Thread: Newbie Outboard Question - Forward Outboard control

Default Newbie Outboard Question - Forward Outboard control

Dear All

Hopefully, some you grey haired (?!?!) wise boat guys can help me out, since I am new to world of boats (but loving it)! Have purchased a Tohatsu 15hp manual 4 stroke and its working great so far. However, after a season on the rivers and lakes here in the North, I want to make a modification (don't we all!). Ideally I want to move the steering position forward 10 ft or so to help with trim, balance and control.

Now, I have searched a lot on line, but cant seem to find the answers to some very basic questions. Can I install a mechanical steering system (I have no electrics) such that I could operate via a forward steering wheel - and what about the throttle control? Is there any way on earth I can take the tension twist throttle control and "move it forwards" too? My thinking is it is probably best to just stick with a basic tiller extension - but I am a curious tinker (which is a dangerous combination) and thought Id ask first!

Thanks in advance for all and any advice!

I am not so wise, but the grey hair is working to overcome the brown hair daily....

You can buy steering kits online that will allow you to move everything forward. Do a google search and you'll come up with something that will work for you. You will most likely need to replace your current sterring and throttle controls rather than extend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am not so wise, but the grey hair is working to overcome the brown hair daily....

You can buy steering kits online that will allow you to move everything forward. Do a google search and you'll come up with something that will work for you. You will most likely need to replace your current sterring and throttle controls rather than extend them.
    Agreed. I ain't gray, but does bald count?

If you're using a tiller now, you'll find about everything you need for the conversion in kits. Here is the steering conversion I used. Here are the control cables. Can't find the throttle and shift control unit at the moment, yet that was the hardest to come up with. Sorry. You could certainly recover one from an older boat if you can manage that.

Another issue will be a console for mounting your steering wheel, and even those might be available from the boat maker for some models. But it not, you can spend lots of money if someone makes it for you, or effort if you make it yourself. I retro'ed an older Lund, but managed to keep it simple by finding a short console originally intended for a Zodiak. Rather than mounting it in the center I mounted it on the starboard side for better movement in the boat. No pics, but it worked well.

Www.tohatsu.com will show you the controls. Steering will need to be on a wheel/helm. The cheap approach is an extension handle.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff