Thread: Using "Holographic sights" on a magnum rifle!

Default Using "Holographic sights" on a magnum rifle!

Bear with me here....

I just bought that .375 RUM and was going to leave it with open sights because I want to use the rifle primarily for back up shooting at close range. I've also been toying with the idea of using a Holographic style sight on the rifle that can be removed easily.

Do you think one of these will be able to withstand the recoil of a .375?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=729791

I know an EO Tech, Aimpoint, or ACOG would probably be more reliable as far as taking the abuse. But I was wondering if anyone has one of these, and if it would hold up? It's cheap enough that I would almost be willing to buy it to find out. But the price is why I don't think it would survive!

What do yall think?

- Clint

I thought about it but it just doesn't look as strong as the Eotech I just ordered from Midway.

Woody

I could always put it on one of my AR-15's....

- Clint

I don't know anything about the ATN but I have a Zeiss Z-point that I carry as a back up in case a scope gets whacked. It has handled way more recoil than I can.

SWFA has them for 300.00 ish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn Hunter View Post
    I don't know anything about the ATN but I have a Zeiss Z-point that I carry as a back up in case a scope gets whacked. It has handled way more recoil than I can.

SWFA has them for 300.00 ish

What would be the max usable range for that Z Point? The Dot sights I use in the Army are good for about 300M max.
    Also how does the "spring loaded" mount work, it doesn’t sound very good/reliable.

If your going to go for a reflex site like one of those go for an Aimpoint Relfex site - They dont run on batteries and glow in the dark...Very good design as well..

SMWWOODY,
    Please give us a report on your Eotech...I have the Bushnell and it's OK...considering EOTech....have looked at those with tritium but owners discouarge me as they aren't bright enough in daylight....Thanks

VernAK I've owned an EO Tech, it was the 552 night vision compatable model (IIRC) It sat on top of my AR-15 for a year and it ate me up that I had a $400 red dot that I never used. So I sold it! From my little experience and limited reading on the EO Tech, it's pretty durable. Can withstand some amazing impacts and still work. There are military in Iraq that have had them on a weapon that were nearly destroyed by an IED and the EO Tech still worked. I read about one guy who's EO Tech took an AK round through the glass and the half that still had glass in it still displayed the red dot...........

They eat batteries if you have the N battery model... that's about all I've heard/experienced!

- Clint

So Far it is Great!!! it is the 512 AA battery model. very easy to sight in. my son put about 40 stout 45-70 loads through it before he took a spring black bear with it this afternoon. The pic is in the 2007 hunting gallery in the hunting section of this forum. We have tried it out in bright sunlight and in dark enough conditions that I don't think you could have seen through any conventional scope. The brightness adjustments are great. you need them all for different conditions.

Thanks for the replies.....I'm going to try one on a 7600 35 Whelen.

Nice bear...

One of my hunting buddy's said that if I put an EO Tech on my rifle that I would be the only guy in Alaska with one......... LOL........ Guess you already beat me to it!

I bet I would be the only one with a .375 RUM with an EO Tech though!

- Clint

I've had teh Bushnell for quite a few years and used it on an 870 for geese ...back when we could use lead shot.....it was tremendous for long range shooting.....

But I want one on 7600 as we have had to kill three bears in last six years at our fishing camp.....always half dark etc.....and all of us are getting old with failing eyes let alone stumbling around looking for glasses.....trying the 7600 because all the guys are familiar with 870s and they function much the same....