Thread: Denali HYW Grizz.

Default Denali HYW Grizz.

Thinking of making a 2-3 day trip hunting for grizz. Anyone have current road conditions? What about snow levels? Are the bears still out or have they bedded down for the winter? Thanks.

The road is closed on a creek somewhere over by cantwell - a bridge washed out. As of Sunday there was no snow on the road - zero. We hunted Ptarms - got 17 to the pan. Dogs and we loved it. I had one black fox with a white tipped tail in my scope, but hesitated and he took off - no shot. Had another gray fox in my shotgun sights, but he was too far for the 12ga. Jumped another red fox at about 20 yards that I never saw, but my uncle saw him. Saw two spike fork bull moose, one cow, and one calf. Saw lots of caribou where the subsistence hunters could not shoot them. Saw ducks, but didn't try to stalk them.

Had a great weekend. I am sure that the bears are not asleep anywhere within hiking distance of the road. Maybe up way high in the mountain tops with snow...but the bulls should be just reaching their breeding grounds - and I imagine that there will be some Griz nearby.

The highway is now open, and they just closed it Monday and Tuesday for a culvert replacement. I think this work is done. There is a light snow falling now, but nothing is sticking. DOT announced they are keeping the highway open until October 15th this year, which is great to gain the extra two weeks for us. As of 3 days ago, there were bear tracks everywhere on the trails, and it does not appear, at least in our area, that bears have started moving to denning grounds. Hope you guys can get a few! Seen 7 different tracks in less than a mile of trail near the lodge.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

All good news. I'll be heading up that way tomorrow AM. Thanks.

Robert

Many grizzly bears seem to fight hibernation. I've seen them sitting in 3 feet of snow in Nov. stripping leaves off of the bushes. So unless it gets real cold and plenty of snow, there should be quite a few still out and about.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    The highway is now open, and they just closed it Monday and Tuesday for a culvert replacement. I think this work is done. There is a light snow falling now, but nothing is sticking. DOT announced they are keeping the highway open until October 15th this year, which is great to gain the extra two weeks for us. As of 3 days ago, there were bear tracks everywhere on the trails, and it does not appear, at least in our area, that bears have started moving to denning grounds. Hope you guys can get a few! Seen 7 different tracks in less than a mile of trail near the lodge.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Claude that is awesome news about the highway. If you can keep us posted as to the conditions after the 15th that would be great!