Thread: Pike in Big Su

Default Pike in Big Su

Last year I caught 2 pike in the Kashwitna near my cabin wich is about 12 miles up from the Big su. Thats not good.... any reports of pike in Willow or Sheep Creek, or any other streams that run into the Big Su on that side of the Big Su?

Haven't herd of any yet.

Deska has a little creek on the right side about 2 miles up that has pike. Fish creek off kroto has pike also

Default other side of river

yep, I knew there were pike on the other side of the river, but the Kashwitna is between Sheep Creek and Willow Creek. on this side of the Big Su.

Joe,
    Were they hammer handles or bigger pike? I wonder how long they have been in there? I suspect that pike will be all over the drainage in a few years. There was even a sign at Lake Louise last year about them and that is along haul. I have heard of pike near Talkeetna in the sloughs, but I have not tried to find them yet.

Mike

Default pike

They were both around 18 inches. The Kashwitna at that time was real silty like it usually is. I just came upon a little slew that came off the river that had some clear water in it. The little slew was small, about 10 yards by 25 yards. There were only 2 fish in the slew, both pike. In two casts with an egg sucking purple leach I had 2 pike. weird........

pike have been there for a while, they use the stream habitat as migration corridors to try to find better pike habitat, which there isn't too much of on the parks highway streams.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default pike

Were were fishing out of the susitina landing two years ago when the kashwitna flooed one weekend. Ron had to haul in a bunch of material to fill her back in. It was like way up into the trees and we were wading through one of the new back sloughs parking the boat for the night. I actually was on step drivng my boat through the parking lot. And we spooked some hammer handles out of the shallows.