Thread: More Sausage pics

Looks like you have a nice little operation going on there! Are you making your own spice mixes up or buying store bought ones? How long does it normally take you to smoke the summer sausages? I have been wanting to make some of my own but haven't done it yet.

Not to step on Toklat's thread, but I've been making the summer sausage kits from Cabelas for the last 5 years and they are fantastic. I usually put 25 to 30% of ground pork shoulder in with the meat. Mix it up, stuff it in casings, smoke for 6-8 hours in a cold smoke fashion (less than 120 Deg.) THen you can hot smoke, or bake it until core temp is around 155. Comes out great, very straightforward and simple to do. Don't oversmoke or it will overpower.

It's often tempting to get the spices and make your own mix, but monetarily it doesn't really pencil out, and now you have 8 big jars of spices going stale for a few years before you use them up. The sausagesource.com is a good one, Kits there with no msg available.

Catchit's system is very close to our's! I've been playing with my own spice recipes for a few years but started with kits. if you buy spice in bulk you can do game,beef,pork to use it up and have snacks all the time! Lot's of experimenting some failure but lot's of fun and brings family together!

Wow, nicely done. I like the set up.

Do the same as Catchit stated above. Unless your a commercial operation it is a waste to buy all the spices and stock for 20lb batches. We like Hi-Mountain seasonings kits for the pepperoni stix and spice stix. They also make some great jal. summer sausage kits.
    Can be purchased at 3 Bears, Sportsmans, or Ak butcher supply (although he is a bit spendire for same product).
    Nice thing is the kits come with all the stuff necessary like casings, spices, and curing salt in one package.
    Made 30 lbs. of stix from caribou last time home. Gonna make another bigger batch this time home before it gets too cold outside to get the 'ol smoker up to temp.
    This stuff is really easy to do if you have the right equipment.
    BK

Just got the fire going, smoke travels underground for about 15' then into house. 13lbs of sticks this batch. Will cold smoke 110 degrees for 2 hrs then bring heat up with propane over 5hrs to 165 internal temp. Got a real slick remote temp sender I can wear on my belt. More pics to follow!

Anyone found a good jalapeno cheese dog recipe yet?

What sausage stuffers have you guys found to work the best? I have been looking at them all and the vertical ones look the easiest to use but not sure which brand is the most reliable/longest lasting. Hate to buy one and have the gears strip out on it or something else simple like that.

Been using a LEM brand for a couple years, no issues.
    There really isn't that much stress on them , the gears that is, since its flowing freely out the tube.
    BK

We have an old cast iron Enterprise that is lagged into a piece of butcher block. Its a pain to clean but you have some leverage when doing sticks! Been experimenting with high temp cheese, Sun i'm going stuff and smoke blackbear summer sausage with high temp pepper jack.DSC01854.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Been using a LEM brand for a couple years, no issues.
    There really isn't that much stress on them , the gears that is, since its flowing freely out the tube.
    BK
    Those are the ones that I keep looking at, good to hear you have not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Toklat3 View Post
    We have an old cast iron Enterprise that is lagged into a piece of butcher block. Its a pain to clean but you have some leverage when doing sticks! Been experimenting with high temp cheese, Sun i'm going stuff and smoke blackbear summer sausage with high temp pepper jack.DSC01854.jpg
    That looks like a beast of a sausage stuffer! I was thinking about adding that high temp cheese and bacon to my burger this year. Figured it would make some darn good cheese burgers!

FYI, I tried to use velveeta chunks last year in some moose hot dogs I was stuffing. Looked good till I tried to cook them, the cheese turned to liquid and squirted out. Gonna have to try the hi-temp stuff this time home.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    FYI, I tried to use velveeta chunks last year in some moose hot dogs I was stuffing. Looked good till I tried to cook them, the cheese turned to liquid and squirted out. Gonna have to try the hi-temp stuff this time home.
    BK
    BK you will have to keep us posted on the outcome of your cheese experiment. I know it works in the summer sausage but that doesn't get cooked prior to eating.

High temp cheese is a must, a little more expensive but the end result is worth it! I wanted to go old school like our grandparents with the stuffer I guess I'm gettin old to?