Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anchor drum winches

Default anchor drum winches

Anybody have recommendations on a electric drum winch that would hold 600' of 5/8" line and 40' 5/16" chain. I don't have hydraulics on my boat but I suppose I could install it if I thought I needed to go that route. Thanks

I have looked at the Stressfree NG anchor electric drum winches out of Australia i n the past, and there is a North American dealer who has them out of British Columbia. It will be on my next boat (unless I get a diesel rig and go hydraulic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmNrBRVWGM

Sobie2

Your going to need a good sized spool/reel to hold all that rope & chain ?? How big a boat is this going on. I'd go hydraulic, lots more power and you can plumb in a pot hauler also.
    That electric set up looks like it has a few small electrical parts i wouldn't want exposed to saltwater and they really never show it hauling in the anchor from the beginning/break out only when its almost all the way in.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My boat is a 36' Uniflite. I just get tired of pulling it with a windlass and having to thread the rope into the locker everytime or leaving it on deck, so I was thinking of a drum winch to neaten things up.

A couple of the charter boats in Seward have electric drum winches that have a white fibreglass cover (above deck installation). They looked to me to be hydraulic but I was told they're electric. They're not pretty but look like they'd stand up to abuse and since we fish halibut in 300' of water, they've got plenty of rode capacity. I'm not sure who made them but if you're down in Seward on B or C floats you'll see a couple. Swelltime is one on C that has one I believe. The Gusto next to me has one too but she's pulled for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    A couple of the charter boats in Seward have electric drum winches that have a white fibreglass cover (above deck installation). They looked to me to be hydraulic but I was told they're electric. They're not pretty but look like they'd stand up to abuse and since we fish halibut in 300' of water, they've got plenty of rode capacity. I'm not sure who made them but if you're down in Seward on B or C floats you'll see a couple. Swelltime is one on C that has one I believe. The Gusto next to me has one too but she's pulled for the year.
    I suspect you are talking about these: http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/#

Nice units, but they won't hold 600' of 5/8.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It says they hold 300 of 5/8 nylon and 18 of chain. If capacity is an issue, I think some are now using a spectra rode instead of nylon. My impression was this is an expensive option though. I think Crackerjack (AKCAPT) in Seward uses this, maybe he will chime on on cost.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    My boat is a 36' Uniflite. I just get tired of pulling it with a windlass and having to thread the rope into the locker everytime or leaving it on deck, so I was thinking of a drum winch to neaten things up.
    Another option is a windless that will drop it directly into your locker, like the Lewmar Horizontal windless:

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8330&lid=25787

I think this is along the lines of what I have, and it really works quite will, using controls at the helm in most cases. The key to these working correctly is not over stuffing the locker so that it has proper space to drop the rode.

I don't have 600' of rode, but run 350' with 50' of chain, and have never had a problem.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

I don't think they're a $400 unit. They look beefier and think the cover wraps over the top some. They must be free fall too for the charter guys to be using them in deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I don't think they're a $400 unit. They look beefier and think the cover wraps over the top some. They must be free fall too for the charter guys to be using them in deep water.
    They are $2000 plus. I think something is up with the pricing on their website. Solid units.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Another option is a windless that will drop it directly into your locker, like the Lewmar Horizontal windless:

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8330&lid=25787

I think this is along the lines of what I have, and it really works quite will, using controls at the helm in most cases. The key to these working correctly is not over stuffing the locker so that it has proper space to drop the rode.

I don't have 600' of rode, but run 350' with 50' of chain, and have never had a problem.
    My locker is overstuffed and it is a giant PITA... someone has to go up and push the chain off to the side when pulling the anchor.. I want a drum style unit, but for $2000 I will suffer with the chain pushing... maybe on the next boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

The units commonly seen are EzAnchors, I've been using one for the last 5 years or so and they are the cat's meow. The one I use will hold nearly 600' of 3/8 double braid which is plenty strong engine along with 30-40 of chain for my 30' boat. The key is proper installation that will allow the rope to spool up evenly and when recessed into the bow the profile is only about 7" high. I typically anchor in over 250' of water easily. Since they do power down, it takes getting use to when anchoring over your favor hole but once you get use to just pushing a switch from the helm to lower and retrieve the anchor you'll never go back to anything else. Additionally, when the seas are rough you don't have to worry about falling off the bow dealing with the anchor. I had a lewmar and locker, originally and it was quite frankly an exercise in frustration. The system is basically a worm gear winch with a stainless spool drum. We will be building similar units here in AK shortly and will be able to build custom size spools if the needed.

Here's an example of how they can be installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went through this during the summer and ended up with a smaller size EZ Anchor puller on a 26' Glacier Craft because I did not want a huge spool in the bow and the smaller size was available for a very reasonable price although it was used and abused. I ended up rebuilding the whole thing and it was not bad. I now know what the inside of these things look like and how they work. I now have 600' of Amsteel Blue 3/8" with 85' of chain. The whole thing fits well within the spool and the breaking strength of the 3/8" line is about 15,000 lbs. I rarely have to go to the front now as it spools in just fine. Under 150' is almost 90% without manual manipulation and over 400' is done with manually guiding until it is about 150' out. Happy to help anyone if they need more detail but I just love mine. I have had all types and looked into the Stress-Free unit too. The Stress FRee unit has free-spool but pricing is crazy. They offered me a 20% discount but the price was still about $3800. Too rich for me...

I'm buying a new 28 offshore this spring and sure would like to learn a little more about this system (how folks are mounting it and wiring it). I've been in contact with the company and have the literature they offer but photos would be helpful and any lessons learned. The EZ 1200 is 2599. plus shipping so they aint cheap!

Stop by AK Frontier Fab and I'll give you the do's and don'ts and the best way to install. I've been using one for over 6 years and wouldn't ever use anything else.

I'm off on Monday and will swing by, thanks for the offer!

I''ve got 300-400ft of 1/2" nylon rope available for free if someone want's it. Ive junked the windless and use 3/8" double braid with an electric drum anchor system now and if anyone want's the triple brad just pm me. Otherwise it's going in the dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I''ve got 300-400ft of 1/2" nylon rope available for free if someone want's it. Ive junked the windless and use 3/8" double braid with an electric drum anchor system now and if anyone want's the triple brad just pm me. Otherwise it's going in the dumpster.
    Mel
    sent ya pm a while ago, i'll take that old rope off your hands.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Just saw an ad on THT for an EZ Anchor windlass in case anyone is looking

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...r-winlass.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast