Thread: Oct 1st, ice and bruised ankles.

Default Oct 1st, ice and bruised ankles.

Went out real early this morning, was thinking about hunting decoys, decided not too after I sat and watched for about 20 min before shooting light and not a single bird flew over. So I went jump shooting instead.. I was ready to call it quits and accept the fact that I was going to get skunked and not fire a single shot, then eventually found an area the birds seemed to want to be. I set up on a muskrat house and just shot the birds that passed over, it was pretty slow shooting and took me until about 10:15 to shoot a limit, but hey that's pretty good when you think you were going to get skunked! I bust so much ice today I think I am going to have bruises all up and down my legs. Finding/chasing cripples sucked today! I'm not going to black out the backround in this pic, if you find this area, and hike 3 hours to get there, then you earned those smelly little ducks!Oct 1st 2012 6 pintails, 1 spoonie, 1 mallard.jpg

Those birds brought the body count to 113 for this year...

Nice Shooting! I really hope the damage hasn't been done with everything freezing up for a couple days. It's probably getting close to the time to start hunting lakes. Those divers should be moving in!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Good stuff man..long hikes for sure. Looks like you got a spoonie in there as well..almost as bad as DS56..lol

lot of walking there for sure...you can have that..congrats on a great day though.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Nice!!! Hopefully most of that ice will melt by the time I get back tthis weekend so I will be able to get out and find some birds.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Went out real early this morning, was thinking about hunting decoys, decided not too after I sat and watched for about 20 min before shooting light and not a single bird flew over. So I went jump shooting instead.. I was ready to call it quits and accept the fact that I was going to get skunked and not fire a single shot, then eventually found an area the birds seemed to want to be. I set up on a muskrat house and just shot the birds that passed over, it was pretty slow shooting and took me until about 10:15 to shoot a limit, but hey that's pretty good when you think you were going to get skunked! I bust so much ice today I think I am going to have bruises all up and down my legs. Finding/chasing cripples sucked today! I'm not going to black out the backround in this pic, if you find this area, and hike 3 hours to get there, then you earned those smelly little ducks!Oct 1st 2012 6 pintails, 1 spoonie, 1 mallard.jpg
    I'm confused, maybe you can clear some things up for me. You must have stayed at the parking area until almost shooting time, since you stated you were watching for ducks for the first 20 minutes and decided against the deks. Shooting time is about 7:30 and you had your limit by 10:15 and you call that slow. Any time you can limit in less the 3 hrs it is a very successful day. Then you say it was a 3 hr hike out to where you hunted, but were done hunting in less then 3 hrs after shooting time, I am guessing you were jump shooting on the hike out. Some things just confuse my feeble mind. Bud
    Wasilla

You're thinking too hard.

Here's the short version

He went hunting, he got a limit of ducks, it was icy.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    You're thinking too hard.

Here's the short version

He went hunting, he got a limit of ducks, it was icy.
    LOL!! Bud, I hiked out there well before shooting light, there is hardly ever birds near the parking lot, that wouldn't be a good place to judge if the birds were flying or not! I only had to walk an additional hour past where I was going to set decoys. I had shotgun in hand the whole time, but I didn't start "Hunting" and actually expecting to get anything until around 0800 or 0830ish.