring?

Great question elk, I wondered the same thing. Frank always has his herring for the day pre threaded soaking in brine n brite so I never get to see him do it. He uses a treble hook, nose clip (little stainless thing), a leader and a bead chain.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

My "go to" setup is an 11" chartreuse/glo ProTroll flasher with about a 4' leader and threaded green label herring. Like Gooch said, I thread my herring soaked in my "special sauce" (ProCure "Brine 'n Bite" with my own garlic granules added) with a treble hook inserted about 2/3 back in the body.

But the other day I was pulling that rig along with a ProTroll green/glo flasher with a "glo" Tsunami squid squirted with ProCure "chartruese UV bite enhancer" and the herring caught a 15 lb. king and the Tsunami a 21 lb. king about 10 minutes after the herring.

I've got some other interesting flashers ordered from Cabela's right now and can't wait to try them out. One is their purple/plaid one. I'll certainly post my findings.

And I agree with you 100% Gooch---I do NOT believe there is a "secret" lure that will catch fish when others won't. And PLEASE no one start a pissing match about this. I am agreeing with the OP and just stating my opinion.

One commonality that I seem to keep running into is the use of "glo" or "UV enhancer" baits and/or flashers and/or "special sauces". Just curious if anyone else has found the same thing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Wow........ Today, tomorrow or yesterday. It varies a lot through the season and from year to year.

Early this year trolled purple tray cutplug 18" behind a 12" Silver Horde plain silver flasher with some extra bend in it. They really wanted it moving, so you needed a fairly hard cure on the herring.

Next up was cop car coyote, then the black and silver Apex. August until recently it was purely mooched blue tray cut plug, and lately an Ace Hi behind a size 0 Dodger in color #940.

Probably different if I went out tomorrow because I haven't been out in a week.

Didn't get out much this year - first big trip they liked a fishy colored hoochie about 36" back from a 11" UV/Prism hot spot. Prism worked well that sunny day. They also liked the large size kingfisher spoon (Irish cream, I think) about 6' behind the same flasher type. Feed was relatively small - candlefish and small herring. Got two one day and ten the next. Hatch was matched, more or less.

A couple weeks later, got a limit of six on 7" tomics: three on a white belly with scale back, three on a 158: mother of pearl back on white. All fish had giant herring inside. The 158 got cracked and waterlogged by a wayward bonker and is now relegated to the toybox. That is tragic indeed, to lose a tomic that catches fish...

I was towing the tomics with the current and against a stiff breeze, about as fast as the 15hp kicker could push us.

What are the metal nose clips that people use?

These here elk. First site I found, they are cheaper in Craig at the store though so I assume you could find them cheaper:

http://www.mackslure.com/item.php?p_ref=150
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Pretty much you'll always find me with an 11" flasher. I've been using hot spots, but am going to start using Abe-AL a bit more this spring.

32" leader, Hoochie, and 4/0 Gamakatsu hooks. I also use a 7/0 commercial rig too.

I did have an issue this year with shallow water kings. After a few boats would get over them, they'd turn off to all but threaded herring. I used Cliffhangers rig he posted with the petite fasteners. Took me a few hours of playing around, and then I was slamming kings on the set up all summer long. Troll fast and shallow with them. Packing them in salt really helped too, as it took the "bulk" (moisture) out, as some greens were too bulky for the flasher to really spin. I also used the VMC 6x strong trebles. Wicked hooks. Look forward to playing around more with the herring next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Packing them in salt really helped too, as it took the "bulk" (moisture) out, as some greens were too bulky for the flasher to really spin.
    That's a real useful insight, and thanks. I seldom get as small as greens, mostly using blues in summer and purples in spring, and sometimes they're a challenge. Gonna give it a shot.

takes about 3 days packed in rock salt to get em where I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    takes about 3 days packed in rock salt to get em where I like them.
    Good info, and thanks!

a few of the commercial guys are running trailer hooks off the treble hook too. After I had a few lightly hooked kings pull off, I put some trailers on, and I caught a few on the trailer. I'll post a pic of the set up when I get a chance.

Cool!

Sorta related, but along those lines we had some interesting experiences with halibut the last couple of weeks. They were so lockjawed on every standard rig we tried, and you would swear none were on hand until we tried mooching close to bottom for kings. Whack, a lot bigger halibut than we wanted to deal with on light rods with a fast drift.

Switched back to our halibut jig rods and rigged a single large J hook on a stiff leader above a 1# weight and skittered that along bottom. Just poked the point sideways through the gill plate on blue tray herring, then through the fish as far back as it would reach. Short strikes and lots of them. Added an assist hook where the hook shank appeared between the gill plates and where the J dove back into the herring, then pushed the point of the assist into the herring a little to keep it from tangling as the rig sank to the bottom.

Boom! Halibut fishing turned hot, but even with the assist hook, they were barely hooked in the lips.

Only reason any of that applies is that the assists would be an easy way for you to add a trailer hook when needed.

Here's a link to a column I did for Alaska Dispatch last year that has photos of how to thread herring. It's a slideshow...

On the nose clips, Redden, formally K. Gear Shed always has them, along with the crimpers and long needles I use to make the treble thread rigs. Complete newby here, so just copying a guide buddy's direction, still playing with leader length, brines, flashers and how I hold my mouth as I troll 1.3 and 1.7 knots per hour. Seems my favorite speed is 1.6057 knots, but it changes up and down depending on how long of a leader I am using and if my e-chip has already fallen out of my flasher or not.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Gooch - SWR. Go online and read about it.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Best for me this summer was big spoons, usually behind a small flasher or dodger but mostly naked. Kinda fun to make up your own spoons in the winter to have them work in the summer. Store bought "Funky Chicken" is still a killer. 7" pearl Tomic naked and fast. I also nose clipped a few purple label herring (tough to do) and everything hit it but not always stayed hooked. I just don't have the confidence that it is running right. I tried threading them and it works, but I knock off way to many scales. Maybe not that big a deal, but when the herring are fresh caught, they look so much better with all their scales. Maybe the rock salt will help.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    On the nose clips, Redden, formally K. Gear Shed always has them, along with the crimpers and long needles I use to make the treble thread rigs. Complete newby here, so just copying a guide buddy's direction, still playing with leader length, brines, flashers and how I hold my mouth as I troll 1.3 and 1.7 knots per hour. Seems my favorite speed is 1.6057 knots, but it changes up and down depending on how long of a leader I am using and if my e-chip has already fallen out of my flasher or not.
    Oh, COME ON!!!! If you're trolling at 1.6057 you are WAAAAY off the mark. Shoot for 1.72369 and you'll find fish flocking to your bait.

And for the way you hold your mouth I utilize the "George Costanza" method. Any Seinfeld fans will know what I mean here. Just do the opposite of what you'd normally do and THAT will be the way to catch fish. It works! Believe me.

Anyway....lol......the Gear Shed does indeed sell the "threading needles" as you say, but they are regular steel and get rusted pretty badly rather quickly if you don't keep immaculate care of them. But Pro-Troll sells stainless threading needles that don't rust. I'm not sure where you can buy them on a retail basis, but if you want to purchase them you might contact Pro-Troll and ask them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast