Thread: Sure am Worried about Bears Rubbing Early !!!

Default Sure am Worried about Bears Rubbing Early !!!

Man I cannot recall in my 10 years in Alaska an April as warm as this one. I havent even put baits out yet but I am sure worried about the blacks rubbing real early this year. Theres no snow to speak of in the hills north of Fairbanks and with the 60+ degree blue bird sky days we've been having sure makes me wonder. If we are soo hot on these unseasonally sunny warm days of mid April, you know the bears are sure hot too! We'll see how this year plays out I guess, I will be getting some baits out this coming week.

Out in the Aleutians it's still pretty cold and has snowed all week. That's besides the point, just me complaining. Funny how last month was much colder than normal and now April is a scorcher on the mainland.

A while back there was a post about bears rubbing out and I reported that one warm spring a few years ago we were seeing a lot of rubbed brown bears on Kodiak. Forum member BRWNBR slapped me around and said temperature had nothing to do with rubbing. I still think I'd be worried about rubbing with these hot temps.

Default Speaking of rubbing Cub

Just rub that magic "fish hook" scar of yours and maybe the weather will go back to normal. :-)

Seems if I remember right the couple of bad fire seasons we had recently started off like this, maybe not as warm but pretty close and just as dry. I just went and checked a site for placing a bait today along a river and things are very dry. Gives me a bad feeling.

Boy, I wish we had your problem, Cub. A friend and I went to look for bears this weekend and it did not get above freezing all day long on Friday. Thursday evening the ponds were water, all day Friday they were ice. No action yet, but perhaps next weekend.

Talking really?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Out in the Aleutians it's still pretty cold and has snowed all week. That's besides the point, just me complaining. Funny how last month was much colder than normal and now April is a scorcher on the mainland.

A while back there was a post about bears rubbing out and I reported that one warm spring a few years ago we were seeing a lot of rubbed brown bears on Kodiak. Forum member BRWNBR slapped me around and said temperature had nothing to do with rubbing. I still think I'd be worried about rubbing with these hot temps.
    You stated that BRWNBR slapped you around a little over your temperature theory...could it have been that you just needed slapped around a little? I don't know, just wondering. Don't you think it could be global warming doing all this. I watched a Yellowstone doc on griz/ blk bear predatation and I swore they were going to blame it on global warming...couldn't believe it when they didn't. Heck, think of the endless excuses we can come up with and blame gw.

Yeah I noticed that Brian, South Central and SE Alaska arent seeing the warm temps we are here in the interior. If I didn't know better I'd say its May outside instead of April. Yet last year we had a super late spring, heck I thought the bears would never come out,the weather from year to year is sure weird.

Default I wouldn't...

give the rub thing a nanosecond's worry, Roland.
    As I stated before, it was almost July last year when I took a perfect, thick-hided blackie. It was so warm and swarming with bugs. He was much thicker than the bear I took a month before.
    Some will come out of the den rubbed, others will be perfect in July.
    I wouldn't expect much action up north before about June 10th-maybe a week sooner given your warm weather. Around Father's Day is the magic time.

Hey next month might be record cold/wet there. Who knows?
    Just my .02.

We got all of your rain down here in ID, sure made the house build a huge, wet pain. I'm glad its finally drying/warming up.

Frank