Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, windshield fogging up

Default Help, windshield fogging up

I have a 18' Weldcraft with a soft top on it. I anticipate Duck Hunting until late October but have noticed a large flaw in my new boat. The inside of the windshield fogs up after about 10 min of running in 35 F weather. I have tried to vent the problem away but due to the windshield being at a reverse angle, it dosn't get much of the air flow.
    I know a heater is the best soulution but I can't swing it right now. I was looking to see if anyone has had any luck sprays or chemicals to keep the fog away.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    I have a 18' Weldcraft with a soft top on it. I anticipate Duck Hunting until late October but have noticed a large flaw in my new boat. The inside of the windshield fogs up after about 10 min of running in 35 F weather. I have tried to vent the problem away but due to the windshield being at a reverse angle, it dosn't get much of the air flow.
    I know a heater is the best soulution but I can't swing it right now. I was looking to see if anyone has had any luck sprays or chemicals to keep the fog away.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Johnson's Baby shampoo, just a drop on a rag and wipe it onto the fogged window and let it dry. Used this trick a few weeks ago on our Koyukuk run and it worked better than any other anti fog anything I have tried.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Sounds like I might have to get some baby shampoo......

I have tried a couple anti-fog wipes - they help a little, but not much. Was thinking of getting a fan (not a heater) and trying to mount that somewhere on the drivers side.

Anyone got any models/manufactures that they have had good success with? I don't have much room so small is a consideration for me too. I am in a 18' searunner with a soft top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Sounds like I might have to get some baby shampoo......

I have tried a couple anti-fog wipes - they help a little, but not much. Was thinking of getting a fan (not a heater) and trying to mount that somewhere on the drivers side.

Anyone got any models/manufactures that they have had good success with? I don't have much room so small is a consideration for me too. I am in a 18' searunner with a soft top.
    I tried one of those small defoggers, well it works for maybe a softball size area in front of it. Baby shampoo reapplied daily has been the best solution I have found.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

I found this website - but it all looks like cheap 12 volt dc accessories - not sure how they would hold up in a boat. http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...ters-c-94.html

Any liquid dishsoap will work...joy, dawn, etc. You'll want to stick with the simple ones and avoid lotion-like additives.

You have more "stuff" on your dash than I do - didn't know that was possible! LOL!!

Ya some of those look good but it seems like they might only make a softball size hole too.
    I'll try some Dawn (that's what I have) this weekend. It's exactally the kind of advice I was looking for. So do you dilute it or just smear it on full strength?

My son told me to put some Dawn on it when I first picked up my boat this summer. Of course I had to buy some RainX anti-fog indoor wipes and exterior window cleaner spray.......

Maybe I should listen to the whippersnapper more often - could have saved me 15$!

Ivory soap works, too. Drag a corner of the bar down the window and polish the glass with the soap residue and a soft rag.

I always carried a squeegy on the dash of my outboard Wooldridge to wipe the moisture off for those "need to see" moments.

This thread gentleman is why I love this forum. Thanks for the info, maybe i'll save $ on paper towel.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Another vote for the Dawn applied daily and wiped with a dry cloth.
    A squeegie is also a great tool to have on hand, a small 6" one. A quick swipe and the window is clean. Saves a ton of paper towels or wet rags laying around the boat.
    BK

Yes Dawn works good. I was told this trick by an old salt in Ketchikan many years ago
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Been doing the dish soap trick forever, works great just don't use too much.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Default Help, windshield fogging up

Go to local auto part store get the de icing windshield fluid. Buy a gallon. Then go pick up an spray bottle of any type.
    Then spray on windshield as needed..
    Then you can thank me for the rest of the trip.
    It works great we us it all the time on the slope when hauling fuel across the tundra and have passed it on to a number of people thru out the years.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

This place is amazing. We have been trying to figure out this same thing even picked up a couple suction cup fans which helped a little... I will be sure to try these tips. Really hoping to head out on the sound for some deer in a couple weeks.

And on his front deck too!

;-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You have more "stuff" on your dash than I do - didn't know that was possible! LOL!!

I have to small articulating 12 volt fans, one for each window plugged into a cigarette lighter plug in my control panel. Fans mounted up high blowing down. Not only do they prevent fogging, they move the air well especially on those warmer days, not that we have that many. Think I bought them at Schucks which is now O Reilly's You can mount them, use clips or suction cups which they came with both. I mounted mine and ran the lines along seams keeping them in place with stick on clips with little zip ties picked up at WalMart hardware section.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another 12 volt dc fan option:http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50676

This model comes with a clothes line type clip that I attach to a hand rail on the dash. It also uses the cigarette-lighter-style plug so I can store the fan when I don't need it.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Go to local auto part store get the de icing windshield fluid. Buy a gallon. Then go pick up an spray bottle of any type.
    Then spray on windshield as needed..
    Then you can thank me for the rest of the trip.
    It works great we us it all the time on the slope when hauling fuel across the tundra and have passed it on to a number of people thru out the years.
    So you spray it on the inside of your windshield ? Do you wipe off the excess or do you just let it drip and run over the dash ??? or is it just for the outside ?? I'm Polish so i'm confused !!!

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast