Thread: Another Successful Meat Haul

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default Another Successful Meat Haul

Yesterday for the 3rd year in a row I picked up my meat and antlers from Mike's Alaska Meat Express http://www.alaskameatexpress.com/ Words are hard to describe the great service that Mike has provided me and others over the past 3 years that he has run his meat haul from AK to the lower 48. One of the most difficult things for those of us who are lucky enough to hunt in AK and collect a trophy of a lifetime is getting it and the meat back home to enjoy. Mike's service is simply the best. I know personally how hard he works to make this all work out for everyone and there's no doubt in my mind that few if any could pull this off successfully year after year. I just hope he's back next time I need him. Therefore on behalf of all the successful hunters that used his great service over the years I want to simply say THANKS MIKE and most of all thanks for your friendhsip!
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-03-2012 at 12:17.

I've visited with him a couple of times, great guy, I'm hoping to use him next Sept to get my moose back to Oregon.

My first thoughts were "what an excellent idea," and "great price!" Then I saw the pictures, and a couple questions came up. The meat is still in game bags; how long from field to fridge for you? Are they kept frozen in his truck, or chilled? Being stacked on pallets as in one of the pictures, they are not getting air circulation between the quarters, which is vital to proper aging.

Up front it looks like Mike is a standup guy with an excellent service; if I were a hunter using his service I'd have those questions for him.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    My first thoughts were "what an excellent idea," and "great price!" Then I saw the pictures, and a couple questions came up. The meat is still in game bags; how long from field to fridge for you? Are they kept frozen in his truck, or chilled? Being stacked on pallets as in one of the pictures, they are not getting air circulation between the quarters, which is vital to proper aging.

Up front it looks like Mike is a standup guy with an excellent service; if I were a hunter using his service I'd have those questions for him.
    I believe the truck in question is a reefer & that the temp is kept at or below freezing. No problems with spoilage and probably a lot better choice than trusting an airline with your meat.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

As I mentioned, I've done this 3 years in a row without any problems whatsoever. As for myself, I have always butchered and wrapped my own meat in Anchorage and put it on the truck in waxed "fish" boxes. The trailer is kept at zero degrees. It has always arrived frozen exactly the way I put it on the truck. I do not disagree with the point about the proper aging of meat. I do my best to give it some air time in my meat bags before cutting and wrapping. Others may not have the luxury of cutting up their own meat so I cannot speak for those who have had to send it back for processing in the lower 48. It's the best I can do given the logistics and I have no complaints.

Eric

Had a relative use his service to transport a couple moose to Wisconsin two years ago. They were very pleased.
    BK