Thread: THE OPTIMUM BULLETS FOR CARTRIDGES USED - Price's Corner

Default THE OPTIMUM BULLETS FOR CARTRIDGES USED - Price's Corner

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

So, are you attempting to say that "if" a hunter does not shoot an 8mm Rem Mag or a 340 Weatherby then he's selling himself "short" ? You tout the 220 SBT as the do all, end all "big game" bullet (and don't get me wrong, I have been using that very bullet in my 325 WSM and it killed a BC moose handily) but there are a couple of points I challenge - Sierra themselves will answer, when asked, that the 220/8mm and 250/338 are built "more stoutly" than the rest on the list, that fact "might" be sort of misleading to someone shooting a .284 or .30 magnum as the 7mm/175 or .30/200 just plain will not act the same when asked to penetrate or stay together (and THAT fact I DO have personal experience with) - Another pertinent topic, albeit a touchy one, is the FACT that at some point "we hunters and shooters" will be faced with lead bullets being illegal to use - I know, I know ! that comes from "liberal land" and is phony B.S. but how many of us scoffed at the prospect of lead shot becoming illegal and now it seems, that in some venues anyway, lead shot for upland or turkey will not be allowed either - A "hunter" may have to hunt his chosen quarry for 2 lifetimes to encounter it but it's nevertheless a fact of physics that a Sierra Boat tail WILL fail you sooner or later just like shooting an elk with a ballistic tip, no matter WHAT it weighs, will as well - To write an article that "could" be taken as gospel, leading a lesser experienced hunter down a path of false security seems irresponsible to me - It seems that Sierra has lagged behind somewhat in R&D since we now have E-Tips, GMX's, and Barnes ... to even appear to say that one does not "need" a Barnes bullet is ludicrous, and even though it is "your" right to shoot whatever bullet you choose (as long as it is legal to do so) AND I'll defend to the death, your right for that choice I disagree with your assertions and possibly your motives for saying it - "IF" you think so highly of C&C bullets why not shoot 140 or even 120 ballistic tips instead of 140 Accubonds in your 7mm-08 ? Barnes took the lead in monolithic R&D and ended up with, arguably, a truly "end all / do all" bullet and to downplay their need, effectiveness OR value to the hunting bullet world deserves scrutiny - and "for the record" I like and use Accubonds alot but would never ridicule another for using or liking another brand or design - Now let the sarcasm begin "professor" .......

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    So, are you attempting to say that "if" a hunter does not shoot an 8mm Rem Mag or a 340 Weatherby then he's selling himself "short" ? You tout the 220 SBT as the do all, end all "big game" bullet (and don't get me wrong, I have been using that very bullet in my 325 WSM and it killed a BC moose handily) but there are a couple of points I challenge - Sierra themselves will answer, when asked, that the 220/8mm and 250/338 are built "more stoutly" than the rest on the list, that fact "might" be sort of misleading to someone shooting a .284 or .30 magnum as the 7mm/175 or .30/200 just plain will not act the same when asked to penetrate or stay together (and THAT fact I DO have personal experience with) - Another pertinent topic, albeit a touchy one, is the FACT that at some point "we hunters and shooters" will be faced with lead bullets being illegal to use - I know, I know ! that comes from "liberal land" and is phony B.S. but how many of us scoffed at the prospect of lead shot becoming illegal and now it seems, that in some venues anyway, lead shot for upland or turkey will not be allowed either - A "hunter" may have to hunt his chosen quarry for 2 lifetimes to encounter it but it's nevertheless a fact of physics that a Sierra Boat tail WILL fail you sooner or later just like shooting an elk with a ballistic tip, no matter WHAT it weighs, will as well - To write an article that "could" be taken as gospel, leading a lesser experienced hunter down a path of false security seems irresponsible to me - It seems that Sierra has lagged behind somewhat in R&D since we now have E-Tips, GMX's, and Barnes ... to even appear to say that one does not "need" a Barnes bullet is ludicrous, and even though it is "your" right to shoot whatever bullet you choose (as long as it is legal to do so) AND I'll defend to the death, your right for that choice I disagree with your assertions and possibly your motives for saying it - "IF" you think so highly of C&C bullets why not shoot 140 or even 120 ballistic tips instead of 140 Accubonds in your 7mm-08 ? Barnes took the lead in monolithic R&D and ended up with, arguably, a truly "end all / do all" bullet and to downplay their need, effectiveness OR value to the hunting bullet world deserves scrutiny - and "for the record" I like and use Accubonds alot but would never ridicule another for using or liking another brand or design - Now let the sarcasm begin "professor" .......
    Holy **** you got all that out of that article???? I must of read a different article????? Pretty sure Snyd here on the forums shoots 220 Sierras out of his 325 he talked to Sierra they told him they use heavier jackets on 8mm 220's... My dad granted he is a turd loves the Sierra bullets swears by them! I doubt he's ever bought a box of Barnes bullets... Nosler well since nosler is 40 miles from his house of course he shoots noslers but I bet he isn't shooting partitions... There is that older generation that still swears by the old stand by Sierra game kings Hornady interlocks Speer hot-cor/magtip... Good read by the way

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I guess, if there was an "Optimum Bullet" for a cartridge we wouldn't have so many of them. The whole premise seems to be a little silly to me.

All the interest in Special bullets is mostly prompted by Advertising, and the gullible folks who read it like it was Gospel.

It's a simple Marketing Approach. Create a need in the minds of the consumer, and then fill that need.

Our actual needs vary with our pursuits, and our equipment and the particular situation, and we ain't never gonna get'em exactly right.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Right on Smitty! Too many variables to pick a lone winner IMO. I reckon if one can get a pass thru on any game animal shot at everytime they would all drop dead, so a solid or FMJ, might fill that bill. Stranger shoots a ton of critters with old military FMJ bullets and thats pretty convincing to me...Gotta make a hole to get them to leak out...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

then why drive a "powerstroke" when a naturally aspirated diesel will get ya there ? or get 10 ply tires when the old 6 plys hold air just fine ?........ I didn't "actually say" that a Sierra SBT wouldn't get the job done, "sooner or later" can be a long long time ....... why is it that one person can make an "authorative statement" that is not necessarily "technically" correct yet another argues that point and all HECK breaks lose - and .... I spoke with an engineer at Sierra back in '09 and was told the very same thing about the thicker jackets, etc with 220/8mm & 250/338 SBT's AND my 220 tipped over the moose in short order BUT it still came apart ! (dead moose, bullet apart = factual information) NOW, I chose the 325 WSM and 220's because I was being a "posse" about bears so "IF" I had been defending myself would the outcome have been different ? we'll never know BUT if I do a hunt in a big bear area again AND choose the 325WSM AGAIN I will be shooting either 220 TBB's or 220 A-Frame's (Snyd appears to know totally what he's doing and makes his choice based on what he thinks but I don't remember him telling me I should use them, just sharing some load data and findings) in elk country I'll either get that 325 to finally shoot 200 Accubonds to my satisfaction or take the '06 (shooting Accubonds) because, I personally, don't trust the Sierra's 100% and I have the right to make that choice for whatever reasons I choose ........ Now, "maybe" an Accubond is just a child of "good marketing", who am I to judge that BUT they work and they work as advertised, like partitions do - Barnes bullets ? they don't blow up, when they don't "expand" they do leave a hole and they are as inherently accurate as most other "hunting bullet" so it would appear that they seem to do pretty much what the maker says they will do - how does one challenge that ? If Sierra completely trusted their SBT's they would not sell the Pro-Hunters IMO

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    then why drive a "powerstroke" when a naturally aspirated diesel will get ya there ? or get 10 ply tires when the old 6 plys hold air just fine ?........ I didn't "actually say" that a Sierra SBT wouldn't get the job done, "sooner or later" can be a long long time ....... why is it that one person can make an "authorative statement" that is not necessarily "technically" correct yet another argues that point and all HECK breaks lose - and .... I spoke with an engineer at Sierra back in '09 and was told the very same thing about the thicker jackets, etc with 220/8mm & 250/338 SBT's AND my 220 tipped over the moose in short order BUT it still came apart ! (dead moose, bullet apart = factual information) NOW, I chose the 325 WSM and 220's because I was being a "posse" about bears so "IF" I had been defending myself would the outcome have been different ? we'll never know BUT if I do a hunt in a big bear area again AND choose the 325WSM AGAIN I will be shooting either 220 TBB's or 220 A-Frame's (Snyd appears to know totally what he's doing and makes his choice based on what he thinks but I don't remember him telling me I should use them, just sharing some load data and findings) in elk country I'll either get that 325 to finally shoot 200 Accubonds to my satisfaction or take the '06 (shooting Accubonds) because, I personally, don't trust the Sierra's 100% and I have the right to make that choice for whatever reasons I choose ........ Now, "maybe" an Accubond is just a child of "good marketing", who am I to judge that BUT they work and they work as advertised, like partitions do - Barnes bullets ? they don't blow up, when they don't "expand" they do leave a hole and they are as inherently accurate as most other "hunting bullet" so it would appear that they seem to do pretty much what the maker says they will do - how does one challenge that ? If Sierra completely trusted their SBT's they would not sell the Pro-Hunters IMO
    Me thinks you dont like Mr. Price article... Well buddy I shot a bull moose on my winter hunt and I used 300gr Sierra boattails. One dead ass moose and no bullet complete pass thru. I was using a 375 Ultra mag. So I would recommend a sierra bullet all day long, along with the Speer bullets as well.

323 - I just take exception to one person seeming to know it all and direct others down that path for the sake of ego, that's all - As I have stated before, I have used 220's in my 325 WSM with deadly results but that does not mean they will ALWAYS do that because kill, wound or miss they DO come apart on impact - I don't think it a "wise" move to attempt to shoot a moose or elk with a 270 or 7mm SBT either so what are we all supposed to do ? Run out and all purchase 8mm mags, 340 Weatherbys, 375 RUM's and the such ? "ONE" of the points to be made is that, if one wanted to be so foolish, you could go moose hunting with a 243 or 25.06 stoked with a Barnes, ETip, GMX or the like and expect penetration on your intended target just the same as a Barnes, ETip or GMX, etc would also penetrate AND stay together when shot from a 8mm mag, 340 Weatherby or 375 RUM, Can that be said about Sierra boattail gamekings ? As far as I am concerned anyone who wants to can use the Sierras and I "might" in the future myself BUT they are not nor will ever be THE ONLY bullet best suited to all occasions from even a moderate cross section of cartridges - and that's all I have to say about that ......

I don't think there is an optimum bullet for any cartridge without taking into account the animal you intend to shoot and the range at which you intend to shoot them. I probably wouldn't pick the same bullet for hunting sheep as I would for hunting coastal brown bear with the 8mm Rem. Same way with the 7mm08. I probably wouldn't use the ideal sheep bullet for sheep as I may have to use the same rifle for bear when I was packing out. Or at least I would have two different loads with me. A bullet has to work differently from one animal to the next (brown bear vs blacktail deer) and it would have to work from very low velocity (1200?) to very high (3000+) to be perfect. I'm still waiting for that one.

Aren't the circumstances you describe what makes common sense so important ? Nothing can be killed too dead ......