Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rush is on....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default The Rush is on....

Need information on moving to Alaska...

Is it me? or does this request see to occur more around dividend time each year? does the lure of that free paycheck still hold the tide?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default The Rush is on....

Especially when the cold months are just coming on.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

$850 won't buy a set of good studded tires for my pickup truck! I have to think that most folks are smart enough to understand that it isn't much money at all in the grand scheme of things. Sure it is a "stimulus" for local businesses and certainly helps people buy heating oil or other necessities... Makes a decent down payment on a sled or other toy too. One thing I noticed this year is more people seem to be buying stuff that they need rather than toys. Transmission, snow tires, house repairs, are just a few of the things myself and some friends have on our perspective plates. A couple more are paying medical bills. One is headed to the tropics for a week.

I suppose there are a few who come for the dividend. A family of five is $850 X 5 or $4,250 which does sound a little better.
    Add to that the lack of state income tax and it sounds even better.
    Another deciding factor is that our economy seems to be holding up a little bit better than the lesser 48 states.
    on top of the allure of "One Mans Wilderness" and all the reality shows and it just sounds too good to be true for some people I suppose.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Don't forget that Alaska is considered a welfare friendly state.

I think it's more the reality tv shows.

Anyone who thinks an extra ~$1000 a year is living large has no clue as to the cost of living in AK.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Need information on moving to Alaska...

Is it me? or does this request see to occur more around dividend time each year? does the lure of that free paycheck still hold the tide?
    I don't think it has a thing to do with the dividends.
    Has a little to do with the shows.
    As much as I hate to say it, IMO over 90% of these "need information on moving to AK" threads are from folks that have no clue. While many seem genuine, when you really read closely the are asking things that just aren't the 'norm', even in Alaska.
    For example:
    I want to live off the land hunt/fish.--Uh, hello, we have hunting seasons and regulations just like every other state.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    I don't think it has a thing to do with the dividends.
    Has a little to do with the shows.
    As much as I hate to say it, IMO over 90% of these "need information on moving to AK" threads are from folks that have no clue. While many seem genuine, when you really read closely the are asking things that just aren't the 'norm', even in Alaska.
    For example:
    I want to live off the land hunt/fish.--Uh, hello, we have hunting seasons and regulations just like every other state.
    I pretty much agree with all of this,....especially the "Wanna Live off the Land" idea,...just seems so clueless, yet it seems to be part of all the "Seekers Questions"

I think it may have more to do with the timing of the Dividend release,....
    as in "Fall Equinox,"....when the winds start to blow,...
    and it's time to look around and double check, "I do have my act together for this winter,..... right...?"

and there are some who realize they don't have it together,...So, start to think, "I hear they get paid to live there,.... in Alaska"

then surfing around on the internet, up comes the opportunity, for "Free Planning and Advice from real Alaskans,"......Irresistable

I wonder what percentage of that type, ever make it up for a summer, much less come up and settle in,...??
    I'm having a harder time chiming in on those deals, tho it is a great idea,
    if they were really seriously asking for help and coming up
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I travel to the Lesser 48 a couple times of year for work. I can't blame them for wanting something better. A change of scenery. Not having to see a million people day in and day out.

This huge frozen swamp still calls to people. And when they see the easy living Todd Hoffman has as he walks around his gold claims while his dad Jack Hoffman (say that really fast) looks for the Glory Hole they must think "I can do that" and head up. Getting rich quick is 'every' man's dream. Too bad folks are so bad at math/money and don't understand that the same people getting wealthy off todays gold rush are the same ones that got rich of the '49ers - the guy selling the equipment to the miners.

I dont think that most people move here for the dividends - but cant speak for all. For me, I fell in love with the fact that there is so much amazing scenery and excellent outdoors opportunities. When I think back of fishing in WA it just doesnt compare. Plus with the cost of living the PFD doesnt always make a huge impact on my overall earning for the year...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Don't forget that Alaska is considered a welfare friendly state.
    Bingo! Why work, move to Alaska, live high on the hog with what our Welfare/Soc Sec/ etc pays, and don't forget the steaks you can get with food stamps.! AND once a year you get a bonus in the PFD.

There are many worse places to carve out a bare bones living than tax-free boroughs of AK. It amazes me how many people in the lower 48 have the properties that they own outright stolen by ever climbing home values and increasing taxes! When I get super old I plan to sell everything taxable and move to a tax free area then spend Dec-Feb chasing redfish, grouper and speck trout down south while staying in an off season condo. Might even buy into one of them deer lease things they are always talking about on the outdoors channel while I am there!

Don't believe its the wild spaces as most go to Los Anchorage and burbs. Figure 5X dividen checks,low income housing,food stamps,welfare checks and churches still sending food for the masses to convert them and you can get by.Add a few cash paydays each week for booze and smokes your good to go. If you pretend to run off the old man you can get wic plus don't forget the free road kill
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You can also hide the old man and hook up with big brothers/sisters for sports equipment and fast food for the kiddies.
    Maybe we are the dumb lasy ones for not working harder to get the state and country right.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I hope we have another 'brutal' winter like we did last year. After the summer we've had the greenhorns will start to drop out real quick.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

The devil mite even make one think of good fridays past.

I moved here because the AF told me to come here. I have always dreamed of coming to AK, and it only took me 14 years to get here. I have lived in MT, and several other states, but AK has always been where I wanted to be (or so I thought). My wife is getting her MS degree at UAA, and I honestly think people do come here for the PFD. I honestly could care less if I got it or not. My wife got a good laugh from many of her classmates that complained how low the PFD was and it was just not fair. We can't get the PFD until next year, and then I am just going to turn around and give it to UAA for my wife's last spring semester of grad school. Going around Anchorage the last two weeks, I think many people do depend on the PFD.

Default Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Don't believe its the wild spaces as most go to Los Anchorage and burbs. Figure 5X dividen checks,low income housing,food stamps,welfare checks and churches still sending food for the masses to convert them and you can get by.Add a few cash paydays each week for booze and smokes your good to go. If you pretend to run off the old man you can get wic plus don't forget the free road kill
    Funny, but true. Let's add free breakfast and school lunch for the kids, courtesy of the ASD, Denali KidCare courtesy of AK HSS and a medical marijuana card courtesy of the AK HSS and life is good. Of course, since the family is WIC, they qualify for the $1.00 monthly lifeline cell phone service. Crap, now I lost all motivation to go to work on Monday. I guess someone has to pay for all of those handouts. Here is th full list.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    Food Stamps
    Medicaid
    Federal Public Housing Assistance
    Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
    Alaska Temporary Assistance Program
    Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
    Adult Public Assistance (which includes aid to the aged, blind and disabled)
    BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) General Assistance
    Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
    Head Start (meeting qualifying income standards)
    National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch program
    Denali KidCare
    WIC Program (Women, Infants and Children Care Program)
    Alaska State Housing Corporation Programs -
    Public Housing
    Interest Rate Reduction for Low Income Borrowers
    Home Investment Partnership
    Low Incumbent Housing Tax Credit Program
    State of Alaska Heating Assistance Program
    Veterans Administration Disability Pension
    Senior Citizen Housing Development Fund
    State of Alaska Senior Benefits Program
    Childcare Assistance Program, Pass I, II and III

I wouldn't consider the VA Disability a hand out, My "handout" comes from the fake shoulder joint on one side and the multiple screws on the other, which has the funny effect of causing pain when ever the weather changes.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I'd have to agree with Alaskamutt. "Veterans Administration Disability Pension" is not a "handout". Also alot of the programs you listed are federally funded, so they nothing to do with the state. No arguing though; some are almost straight up handouts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast