Thread: Lashing cataraft tubes together to make canoe

Default Lashing cataraft tubes together to make canoe

Has anyone tried tying cataract tubes together to make cataract more like a canoe ? Does this make a stable platform or is it to high and prone to tipping over

If you're talking about cataraft tubes, then yes, it is possible. Unfortunately most tubes are too fat to make it work very well. One of the best candidates is the AIRE Cougar, with it's smaller 18" tube diameter. With the Cougar you get two twin tubes, which are laced together with nylon rope. So you really get two "canoes" if you wanted to rig them that way. You would have to remove the existing lacing and put in a longer one, which would allow the tubes to separate a bit. Then I would consider putting in a seat of some kind in order to keep them separated. You'd need a longer canoe paddle to make it work, but it would work. A friend and I talked about this idea many years ago, but never got around to testing it. It would be an interesting variation on the Cata-Canoe concept.

The Cougar is not a production-run boat, but you can order it from AIRE directly or you can purchase it locally from Alaska Raft and Kayak. You can read more about the boat AT THIS LINK (which contains the specifications of the boat), and on THIS PAGE under our "Big Load Haulers" section.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Jacks Plastic has the Pack Cats and the larger framed Cutthroats (own on of these myself) that are both a kind of narrow Cat, similar to what you are talking about... They work but they definitely arn't as stable with the narrow profile, still more stable than a canoe tho... I did some whitewater in my Cutthroat and it was ok. Became much better once I doubled the frame width.

Often wondered about somebody doing this with an AIRE Super Leopard; by using a frame narrow enough, that the smaller/inner (15") tubes touch down the middle. Might not be as stable as a cataraft that's spread apart. But, a Super Leopard squeezed together, would still be almost 7 feet wide, and the bigger (26.5") tubes would be on the outside, providing a decent amount of stability?

Also, wonder how it would work, with a bigger than normal outboard motor pushing it?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Often wondered about somebody doing this with an AIRE Super Leopard; by using a frame narrow enough, that the smaller/inner (15") tubes touch down the middle. Might not be as stable as a cataraft that's spread apart. But, a Super Leopard squeezed together, would still be almost 7 feet wide, and the bigger (26.5") tubes would be on the outside, providing a decent amount of stability?

Also, wonder how it would work, with a bigger than normal outboard motor pushing it?
    The open space between the inside tubes on a Super Leopard, rigged with a standard-width frame, is only about 11". It wouldn't really be worth it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Thanx Mike.
    Kinda agree that for floating, it wouldn't change things very much. But, I'm still curious about motor operations. Would squeezing the tubes together on a Super Leopard solve the dual bow-wave/spray problem? If yes, then it might make the cost of a second (narrow) set of frame cross-bars "worth it".
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Thanx Mike.
    Kinda agree that for floating, it wouldn't change things very much. But, I'm still curious about motor operations. Would squeezing the tubes together on a Super Leopard solve the dual bow-wave/spray problem? If yes, then it might make the cost of a second (narrow) set of frame cross-bars "worth it".
    Drawing the tubes together is not going to solve the spray issue, because the water under the hull is under vertical pressure. It's going to squirt up between all the tubes, anywhere there is the slightest gap. You have to absolutely block that with some kind of barrier. A rubber seal of some kind, laced into the lacing between tubes will work for each side, but the space between the tube sets also needs a barrier. That one is a bit more tricky.

-Mike